Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This weekend I took care of the rear end. Installed the 5" OME Comp coils and the 2.5" Radflos. Suspension feels MUCH better now. Old shocks were total crap. And the Comp coils are not stiff at all. Just a firm, non-floaty feel which is what I was after. Also painted the wheels and gave her a bath.

Comparison of the old, shot Bilsteins

ABrFY2yh.jpg

And the coils

E3GyhJFh.jpg

Fresh and clean. I think it's been a year and a half since I washed this thing

17317817890_74af45eff8_h.jpg

Need to finish the rear inner fenders next

17479491586_9318077b96_h.jpg

Why should FJ55s have all the fun?

17505855495_344e6b851a_h.jpg

Nice visual of how flat the new front links are vs the back

17503692892_04ec7c43ea_h.jpg

16884936933_3e348337fb_h.jpg

17503686842_c625fc71a4_h.jpg

16883307384_7e0509f009_h.jpg

17503680382_6dac912c0e_h.jpg

17505678331_3349602678_h.jpg

17505605331_49baa2dd3f_h.jpg

Looks like art work from the front! Great work. Bet you can't wait to test it out on the trail. Can't wait to see the pics!

REAR BUMPER PROGRESS

Did get a chance to do some welding this weekend. This thing goes together much easier than the front. There's really nothing to it! I ended up getting a single swingout instead of dual. Even though it needs more room to open, seems like it will be less of a hassle when trying to get in the tailgate. I only picked up the ladder and 2-can basket from Luke. I'm going to build my own tire carrier, will post pics of that as it comes along.

The point of no return, cutting several inches off the frame rail

Vm9zL1Oh.jpg

Mock-up. Everything went together nicely

MaY9jICh.jpg

Here's a good visual of the clearance gained with a 4x4Labs bumper. My Sean Huston bumper was 26" from the ground at the rear-most corner. It stuck out a lot was squared off in the corners sacrificing lots of ground clearance. To be fair, I did gain about 1" in height after removing all the weight so let's say the Huston bumper was 27" off the ground not counting the weight sag. Still a big difference in approach angle.

nPNsk8hh.jpg

Reminder of how it was before

15241177626_900256c5ec_h.jpg
Did you use your Hobart 140 to build this rear bumper? I'm sure you used #5 voltage but WFS was on what setting? Did you do the entire bumper w/the 140 w/single passes or do something different for the hitch & recovery points? Thanks.

Did you use your Hobart 140 to build this rear bumper? I'm sure you used #5 voltage but WFS was on what setting? Did you do the entire bumper w/the 140 w/single passes or do something different for the hitch & recovery points? Thanks.

Yeah so far I've done all welding on this truck with the 140. I almost always weld on #5 unless I'm welding really thin stuff. When I did the bumper I think I was at a wire speed of 45+ which I now realize was too high. Every time I weld I feel like I get a little bit better. With the 3 link project everything was at #5 and a WFS of about 32~35 which gives much better results I think. I just need to work on being consistent. If I'm at a weird angle where I can't be comfortable like contorted underneath the truck, forget about it. Bird turd beads all day long. But when I'm in a comfortable spot they come out pretty decent:

k2toCaD.jpg

qZcRc79.jpg

Time to update your avatar :p To that god damn sexy ass California Bear mug you use on Instagram :flipoff2:

That is way too much awesomeness for one thread. MUD servers can only take so much :flipoff2:

I noticed a lot of your welds looked tits!!! I'm not too good at weird angles either, yet. Rig is super sick. Thanks for your input.

This truck is amazing, top work.

So, some questions:
1) What is your total lift (VS Stock)
2) How does it drive on-road?
3) Let us know how it drives off-road (LOTS OF POSER PICS!)

Looking great Jose! You've taken this thing a LOOOOONNNNGGGG way!

So when do you plan on re-running Rubicon with the new digs?

I just got back from running the hammers again. I hate my shocks now

I can't remember your setup. You just changed the links and left coils/springs alone right? You're almost there, just cut off the towers and add some coilovers!

This truck is amazing, top work.
Looking amazing! Had to read from page 1 to page 80!

Thanks guys!

So, some questions:
1) What is your total lift (VS Stock)
2) How does it drive on-road?
3) Let us know how it drives off-road (LOTS OF POSER PICS!)

Looking great Jose! You've taken this thing a LOOOOONNNNGGGG way!

1) Total lift, no idea. Rear has 5" OME Comp coils so I'd say the front is close to that as it sits fairly level. I can tell you my frame height measured right under the front body mount is about 28" to the ground.

2) I haven't driven it at high speeds yet as I'm still tuning caster, dual rates, front ride height, toe. Once I get that dialed in I can give an honest answer. So far it's just been cruising around town and posing.

3) No idea yet. Still don't have a front driveshaft yet. I just got it extended, but I want to wait until I do the part time conversion before I put the shaft back in.

So when do you plan on re-running Rubicon with the new digs?

Sometime this summer for sure! Once the part time spool is in it'll be time to go wheeling.

Last edited:
You're going with a DC front shaft right? Can't wait to see how it does Rubicon this time around and if you'll be able to follow the mini's.

I did do some more bro-crawlin last week after messing with the dual rate sliders. It's easy to see why guys with linked 80s say how bad the rear suspension becomes after you link it. With the stock radius arms, the front is so stiff that it forces the rear to do all the flexing which gives you the false impression that the rear suspension is awesome. NOT the case.

In this pic you can see that the front flexes so well now which means the rear isn't even doing anything because it's not being "forced to" by the stiff radius arms. I still had plenty of down travel left in the Radflos but until the front was maxed, the rear isn't gonna flex.

qWytX4Nh.jpg

Pay attention to my rear tire in relation to the fender opening

kbYyPvjh.jpg

I'll use Ammo's rig as an example because the it looks like we were about the same height. Notice how his rear tire is almost fully stuffed

TvoRK9H.jpg

And one more because it's COOL

aGrUBabh.jpg

You're going with a DC front shaft right? Can't wait to see how it does Rubicon this time around and if you'll be able to follow the mini's.

No just the stock shaft extended a few inches with thicker wall tubing. Because I'm going part time, the entire front end will be disconnected during normal driving so need for a DC shaft...I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom