Engine Replacement for 2004 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On a recent trip back to Missouri from Michigan the engine suffered a catastrophic failure at 341,000 miles. I have to decide whether to have a remanufactured engine installed there, or trailer the LC back to Missouri and find someone to rebuild it here. Any advice as to reputable engine rebuilders that could provide a solid engine?

Care to share what it was that failed? There's been a few (very few) threads on replacement motors if you search. Some have had the best lucky sourcing a Tundra/Sequoia motor and swapping over the necessary bits for fit.

Search threads, "engine replacement", titles only, 100 section only.

You can rebuild but there are so many good, used engines available for cheap.

Having just done an engine swap earlier this year I can provide some current recommendations. From my review the remanufactured engines typically want to have your engine sent as a core they will rebuild. I would not recommend going that route. As @Trunk Monkey mentioned, going with a used engine is likely the best bet and there are a lot of good posts on this. From my review @2001LC had some of the most detailed posts and discussions so I typically spent time reading those. Finding a 100 series (Land Cruiser or LX470) engine is going to be the easiest and some would say the best options since they were built in Japan as opposed to the Tundra/Sequoia engines that were built in the US. They also will require less parts to be swapped to fit into the Land Cruiser engine bay (Tundra/Sequoia will require oil pan and some other stuff changed).

In my case I was ~350 miles from home and decided to trailer it home on a U-Haul rather than try to rush and find an engine. I would recommend going that route so you can find the best engine possible and make sure it is done right.

Another tip on the tow if you go this route, U-Haul will say a 2002+ Land Cruiser will not work, but has no issue with the 1998-2001 years.

Thanks, All. Not sure yet about the extent of damage. The engine still runs, but with a horrible clatter and requires 2000 rpm to keep going according to the mechanic in a quick phone call. Cause was apparently a hole in the radiator. Frustrating, because not more than 10 minutes earlier I had looked at the temp gauge. I know…the pilot in me says I should have been scanning more effectively.

I appreciate the advice regarding used LC engines, and will focus there. I have a heavy vehicle trailer, and will fetch the truck with that.

Further advice always welcome from this amazing group.

BTW, I have put in the Land Shark drawer/platform and the Gamiviti roof rack. Highly recommend both!

Did you actually see the coolant loss/temp gauge spike? Reason I ask is that more than once here a shop has diagnosed engine failure and it's turned out to be something much simpler.
No. The gauge was normal when I last looked. But he did say the radiator was completely empty from a large hole. If I follow the current plan to go get it, we will certainly do a thorough inspection.

Did you actually see the coolant loss/temp gauge spike? Reason I ask is that more than once here a shop has diagnosed engine failure and it's turned out to be something much simpler.
I agree. Sounds fishy to me. Certainly wouldn’t be the first time on MUD that a mechanic misdiagnosed an engine as being toast when in fact it was not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom