FAQs - Step 1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great idea guys.

Probably obvious, but IMHO, the key to these things is to take some time on the front end to establish a logical system/format/infrustructure for what you're trying to accomplish. Without it, you can end up with a lot of information in an unorganized and somewhat unusable mess. You may determine some of the other forums have good systems in place to pull ideas on how to structure this one.

Sounds like a good idea, as mentioned above, to establish a heirarchy of main categories that branch into sub-categories. A flow chart of sorts.

If done right, this could be a priceless addition to the forum. I'm not much on the technical end yet, and haven't been on this forum long, but would be glad to help any way you see fit.

:beer:
Rookie2

Consider a (seperate but linked) WIKI site for FAQ's .
In that way anyone can add.

Also look to link to other cruisers sites via links or search (birfield, lcool, pirate, 4x4, etc.) that have specific links (2nd battery, adding an air compressor etc.)

the FAQ on the aussie sight (in suzuki section i think) outerlimits4x4.com is pretty useful and easy to search i think.

#edit# not in the suzuki section, but in a few others. the RC forum's is good

M1 vs Dino/ other synth's
How to improve MPG (LOL)
Somewhere I read a great page regarding the dangers of K&N filters
Oil filters which and why
Where Factory roof rack rusts, why, repair.
how to make rear seats recline.
Bling Bling (gold plate) removal
Leather care

Hye can i Hvae teh linc for bad typing and huw NOt tO poSt
fAvE

Junk,

Do you want to gather my past posts, or if you wait a couple of days, I can edit them into an Oil FAQ. I could also edit my info on lights that I just posted and add information about aux lights. Let me know.

Cary

JUNK- i will go through posts, pilfer slees suggestions and try to come up with a list of usuall supsension FAQs (what do i need to run 33s 35s 36 and up.. also all vibration issues and link lots of other write ups..... drivelines , caster (that deserves its own section) and try to put all of it in an outline form... good idea on people in charge of each topic.

Cary - that would be perfect and greatly appreciated. Thank you. If it's easier to put stuff in word, that's cool. Just email it to me at mike@yourlandcruiser.com Light info would definitely be a major plus - don't know how I forgot that one.

NW-sickboy - Thanks. Yes, I figure the best way to get this done is having some help from folks that know what they are doing. Heaven knows I don't :D. Yes, anything you could add would be appreciated. No worries on pilfering anything from Christo. I'll double check with him and GC (from the LCOOL list). I'm sure with links added, no one would mind, but will check first just to make sure.

Thanks again everyone. Keep them coming please.

I'll unsticky this for tomorrow, but promise to keep everyone updated as we move along.

This is now unstickied and will work itself into the archives.

Thanks for all the great recommendations, and remember to forward any more thoughts you have on this.
grinning-smiley-003.gif

J -

Thanks for picking this up. I don't doubt for a minute that just about everything we need to know is either already in the archives, or in the heads of one or more knowledgeable members. Locating the info is always the issue, or hoping the aforementioned expert happens to read your post.

This is going to take some time, but IMHO, you shouldn't rush it or you will end up with an unmanageable number of links of redundant, speculative info which has always been one of the basic problems.

I like Cary's approach best: Consolidate the best info.

Also, interaction with others - by stickies as suggested, or otherwise - to prevent biases where appropriate will result in better FAQS.

I would be glad to take on the subject of "Communication" installations: CB, ham radio, HF, VHF, antennas, etc. This is not one of the subjects in most demand, and it's a good thing because it will take some time.

Thanks again for your contribution Junk.

Cheers, R -

Ron,
Good topic and something that comes up every so often but when you're in the midst of planning a radio and installation you need vehicle specific information (where to mount stuff) as well as expert knowledge in radios. I was given a lot of very good information when planning the CB mods and installation thanks to you, Hugh, and several others.

-B-

i don't know who hosts this site, but if the FAQ needed to be elsewhere, i have server space

Don't forget the single most important topic there is: ;)

HOW TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!

All hail JUNK! :flipoff2:

Ok folks. The update is we are starting to get some FAQs done. I need some help though. If anyone would like to volunteer to help with any of the topics, please send me a PM and go ahead and start. I only ask for a PM so that I can let you know if someone else is already doing it. Cary did a great job with the headlights, but do not let that scare you off. The important thing is to get it rolling and we will continue to edit, clean up etc as we go.

So please, if you would like to help, it would be appreciated.
Thanks <- LOL, and you know how hard that is for me to say that. :flipoff2: :D

Title a FAQ: Torque Specs

Lots of questions on these, lugnuts on aluminum, lugnuts on steel, plugs etc. etc.

Another topic to add: Diff / T-case breather extensions

We have come a long way!

Bumping up an old thread. There may be topics in here that are not yet in the FAQs. I'm sure there will always be more topics than volunteers to consolidate the information. Still nice to see what was recommended.

If I have a few minutes I like to search on a random topic and marvel at the depth of information we have here. (ex. Search "fuse links" and discover the answer to a problem that would have stumped you or left you stranded).

Did I hear you say Volunteers!

reffug and I would love the help and there are currently a few members working on FAQ write-ups. You have anything in mind?

As a first post newbie may I suggest something we often do at work with FAQ's:

Accronym key. Acronym's are often a rite of passage but it's amazing how difficult it can be sometimes to figure them out! Not too often does search yeild both the acronym as well as it's definition. Just a suggestion..

CDL
FSM
USDS
DS/PS
JDM
etc

I've been reading this 80 tech forum for weeks, several hours per day, and really appreciate all the input. I also manage a FAQ on another subject so know what a PITA it can be to get people to contribute and how much personal work it can take.

As a long time fan of the 416s, D110, Fj55 and now 80 I look forward to finding a good 80 to purchase soon. It best fits our needs.

I appreciate all the work here!

James in Dallas TX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom