My 78 FJ40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the early portion of the build basically when I went to get it to what it is 3 months later. I have received so much help from you guys and read enough of these that I wanted to do one myself so enjoy.

First off I found this FJ40 on this site on a Wednesday morning. I had an FJ60 that I was daily driving at the time and always wanted a 40. When this one came up for sale I new I had to have it, and since I had been looking forever for one I could afford I jumped on it. A lot of you probably remember this one in the classified's a couple months ago.

So anyway I jumped in my week old Xterra (fiancee was ecstatic that I was buying two cars in a month period) stopped by U HAUL to get a trailer and headed for Birmingham (about 2 hours away). The guy I bought it from had the cruiser for the last 15 years and used it as a daily driver. Before that his father had driven it for about 6 years.

Here are some photos of the first fill up at a gas station on the way home. We went to Taco Bell across the street and the first attempt to buy happened. A guy walks in and says "Who's FJ40 is that outside?"
Photos from phone 003.jpg
Photos from phone 004.jpg
Photos from phone 005.jpg

Looks really nice and wish I had one just like it. Any immediate plans/changes? Looks like a swell stock rig:cheers:

man, i remember when this popped up in the classifieds. i posted right after and sent him a pm and told him i would buy it. never heard from him and i was wondering what happened to it. glad it went to somebody that's gonna give it some love. does it have automatic locking hubs? or are they just flanges that aren't selectable? looks great-excellent buy.

Nice rig! That pic on the tow dolly reminds me of the day I brought my 73 FJ40 home.

Man, that's a good looking cruiser you have there. If you ever need help or just somebody else to talk cruisers with I'm in Huntsville as well as my buddy. I don't know a lot but might be able to help with things that I've been through. We both have 40's and love everything land cruiser. You should also check out bamableach's build thread.

Cheers!

Congrats and have fun! I just bought a '78 and had it shipped to OH from CA. The carb had been rebuilt, it starts right up and I drive it often. Put new tires on it, cleaned it up, and am enjoying broadening my horizons while building confidence in the vehicle.
FJ 40 040resize.jpg

dwh84 I am going to add you to my buddy list. All us local 40 guys should get together and plan a ride sometime. My buddy Mayfield has an awesome 79, he's got everything rebuild and every bell and whistle, it is rhino lined in case you have seen it around town.

And thanks for the complements on the doors, they are the only perfect part on the cruiser but I'll take it.

Those drive flanges are not worth anything - you should give them to me!

Also, to post more pictures you have to buy a silver star (see at top of forum page).

Looks like a nice truck, good luck! Keep your fiancee happy though, if she's anything like mine she's worth a heck of a lot more to me than a piece of rusting metal!

Hey - I lived in Birmingham when I was just a little kid - but that was before Toyota made Landcruisers. Is the Vulcan still there?

... It has the non selectable drive flanges right now ... I'd like to see those too. I've always wondered why so many 78s seem to have Warn hubs... dealer installed?, etc.

Hows the rust inside - the rear sill looks like the usual toast. Poke around with something sharp under the roll bar mount brackets/rear wheel covers. Are you showing the "good side" - what's that yellow on the passenger side?

Looks pretty good to me - and you have the best color/year ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom