ExCape Pod Build (pic heavy) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been working on this for awhile now, about 10 days a month since the end of June and wanted to wait to post anything up since no one likes to wait on pics. Well closing in on the end now, getting it safety inspected next week then finishing up the interior so I figure now is as good a time as any.

So back in April I bought this for $100:
full

And after a few deals with a fabricator friend of mine she looked like this but ended up sitting until the end of June:
full

Then I had to brainstorm:
full

And then the build began...

Last edited:
Required pictures for the DMV so I can get a VIN:
full

full

And that's where she sits today. 95% solution and just about legal. Will be roadworthy within the next 2 weeks and camp ready before Christmas. Steel frame coated with POR-15; treated lumber wood frame, covered in Thompsons, then roof flashing, then plastidip; marine grade plywood; 4 coats of marine fiberglass; 2 coats of marine self levelling primer; 3 coats of tan paint; 2 coats of rubberized heat reflective white roof paint. Every seams fiberglassed on the outside and caulked with silicone on the inside. All lights are LED. 3500lb axle with a 6 lug pattern to match my truck.

Last edited:
That is amazing!. So clean

For the interior, there is already a cabinet that goes all the way across from one side to the other on the back wall. I will also be putting some storage boxes on top of the fenders. I can fit a full sized mattress between the fender with a slight gap but I also believe I can stuff a queen sized mattress in there. There will be a gap between the mattress and the doors which will be filled with smaller storage boxes that will serve like small night stands and be even with the bottom edge of the doors and top of the mattress. These are actually necessary since the edge of the door is quite painful on the bottom of your legs as you try to get in and out currently. Not pictured at all is my grill. My grill was made out of a 100lb propane tank and can be carried on the front of the truck via receiver hitch. There are receiver hitches at all 4 corners on the trailer. So I can carry the grill up front, get to where I am going and move it to one of the hitches at the back near the kitchen area. Ill get that posted later, takes 2 people to move easily.

Last edited:
I think you did a great job...although I'm a bit concerned about the weight of the fuel and water that far back over the rear axle. I think that could equate into some serious sway issue, maybe when you least expect it.

Make sure you seal the crap out of any seam or perforation of the exterior skin...water at 60 mph can get in anywhere.

Looking forward to more progress shots!

that thing looks soo cool! i love the angled edges . very nice work too.

i have the same concern about the weight in the back, wouldnt take much to counter it tho; i . e . a battery and or some fuel cans on the tongue.

cant wait to see the interior .

Already noted the cans were just there to see how much I could stuff in there. The fuel cans ride on the rack on the back of my truck anyway and the water cans can ride inside of it. Lawn chairs and canopies fit very nice in that spot on the trailer and weigh next to nothing. Not a single hole that pierces the outer skin that hasn't been pumped full of silicone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom