Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've never driven though the Rubicon so I have no idea what to expect on obstacles and timing. You're going to need to spot me on pretty much every rock :flipoff2:
Did I say rubicon? I meant deer valley : flipoff2:

I like uphill, hate downhill!

Two days on rubicon. Fri and sat?

It's kind of a PITA with our lack of gearing, so I imagine we travel quick thru legal bypasses of true sluice and stuff.

Friday night at Ellis creek, sat at buck island or springs. If springs, travel out via Cadillac thru Tahoe. If not, double back to ice house/wentworth

I've never wheeled in such an incapable vehicle so this should be interesting. I've only done niagara rim and slick rock in an 80. They should be fine , just miss out on the gunner lines and stuff like soup can probably<--I'll spot you! :D

For what it's worth, learning to two-foot it was a huge help for running sledge and upper big johnson. The more annoying part of the 80 is the sheer weight. When it's planted and has traction, it's fine. But it is SO FAT that it does like to slide off of obstacles and/or shove them out of the way (like Jose did with that rock on what would have been a tame trail). Clawhammer felt like I was just plowing stuff out of the way rather than going over it.

I almost always run too much pressure, though. Even on my 36x13.5s I tend to run like 17-19psi. Paranoid, I guess.

Beautiful photos. You did a great job of capturing the feeling one would have - the vastness and beauty and tranquility and all that. Makes me wish I were there!

Beautiful photos. You did a great job of capturing the feeling one would have - the vastness and beauty and tranquility and all that. Makes me wish I were there!

Thanks! It really is a beautiful area. I like that it's not a parking lot with bumper-to-bumper traffic like the Rubicon. Although I've never been there, I hear it's almost always crowded. Lakes Basin area is usually too far of a drive for most so they end up staying closer to the other trails.

Quick video my buddy put together. He used some smart phone app that made it a bit choppy. Oh well, one of these days I'll get a GoPro

Quick video my buddy put together. He used some smart phone app that made it a bit choppy. Oh well, one of these days I'll get a GoPro

Quick 1 hour and 57 minute of a quincinera?!?!?

Think you might have the wrong link to the video...

How you guys viewing it? It plays the correct video for me via PC and the Android mobile app...weird

PC

MaCDYrJ.png

Android app

Cel219Gh.png

Somebody post the link of what you're seeing! Now I'm curious...

Somebody post the link of what you're seeing! Now I'm curious...
I was kidding. I don't know what they were seeing, but I saw the intended video.

Looked like a blast. Nothing like being out there by yourself.

iPhone, figures! Can those phones do anything right? :)

Great photos Jose! I always enjoy seeing your take on adventure. You have some awesome terrain at your fingertips and that beast of a Cruiser makes it look even better. I got the taste of Cali trails this spring, I'm destined for a return trip and these pics just make me want to expedite!

Great photos Jose! I always enjoy seeing your take on adventure. You have some awesome terrain at your fingertips and that beast of a Cruiser makes it look even better. I got the taste of Cali trails this spring, I'm destined for a return trip and these pics just make me want to expedite!

I do not think a Tundra will fit in some of those places......

...via IH8MUD app

...via IH8MUD app

...via IH8MUD app

Shhh... dont let the cat out of the bag! haha No I've convinced myself not to go down that path. The LX will be staying in my garage. Although I still think the Tundra could do it, it's barely wider than the LX. I measured them the other day and there was only 1.5" difference....

Don't want to thread jack. Jose, I know you've got some good updates on the truck after the weekend, lets see em!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom