1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAQs - Step 1

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Junk, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Junk

Junk

Several, including me, have mentioned the desire to start a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). So this is the first step.

This may not be the ideal process, but in order to get the idea up and working, here is what we're going to do.

Step 1: Identify FAQ topics. This is just a starting point and more can and will be added. To start, I have identified; EGR, front end rebuild, part numbers, tire sizes, lift and winches. This thread will be placed as a sticky for just a few days, so that if you have a desire to see another topic added, please respond so it may be considered. After more topics have been added, the stickiness will disapear like superchargers during a sale. :eek:

Step 2: Indentify and/or create threads to be linked to specific FAQs. An example of this would be all the fine work Kurt and others have done with the EGR threads. Another would be Jim Phillips and the front end. B with several topics, Cdan, Christo, Robbie, Gumby and a host of others.

Step 2A: Will be me sending requests to several members to spend some time and draft up notes on a few processes. Something like this may be with Cary and all the therads we've seen on oil etc.

Step 3: Launching the FAQ's. At first, and this may change quickly, a sticky will be placed at the top. The sticky would contain a listing of topics with links to threads and articles covering that topic.

Folks, please bear with this. I would appreciate any feedback or comments on this. I think this would be a huge help for everyone. I realize this may not be the ideal way to get this done, but getting it done and functional is the important thing. We can deal with format and other issues later. Maybe eventually a lot of them will turn into tech articles, but the key is to get the ball rolling.

So please, if you have a suggestion, either for the process or adding FAQ topics, please respond to this.

Thank you.

2. NW-sickboy

NW-sickboy

if christo was cool with it you could use snips from his site where alot of tech stuff is discussed.... i dont know why he wouldnt.(but what the F*&% do i know)...maybe if we linked to it..... good traffic for him...... here is a forum that has a good outline for FAQs.... just a thought. it is also a sticky and keeps repeat threads to a minimium http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173918 ... also include 80 buying tips, ........year specific changes ie. trannies and engines

3. Riley

Riley

Great idea Junk.. ;)

let me propose:

- starter contacts
    - lockers not engaging and rebuilding the OEM locker
    - running dual battery system
    - improving and PM for brake system (running 100 pads, turning rotors (not) and new brake fluid)
    - PHH (thanks landtank)

more to follow.... Good idea to just get this started and morph it over time. :cheers:

Riley

4. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

Those stickies might be linked to another group. Kind of a tree setup. A sticky for Mods, Maintenane, Repair and so on. Then when you linked it would have the sub areas such as cooling, suspension, axles and so on.

5. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

Junk:

GREAT IDEA! Stickied at the top (could also refernce links):

- Water on DS floor/sun roof leak
    - Water in sills
    - Heater not blowing hot
    - Lighting upgrades (stock system and aux lights)
    - Removing running boards/installing sliders
    - Cooling system (the 'right' coolant to use)
    - Supercharger install (and vs. Turbo)
    - Blown Head Gasket - Do I have one?
    - PHH
    - The 'right' fluids to use (synthetic for oil, xcase, tranny, diffs)
    - 2nd Fuse block
    - Upgrading 12V to high amp unit
    - Installing CB / other radio (including antenna)
    - When and How to use diff locks (FF, RR and Center)
    - Seat Covers and floor guards
    - Installing cargo barriers
    - Proper install of child seats
    - What should I look for if I buy...should I buy, etc
    - Common areas for rust
    - Where to buy FSM / should I buy CD version / etc
    - Drawer units - commercial and custom fab
    - Preparing to cross the river (AKA driving in water)
    - Centre Diff lock install and shift (pin) mod
    - Use of rear cross member to tow and Pintle Hooks
    - etc!

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Hugh has mentioned a vast majority of often asked questions. Excelent overview.

It appears that he forgot to address where an acceptable place to obtain replacement parts might be. ::)

7. Safado

Safado

one that comes to mind quickly, I'l edit with others later is teh write-up on the antenna repair, and CB antenna placement/purchase. More to come.

8. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    Junk: Thanks a TON for coordinating this...

Tech articles: Creation of these is a BREEZE on my end....really. If someone collects the text and images, creating the tech page itself becomes a cut-paste project. Something like this:

Simply put, email a .txt file with the attachments separately, and pasting that into a html tech article is VERY easy.

9. shocker

shocker

CDN mentioned cooling system, it seems that coolant flush comes up quite a bit.

Once a list of FAQ's is finalized, I can help search for the relevant MUD posts for each topic, if it's needed.

10. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

There's a good diagram out there explaining the difference between f/r/c diff locks, how they work, etc - anyone remember this? Would be helpful to us newbs. Also - "D" indicator bulb, power antenna, aftermarket stereo/speakers, alarm system info, start-up rattle, slow power windows, driveline slack (clunk), use of "smaller oil filter." Maybe even something on "will my used 80 w/ 100k miles leak if I switch to synthetic?" Having only become an 80 owner within the last year some of these are quesions I've had.
    Mi dos centavos senor Junk.
    -Jason

11. Wrench

Wrench One Bashed Up 80

How to roll an 80.

12. TomH

TomH SILVER Star

[quote author=Wrench link=board=2;threadid=11578;start=msg105662#msg105662 date=1076950340]
    How to roll an 80.
    [/quote]

Good idea, however i think how not to roll an 80 might be better.

13. Pitbull

Pitbull

I suggest you steal what 80'scool has already done and then add to it. :slap:

14. nakman

nakman addict. Supporting Vendor

MoJ - I think you're thinking about the 80'scool page that Pitbull just mentioned, http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/george_couyant/diffs/diffs.html

Anyone mention rear axle service yet? If not that should be in there too.. and is this just for 80 series? If not I'd throw in FJ62 t-case solenoids too, that comes up all the time.

15. 92Cruiser

92Cruiser

Sounds like a good idea to me too. But, I have a question/comment. I would guess that almost everything that could be talked about with our trucks has been covered. That said, if we have links to all the answers we won't need to talk anymore. :p

Brian

16. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    Junk, I suggest in order to move this along we add a temporary 80/100 FAQ forum and then set up threads on a bunch of FAQ topics to allow people to post thoughts, details and/or links useful for the FAQ. At that point it is much easier for the volunteers to pull that info together and create a FAQ (and they are less likely to be second guessed). Just make it a rule that only you or some other person can start a thread on that forum so control is not lost.

I will volunteer to update Jim's birf repack thread, or whatever help you need...

my proposed thread issues for 80 series:

birfield repack
    100 series brake upgrade / rotors
    rear axle repack
    EGR / throttle body
    tires
    rims
    used parts
    new parts
    leaking sunroof
    antenna
    bullbars
    lifts
    rear bumpers
    sliders
    other armour
    rust
    91-92 /93-94 / 95 / 96-97 specs and differences
    ff/rr lockers (use diffs for dummies link?)
    CDL and switch upgrade
    door speakers that fit and other audio issues
    fog lights / headlights and other lights
    interior upgrades (dome lights, CB installs, gps,
    PHH
    all about fluids and flushes
    cooling system
    head gasket
    engine seals
    replacing belts
    whining / whistling noises
    rattling noises

17. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    semlin, I believe I can create a forum that only allows Junkster to start threads...but where anyone can reply. (I think...lol) Nevermind... :D

another option might be the "FAQ-of-the-week"....discuss one a week in depth, then summarize for a tech page.

18. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    Woody, in that case how about the honour system vigorously enforced by the junkster?

FAQ of the week would take months. I would just turn people loose on everything at once and see how keen we all are.

19. woody

Media:
    Albums:
    true, one a week would take forever....but my concern with doing them all at once is people tire of posting/compiling information quickly..as noted above, there are literally dozens to tackle. If it were me, I'd tackle a few at a time...perhaps 5 topic stickies a week or something...otherwise, people get overwhelmed with answering and posting.

But regardless, Junk's in charge <shudder>...all depends on how he wants to tackle it. LOTS of good opinions on it tho, and hopefully the participation in the final topics is just as active!

also, adding a temporary FAQ section with a handful of interested MOD's would be easy too...doesn't have to be just one. Junk takes charge of a few topics, and others do for topics they know well.

LOTS of options....

20. Junk

Junk

[quote author=woody link=board=2;threadid=11578;start=msg105809#msg105809 date=1076968654]
    But regardless, Junk's in charge <shudder>...[/quote]
    :flipoff2:

Heehee. Here's my idea on it. I'm already starting to contact a few of you through PM, and will contact more of you as well to help. My main effort is just to get this rolling now, then hop on the last train for Clarkesville and I'll meet you at the station. Oh, nevermind. :p

Semlin and B. If you two could add your thoughts to Jim Phillips write up on the front end, that would be cool and appreciated.

Landtoy80: would you kindly take the lead in adding any additional thoughts on the EGR? I know some of this is still up in the air, but if you'd add anything else you can think of, it would be keenly appreciated.

Sick: you've been through several suspensions. Would you add anything you can think of to the current thread? I'll post my thoughts on that as well. Again, it's all subjective, but at least folks will have one main place to start their search.

Cary: any more updates on oil to add? I almost hate to ask because I can never read all the posts your's generate. I enjoy them, but just can't get that far into oil, then again, maybe that's why I keep needing new blocks.

Anyone want to volunteer for power? Meaning gearing, blowers and turbos? If not, I'll ask Christo and Robbie if they would mind.

I'll keep working on the rest too, but these will at least get us started. To me, getting started is the key since it may be easier to keep going once the ball, or in this case, Wench's 80 is rolling down hill. :eek: :D

In the mean time, please if anyone wants to take the lead in something, do a search, add the threads as a link and send me a PM with the links.

I greatly appreciate everyone's help. :cheers: :banana:

Oh, and most importantly, I'll see if Shed Guy will grace us with a faq on #6. :D