Fiberglass Top and A Rattling Window (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to see a 78 landcruiser today, and its the first fj40 I've seen/driven with the intent to buy. I wont be purchasing this particular example, to many unknown leaks, strange aftermarket upgrades, plus a bad respray color change. Ive been researching landcruisers for about a year now, and thought I was prepared, but some things caught me off guard.

He mentioned to me that the top speed, when in 4th gear, is 62-3mph is that right? I thought there was a bit more top end than that?

The top wasn't original to the vehicle, It did have ambulance doors but it didn't have the rear sliding windows, and it had a fiberglass roof. Did some cruisers come with fiberglass roofs, that seemed strange to me? This ones drip rails seemed really mangled and the fiberglass part had really bad orange peal.

See pics here.

The drivers side door was a bit out of plumb and very difficult to close. The thing I wasn't prepared for, was what seemed to be an excessive rattle while the window was rolled up 90% of the way. Do the windows on these vehicles rattle really bad? Or is there something to shore up the window in the door so it doesn't rattle that bad. He rolled it down a bit because he said the windows fog up if he doesn't crack the windows.

Thanks, just trying to get as much education as possible before I actually buy one of these.

Fibreglass roof is standard on a 40.

If the window Chanels are bad they can rattle. Rattles are more common in pre 75 doors.

Top speed is variable. They're most comfortable below 65. Many will go faster, but they're a short wheelbase tractor, so top speed isn't their intended design.

Spend a little more time reviewing some restoration threads. The restoration threads give you valuable view into what lurks behind the patches, bad body work and ill fitting panels/doors etc. That patch on the rear panel indicates a big hole!

40s didn't have sliding windows (unless aftermarket sliding windows were installed). 1977 and later 40s had pop-out vent windows.

Fibreglass roof is standard on a 40.

If the window Chanels are bad they can rattle. Rattles are more common in pre 75 doors.

Top speed is variable. They're most comfortable below 65. Many will go faster, but they're a short wheelbase tractor, so top speed isn't their intended design.

It was the two piece doors that were the main cause. The cracks that developed at the base of the vent window after years of washboard road made it rattle even worse.

40s didn't have sliding windows (unless aftermarket sliding windows were installed). 1977 and later 40s had pop-out vent windows.
while not here in the US market Toyota did have sliding windows in some markets. Believe they were standard on LX models with it's forward facing rear seat. Most hard top troop carriers had them on all four windows on the sides.

You can meet a few of the seattle cruiserheads at Hellbent Brewing on Lake City Way this Wednesday after 6pm. There are still a few 40s left in the group that you can look at and learn about.

I saw that on the calendar. Im going to try to maker it over there. I take a class on Wednesday nights but I think the timing may work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom