Felt wiper bolt snapped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever snap an axle knuckle felt wiper bolt? If so, how do I get the broken bolt out without taking the whole knuckle apart again? I was checking the bolts after finishing the job to be sure they were snug and the last bolt I checked snapped off and I really don't want to take it apart again. Any input is much appreciated.

Get a 4mm left hand drill bit, or right hand drill bit 3mm, and an eze out

You don't need to remove any of the knuckle to remove/replace those bolts. You're probably fine leaving it as is. If you want to replace the bolt, you'll want to remove the 2 other bolts holding that half of the wiper backing plate, then try and carefully drill out the portion stuck in the knuckle.

If you have a Dremel & it snapped close to flush, use a HSS bit & etch a slot in it, back it out with a screwdriver - no torque on it now, should back out fairly easy.

When i helped my friend do his knuckle rebuild, we notice more then one of those little bolts had damage towards the head of the bolt that looked like the threads had been smashed flat. What we found when we did our inspected, the top three or four threads on those small bolts were rubbing against the bolt holes in the sheet metal that clamps the felt seal in place. It seems that the bolt holes in the sheet metal clamp* don't line up very well with the bolt holes in the knuckle housing. Had we not caught that damage before we started his reassembly, we could of ended up with more then one broken bolt. So it might not be a bad idea to get into the habit of checking these bolts for thread damage when rebuilding your front knuckle. *This seems to be a problem with the aftermarket sheet metal clamps, not factory Toyota parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom