"Engine Overhaul" vs "Valve grind" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just out of curiousity, why is a diesel engine seal kit called a"GASKET KIT, ENGINE VALVE GRIND" for the 3b engine when the same functionality kit equivalent for the 2F is called "GASKET KIT, ENGINE OVERHAUL" ? I've never owned a diesel nor have I worked on one and was just wondering this out of sheer curiousity.

I am going to be taking the stock 2f out of my cruiser for some overall vehicle rehab and wanted to put in an new head, valve cover and drive output shaft gasket on. The "Overhaul" kit seems to have all those parts, while the "Grind" kit seems to have only the head and valve cover stuff. Is the only difference in that one is for the diesel and the other for the gas engine ?

Top diagram = "Engine overhaul" = 0411161044
Bottom diagram = "Valve Grind" = 0411258011
TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 60FJ60LG-KA - TOOL-ENGINE-FUEL - ENGINE OVERHAUL GASKET KIT | Japan Parts EU

I recommend ordering all parts separately. No kits.

Typically a 'valve grind' kit includes all head-related gaskets. An 'overhaul' kit is for a whole-engine rebuild. Obviously, you need a 2F kit for a 2F. Also, Toyota has discontinued some 'sets' so you may have to order gaskets separately anyway. Sometimes, those online parts catalogs are a mess, as far as what they show vs. what is actually available.

Typically a 'valve grind' kit includes all head-related gaskets. An 'overhaul' kit is for a whole-engine rebuild. Obviously, you need a 2F kit for a 2F. Also, Toyota has discontinued some 'sets' so you may have to order gaskets separately anyway. Sometimes, those online parts catalogs are a mess, as far as what they show vs. what is actually available.
Thanks for the info. Is it safe to say that an "engine overhaul" kit will include everything a "valve grind" kit has AND more ?

I am able to find this kit, along with some other OEM parts I can't find in the US, in some of the overseas sources. Some of the brake lines that are NLA here I am able to still get overseas.

I recommend ordering all parts separately. No kits.
Have you found that the OEM stand-alone head gasket was different than that which came with one of these kits ? I think I read that in another thread somewhere but wasn't sure.

I picked up from my dealer.... “Engine Kit, Engin Hist” 04112-61041. The parts guy gave it to me for $210 instead of $273.64
It included the head gasket, valve seals, manifold gasket and two heat riser gaskets as well as a valve cover gasket.

I picked up from my dealer.... “Engine Kit, Engin Hist” 04112-61041. The parts guy gave it to me for $210 instead of $273.64
It included the head gasket, valve seals, manifold gasket and two heat riser gaskets as well as a valve cover gasket.
I assume you got that set for a 2f ?

Is it safe to say that an "engine overhaul" kit will include everything a "valve grind" kit has AND more ?

Yes - think of it as 'attached to the engine head' vs. 'all gaskets related to head and block'. The big kit will include a rear main seal, oil pan gasket, side cover gasket, front main seal (harm. balancer seal), etc.

Is it safe to say that an "engine overhaul" kit will include everything a "valve grind" kit has AND more ?

Yes - think of it as 'attached to the engine head' vs. 'all gaskets related to head and block'. The big kit will include a rear main seal, oil pan gasket, side cover gasket, front main seal (harm. balancer seal), etc.

Ok gotcha, that was very helpful.

Another question I have is what exactly should I expect if I attempt to replace all these engine gaskets? I plan on having the 2f out of the truck on a stand. While having done a good bit of mechanical work as a non-pro (axle, brakes, full AC pull, full coolant system overhaul, heater cores etc.), I haven't done much heavy engine work. My most intensive engine work to date was on my 1990 Honda Accord. When replacing the valve cover and spark plug gaskets on those engines, you actually had to remove the rocker arm and camshaft to get to a second set of spark plug gaskets that were below valve cover level. So I did that - removed and replace a cam and rockers and readjusted the valves - on that 4 cylinder Honda.
Am I in way over my head if I want to replace all the engine gaskets in my 2F? I don't want to resurface or change pistons. I understand I should have the head resurfaced prior to putting on a new gasket if it is out of tolerance for flatness, which I would take to a machinist.
Any comments would be appreciated.

For a 2F engine for the US market, the only two part numbers you need to know are:

04112-61041: "head gasket kit"

04111-61044: "engine overhaul gasket kit"

That's it.
Thanks for the info. One of the parts catalogues had 3 different kit numbers for the 8005+ Fj60 and it wasn't clear what was what.

Thanks for the info. One of the parts catalogues had 3 different kit numbers for the 8005+ Fj60 and it wasn't clear what was what.

Correct. But everyone's an expert parts professional these days. So, roll the dice if you want.

Toyota gasket kits are fine. I was referring to aftermarket gasket kits. Maybe some of those are ok too, but some aren't so hot.

For a 2F engine for the US market, the only two part numbers you need to know are:

04112-61041: "head gasket kit"

04111-61044: "engine overhaul gasket kit"

That's it.
Speaking of these, can you please send me a quote shipped to 77429? I'm in teardown mode, but will definitely need some bits going back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom