Ethics Question (1 Viewer)

Should I leave as is and remain a purest or strip it and make it easier to work on?

• Leave It

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Strip it

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 77 that I got a few months ago from CA. It's a CA Cruiser with all the CA emission controls on and I'm seriously considering removing and plugging the engine and carb to try and increase HP and fuel mileage. Obviously here in SC we don't suffer under all the draconian rules as our brothers on the left coast, but I do want to remain true to the truck.
Signed, Torn

Im sad that you feel breathable air is draconian. What you gain Hp is probably equal to the speed you will gain from the weight of the removed parts. as in, doubt its worth it unless they are faulty. Maybe im wrong.

It's nice to hear from the Politboro. SC air is clean and clear and I want my FJ to be free to breath in all it wants. #FJLivesmatter.

I can't count the number of times I've been pulled and the cops asked to see my emission control system...because it never happens!

Scrapdaddy, I was really curious about the thoughts of my fellow 55ers. I don't know where the other's comments are coming from. Not looking to be convinced just trying to have a little fun conversation.

In that case, I yanked all the crap off my 76 FJ40 after it was a year old and finally yanked the whole motor, went with a 327 Chevy. I'm not a big debater on pollution or on keeping a vehicle stock and suffering for it, I'll leave that up to other folks. I really didn't see a big improvement as Megadoomer has stated either until I got the Chevy in there. I don't litter and eat my veggies, volunteer when I can and try not to pick fights anymore. :) Doing the best I can!

Not looking to be convinced just trying to have a little fun conversation.

California is a great state to be from, true they are a bit over zealous with some of their recent smog requirements for modern vehicles. We could debate the extreme measures the car manufactures take to comply with the knee jerk CA smog requirements that most of the rest of the states have adopted verses a well-rounded common sense approach but none of this will apply to your 1977 Toyota FJ55.

I’m not convinced that removing your “smog” equipment will net any more of an improvement in the performance areas you talking about than just a good old fashion tune up. Now if your “smog” equipment is not functioning as intended and replacements can’t be found then yes I would agree removing the smog equipment to correct a specific issue that couldn’t otherwise be fixed would be worth the effort.

If you want to increase HP and fuel mileage yank the F engine out and put a modern SBC engine in its place “Factory Smog Equipment Optional” and don’t look back.

FYI: I voted *Strip it to trigger apoplexy among the environmentalists.

I'm lucky, my truck didn't come with all the emissions junk the US models had. So no problem there

But as the owner of a truck that might be worth a lot more stock than modded, I only do mods that can be undone, and I save the original parts.

If you think that it will run better without the CA emissions stuff, go for it. Just save the parts.

Sorry I sounded like a D. I was at work but now I'm not so I'll say this... the smog req. in CA is a pain with project vehicles. It costs a lot to smog and maintain the equipment but just few decades ago socal had what we called smog days. Days so congested that you were advised not to leave the house. Now I can't remember the last time that was an issue. So it's a good thing. That being said, I sought out a pre 75 so I don't give a.......anyway I'd keep it until it causes an issue.

I'm lucky, my truck didn't come with all the emissions junk the US models had. So no problem there

But as the owner of a truck that might be worth a lot more stock than modded, I only do mods that can be undone, and I save the original parts.

If you think that it will run better without the CA emissions stuff, go for it. Just save the parts.
That's my one biggest hold back. I like the idea that it is, for the most like it was built and I'm sentimental enough to not want to change it.

We had a nice discussion at dinner tonight with our 14 year old about why CA has issues with smog and why y'all's regs are so much more stringent. Was a good geography / meteorology lesson for her.

Pull that old thing out and go cumins r2.8 and be done with it. Then tell me how you like it. So I can finally make up my mind on what to do for a pig heart!

I have one of each; desmog and complete emissions. Arnold has a refreshed 2F while Chester has a 4 year old rebuilt 2F w/ 1500 miles on it. Chester is the desmog, Arnold has all its smog crap in place and working. Both are 78's w/ Cali emissions (thermal reactor and all). Chester drive better but has a new engine. Arnold drives well w/ 90k miles on the odometer. Neither is a speed demon. Both get about the same mileage - 10 in town and 13-14 on the highway. Arnold does do better but has a Fairey O/D that adds 27% to the final ratio. I don't know who did the desmog on Chester but I had to redo it w some help from Jim C. Who also desmoged the carb.

If all the smog equipment works my suggestion is to swap the vacuum lines, one at a time, and drive. Some emission parts are hard or almost impossible to find i.e. the air pump, VSV, BVSV's but can be obtained if you know where to look or through the 55 community.

If you have to have better mileage swap the Chevy, or find an O/D. Again, in my opinion you will be devaluing the 55. The 2F is a good engine you just have to live within its limitations and smog compliant or desmog it's going to perform about the same.

We had a nice discussion at dinner tonight with our 14 year old about why CA has issues with smog and why y'all's regs are so much more stringent. Was a good geography / meteorology lesson for her.

Plus we have 38 million people to your 5. And it seams that all 38 mil somehow drive 2 cars at the same time. And our public transit is crap.

Hahahaaja haha lol I love my 73...

Ironic, I bought my 77 Pig from someone in South Carolina and shipped it to CA. It originated in Tuscon hence micro amounts of rust. Lucky for me all smog components required by a Californicating pig were original to the the car and fully functional.

I have had either FJ55's or FJ40's for going on 45 years. My 72 55 and my 69 40 were labeled F155 engines and had zero smog stuff. Don't know what 6cylinder my 73 40 had, but it definately had smog parts on it.

In my early years I tried to do THINGS to the engine, Rochester 2 barrel, headers, electronic ignition, all with no noticeable change. Since I have never drag raced an "F" against a"2F" engine I have know idea who won.

I recently drove my 77 to the Iron Pig Fest (Pig Party 17) and blew the head gasket part way there. It still pulled my fully loaded swine up a major grade in 110 degree heat on 4 cylinders and got 12 miles to the gallon. On the way back ( after the gasket repair) coming into the Needles area it was 125 degrees and pulled me up the 3 grades over a 3 hour period and got 12 miles to the gallon.

My comment on gas milage has always been "going up a hill pulling a train full of elephants I get 10 miles to the gallon, going down hill being pushed by a train full of elephants I get 10 miles to the gallon.

As many above have mentioned, If you remove the smog system from the pig the amount of improvement of any sort will be neglegable at best. If you were to resell no one in California will be able to by it.

If you want to go faster get something with a Hemi and a Blower, wear horned rim glasses, a button up shirt with a plastic pencil protector in the pocket and chew gum.

Or you can sit back, relax, enjoy the senery in one of the most comfortable seats Toyota ever built and get there no matter what the conditions are inside or out.

Keep it simple, just go land cruising.

I did have a red tape smog incident this year tho. I bought an intake tube for my Hemi Commander. No box or cone. Just a tube that goes from oem box to oem TB. Amazon showed that it fit my truck and it said 50 state legal for $150 and came with the CARB sticker. A few months later my reg renewal comes and its my year to smog. No problem i roll to my regular place and i fail visual. WTF?

Dudebro tells me that the sticker doesn't include my car on the list and i should put the oem intake on. I have it so i put it on. I also got back on amazon and looked at the purchase. There was a tiny little link that basically said it would fit my vehicle but wasnt legal, yet a Hemi Cherokee of the same year was. I passed the sniffer and the 2 trucks are basically the same thing just one is uglier than the other and mine isnt complaint. I look up the intake that is legal and its is literally the same tube but the CARB sticker is a different number and its over $300.

"dudebro"

I did have a red tape smog incident this year tho. I bought an intake tube for my Hemi Commander. No box or cone. Just a tube that goes from oem box to oem TB. Amazon showed that it fit my truck and it said 50 state legal for $150 and came with the CARB sticker. A few months later my reg renewal comes and its my year to smog. No problem i roll to my regular place and i fail visual. WTF?

Dudebro tells me that the sticker doesn't include my car on the list and i should put the oem intake on. I have it so i put it on. I also got back on amazon and looked at the purchase. There was a tiny little link that basically said it would fit my vehicle but wasnt legal, yet a Hemi Cherokee of the same year was. I passed the sniffer and the 2 trucks are basically the same thing just one is uglier than the other and mine isnt complaint. I look up the intake that is legal and its is literally the same tube but the CARB sticker is a different number and its over $300.

But thousands of children died because of your vicious modding. I know its true because California environmental activist bureaucrats said so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom