Extended handbrake dog bone/strut available from US seller? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've only been able to find this from Australian sellers. I can't see spending $60-100 for shipping a part that would fit in an envelope. I've contacted several sellers, and they all quote the same price for shipping, so they must be getting them drop shipped from the manufacturer. Anyone know of any sources in the US for these? I'd make my own, but I don't weld.

Same part number on Cruiser Brothers listed on this website in Australia; at least you can see it and see the cross reference model years.

Picture & product description of the terrain tamer modified strut on Aussie retailers website

Somebody tell me what these do?

Said to improve e-brake shoe contact against the drum- resulting in a reduced handbrake pull.

I installed these when I redid my rear brakes. What @abuck99 said above is what I understand them to do. For a few weeks the parking brake was awesome, held the truck while on drive up to 1500-1600rpm. Now about 1k miles in they suck again. I am going to readjust them soon. Do you think the problem came back because I didn't arc the new shoes (Power Stop from Rock Auto, Centric rotors, Toyota OEM Pads, Raybestos parking brake kit, OEM bellcrank/springs and the new upgraded dogbone) and they just need to be adjusted again?

Same part number on Cruiser Brothers listed on this website in Australia; at least you can see it and see the cross reference model years.

Picture & product description of the terrain tamer modified strut on Aussie retailers website
Perfect! Your expert "Google-fu" was better than mine this time. Thanks!

I installed these when I redid my rear brakes. What @abuck99 said above is what I understand them to do. For a few weeks the parking brake was awesome, held the truck while on drive up to 1500-1600rpm. Now about 1k miles in they suck again. I am going to readjust them soon. Do you think the problem came back because I didn't arc the new shoes (Power Stop from Rock Auto, Centric rotors, Toyota OEM Pads, Raybestos parking brake kit, OEM bellcrank/springs and the new upgraded dogbone) and they just need to be adjusted again?
I have a set of the Power Stop handbrake shoes. Can't get them to bed in or grab worth a crap. I think they might be a little undersized, the original Toyota shoes were worn all to hell, but they still held the truck. The Power Stop won't do anything, even after re-setting adjustment. I have a set of genuine Toyota shoes waiting to go on in their place, going to order the extended dogbone and do it all in one shot.

I have a set of the Power Stop handbrake shoes. Can't get them to bed in or grab worth a crap. I think they might be a little undersized, the original Toyota shoes were worn all to hell, but they still held the truck. The Power Stop won't do anything, even after re-setting adjustment. I have a set of genuine Toyota shoes waiting to go on in their place, going to order the extended dogbone and do it all in one shot.
Good to know, i'll try adjusting them 1 more time and if they stop holding again, i'll buy the OEM shoes. Did your Power Stop shoes work okay for a while or were they not holding from the start?

I have oem shoes and hardware replaced 20k miles ago. The shoes need adjusting annually or more often depending on how much you use the e-brake- maybe best time is during tire rotations. I find they grab really well rolling backwards, but not great rolling forward. I may get this part and give it a try.

Last edited:
Good to know, i'll try adjusting them 1 more time and if they stop holding again, i'll buy the OEM shoes. Did your Power Stop shoes work okay for a while or were they not holding from the start?
Not at all, even with everything adjusted so the bellcranks grabbed right away.

The compound on those shoes might just be bad compared to Toyota ones. The inside of the disc could be glazed as well. The extended bellcrank is a neat idea but a band-aid for poor friction surface in my opinion.

That sounds like a good reason. I use my parking brake all the time. It's only a weekend car but about 1k miles seems kinda early. I think I read here the 100 parking brake always needs to be adjusted, I guess I wonder what the concensous is for how often is normal? Does OEM shoes work good for 5k miles or 1 oil change before needing adjustment? Or is it 3k or 1k miles? I was assuming me not arcing the Power Stops were the problem and now that i've prob broken them in some they just need adjustment. If people here are adjusting them a few times a year, it might be normal and i'll just do that too. Anyone else with OEM shoes have any input on how often they have to adjust their parking brake to be able to stall the in D to 1500-1600 RPM?

The compound on those shoes might just be bad compared to Toyota ones. The inside of the disc could be glazed as well. The extended bellcrank is a neat idea but a band-aid for poor friction surface in my opinion.
They were installed with new disks, bedded in as per the FSM (attempted, anyway), and all new hardware. Didn't cut it. Ordered the extended strut bridge, and will be installing OEM shoes. If that doesn't do it, it wasn't meant to be. :)

They were installed with new disks, bedded in as per the FSM (attempted, anyway), and all new hardware. Didn't cut it. Ordered the extended strut bridge, and will be installing OEM shoes. If that doesn't do it, it wasn't meant to be. :)
I just got off the phone with them- he said “weird, someone else just ordered a set too” I told him there was a discussion currently on mud-😎

Hmm. Have you examined the cable and mounting points? I wonder if you're stretching something somewhere. Have someone pull the handle while you watch from underneath.

Hmm. Have you examined the cable and mounting points? I wonder if you're stretching something somewhere. Have someone pull the handle while you watch from underneath.
I'd agree, but the handbrake worked with the old shoes. New ones should make it tighter, not worse. I triple checked the hardware, everything is as it should be.

Maybe pull the disc and place a shoe inside the drum to check how closely it matches the contour of the drum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom