Entertaining engine swap - 1grfe with RA61F (6speed) into a fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. I'm new and have always like the fj80. Now I've been searching for a long time on and off. I'm in my 30s, have some experience with swaps and electrical. Here is my sport car that I have dreamed of so long long long and I did it myself after no one was willing to do it. It was a 2grfe (3.5L) with an e153 in a mr2 spyder running a Vipec V88 with DBW.

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1703-1.jpg

My truck which I sold to my brother. Swapping in a 5vz whenever he pays for everything.
YotaTruck.jpg

My old Van I sold. I was the 2nd owner, drove from WI to AR doing 70+mph. I did some exterior work, repainted it, and put in a system.
IMG_8622.jpg

I do have my own CNC and welders, TIG and MIG. I thought the Van would had satisfied me but it was hard to find a 5speed 4wd in good condition. The truck was a blast on that stock 22r but I had two kid after I bought the truck. I don't off road but I like a cross country cruiser to have style.

What would I like that would be feasible to meet my needs? I think a 1grfe with a 6speed manual. Put a new transfer case on and new front solid since on the FJ Cruiser it seems to be a left drop. It would cost a lot but I could do the work myself. This is just a thought and I am stuck between this and a 1st gen 4runner. I would like this better but it would cost more. I’m probably going to get flamed for starting this as this would end up being a big dreamer thread like any other forums. I don’t want a new truck or tundra as I hate car payments.

So what is the question?

A 1GR-FE is in many non-US Land Cruiser 7x iterations with an R151F/split case combo behind it.

It is also available in GRJ200 versions as well mated to an auto box and a chain driven xfer case.

The engine would work well in an 80 series platform.

The problem is going to be with the engine ECU and mating it to the ancient 80 series electronics.
90% of a swap like this would be caught up with dealing with electronics in solid state and communication issues. The 1GR-FE relies A LOT on the electronics to make it run.

Nonetheless, good luck if you go this route. It would indeed be ground breaking.

:cheers:

LSx....Nuff said

Some food for thought. If you use a left drop case you will need to swap both axles. Cruisers are offset to the right both front and rear. I think the A750F bolts to the 1gr and the hf2a. Also, I'm a big guy so I'm not sure I would be comfortable in an 80 with a clutch, I know others have done it, just something to think about.

I would think a V8 or diesel would be an appropriate conversion if you want to remove the factory work horse straight 6. People buy Land Cruisers with 200k all the time with the thought of taking them to places a tow would cost 1K. It's the same thing in the Jeep world with the AMC 4.0 straight 6.
If you have the means and skill I say go for it if you makes it smile.

So the specs on this motor are around 250hp and 270 lb ft of torque. What would be the advantage to running something like this, as opposed to getting yourself an lsx engine and doing a much easier swap ?

It's cooler than a gm motor in a toyota? Easy isn't necessarily satisfying or 'best' or even 'right'.

Some don't like cookie cutters written by the generic recipe. If that were the case we'd all have J springs, snorkel, an ARB bumper on 33" ATs. What fun is that?

I am all for "cool" when it comes to swaps, but even in the Toyota line up there is a better candidate in my opinion. Unless you really must have a manual transmission. If you need a manual there is supposed to be a unicorn bellhousing that will mate a H151F to a 1FZ-FE and I assume since the 2UZ and 1UZ have the same automatic behind them it would also work on them.

A 2UZ, a little less cool in my opinion, but a 3UZ all alluminum could be very cool, but like Beno said you will more than likely end up running a standalone.

Uz motors have the starter flipped and under the intake. Bell housing pattern is very unlike the fz. I wish this weren't the case as the tundras tranny is adaptable to a dual case setup w merely an aftermarket plate/ coupler:(

Any ideas?

Yep I know well about the starter it stranded me when my 2UZ with TRD SC went out in Moab. Good place to breakdown though. lol

img_0682-jpg.425821

The 2UZ will bolt directly to the A343F, I would have assumed it would be the same as for the bell housing.

Last edited:
It has a different input(uz vs fz a343) in a couple pics I found on google. I want /wish what your saying is possible so I could use the ass end of the tundra version to 23 spline crawl box.

I know you're 55. We were both featured in the same magazine:beer:

Uz motors have the starter flipped and under the intake. Bell housing pattern is very unlike the fz.

Minor details. The A750F behind most 2UZ's can be adapted to an HF2A.

Had to be the same input I used an A343F out of an 80 series. I least I think I did. It has been 10 years..... Lol

Remember!! Lol. If you used an 80 343 behind a uz, than I can do vice versa and get my dual cases w split case?

It's cooler than a gm motor in a toyota? Easy isn't necessarily satisfying or 'best' or even 'right'.

Some don't like cookie cutters written by the generic recipe. If that were the case we'd all have J springs, snorkel, an ARB bumper on 33" ATs. What fun is that?

My question is more like, why would you put a less powerful, more difficult swap into the vehicle. Does this 1GR get insane gas mileage or do something better then the lsx that will be easier to swap.

I'm sure it would work, and it would probably be adequate and get better mileage than stock. If i'm going to the work of doing a swap it will be a diesel or V8, but if the V6 and manual will make you happy then go for it. Just don't expect any resale value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom