Engine oil cooler gasket woes - huge oil leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just saw this was "Easy", figured weather is good in Denver go ahead and start tomorrow draining coolant and hit it Wednesday.. Yep i got a new hose/clamps, 2 sets of o-rings incase i muck it up.

Does anyone know the torque values for the bolts into the block?

Also would it make sense to remove the cooler bolt on with the second half on the truck for more room to get the bolt/nuts holding it on the block?
No need to drain the coolant. You’ll lose some when pull the hoses and cooler but not everything, just what’s in the block..

E1559B91-1203-4A64-BEB6-4AE92FA9507B.jpeg

So have the block drained and the s***ty hose removed.

I did find an old figure 8 o ring sitting on top of a crossmember. So wondering if I’m going to find rtv on the end of the adapter….

DB50BD18-B9A6-446B-B65C-F2C8C0376E0E.jpeg
6139AA7B-1782-45CE-A280-C00BBFEE2106.jpeg

Looking at figure 8 O-ring, it looks crushed. Happen to me, my first install of it. O-ring slipped, leaked and was crushed like that.
I now use a thick assemble lube, to hold figure 8 ring in place during assembly.

Looking at figure 8 O-ring, it looks crushed. Happen to me, my first install of it. O-ring slipped, leaked and was crushed like that.
I now use a thick assemble lube, to hold figure 8 ring in place during assembly.
Thing is, i haven't pulled the oil cooler/bracket from the block yet. That figure 8 was just chilling on the crossmember below it.

So i essentially made the leak slightly worse. Have oil on the nut, and both bolts. Guessing I squished the seal while installing.

I also don’t know if it was leaking this way before but oil is ending up on the front bottom lip of the ac compressor.

A5A90A45-16FE-4DF2-8354-3D9CA473B599.jpeg

So i essentially made the leak slightly worse. Have oil on the nut, and both bolts. Guessing I squished the seal while installing.

I also don’t know if it was leaking this way before but oil is ending up on the front bottom lip of the ac compressor.

View attachment 2942476
I had a leak from the figure eight seal when I bought my rig, and it turned out that there was a scratch across the sealing surface from previous work, which I was able to polish out with Scotch Brite. Not sure if you have a similar issue, but might be worth a look if you take it back apart.

I had a leak from the figure eight seal when I bought my rig, and it turned out that there was a scratch across the sealing surface from previous work, which I was able to polish out with Scotch Brite. Not sure if you have a similar issue, but might be worth a look if you take it back apart.
I bet that’s probably it if it’s still leaking.

But funny thing is I drove 100 miles today for work and doesn’t seem any more is leaking.

Wonder if it was Left over from valve cover I fixed a week and a half ago.

I cleaned off really good, and going to watch.

As I look at spot your arrow points to. It doesn't look like active leak. Typically when figure 8 0-ring leaks, it will be wet looking oil there. Yours looks old and dry, like other crud in area.

As I look at spot your arrow points to. It doesn't look like active leak. Typically when figure 8 0-ring leaks, it will be wet looking oil there. Yours looks old and dry, like other crud in area.
That is actually one of your photos, just took it for example where I think some more oil is coming down.

The photo below is from the top of my ac compressor, it has some build up on the side of it.
9CF5BEDE-14F4-447A-9F10-61FCE7F3E341.jpeg

I just see shadows and what may be old grim. If it is wet, may or may not be bracket seals (there's 2). It's hard to get picture of the spot, unless # 1 skid off. Once off, very easy to see the spot from below. Best is to clean spotless. Then if a bad leak, watch as you idle engine. Mild leak, look at after each drive. Watch for first point of wetness. Not checking after each drive, it may spread, making pin pointing difficult.

I just see shadows and what may be old grim. If it is wet, may or may not be bracket seals (there's 2). It's hard to get picture of the spot, unless # 1 skid off. Once off, very easy to see the spot from below. Best is to clean spotless. Then if a bad leak, watch as you idle engine. Mild leak, look at after each drive. Watch for first point of wetness. Not checking after each drive, it may spread, making pin pointing difficult.
Are you referencing the oil filter bracket seals or another?

Yeah, I’ve cleaned it good, driven 10 miles and don’t see anything. Going to do another 60-70 tomorrow for work and take a look.

Are you referencing the oil filter bracket seals or another?

Yeah, I’ve cleaned it good, driven 10 miles and don’t see anything. Going to do another 60-70 tomorrow for work and take a look.
Yes!, 2 seals. There's a large O-ring between oil cooler and filter bracket. Then the figure 8 O-ring between filter bracket and oil pump housing. 3 seals, if you count the oil filters seal.

Last edited:
Yes!, 2 seals. There's a large O-ring between oil cooler and filter bracket. Then the figure 8 O-ring between filter bracket and oil pump housing. 3 seal if you count the oil filters seal.

👍

Oil Cooler Seal2.jpg

Oil Cooler Seal1.jpg

Oil Cooler2.jpg

Yep, already replaced both seals, just was concerned I might have pinched the figure 8.

I reached around the side of the ac compressor and found some old grime from the original leak, so I believe that was just slowly creeping down to make it look like I still had a leak. So cleaned that up and keeping an eye on it. Hour of running today and nothing new leaking I can tell.

I have an '06 Tundra - 2UZ-FE. Leak appears to be coming from 1 or all of the seals you all have shown. Started the process of removing mine yesterday. Google, You Tube all spit back 1-2 vids showing "3 bolts/studs, pinch the coolant lines, and the bracket assembly falls out in your hand." NOPE!
What am I missing? Hit everything with degreaser and still can't find what's holding it.
Appreciate any and all knowledge and wisdom.

I have an '06 Tundra - 2UZ-FE. Leak appears to be coming from 1 or all of the seals you all have shown. Started the process of removing mine yesterday. Google, You Tube all spit back 1-2 vids showing "3 bolts/studs, pinch the coolant lines, and the bracket assembly falls out in your hand." NOPE!
What am I missing? Hit everything with degreaser and still can't find what's holding it.
Appreciate any and all knowledge and wisdom.
Are you removing the ac compressor to the oil filter housing bolt? I can't confirm with the tundra, but the LC you have a bracket that connects the oil filter housing to the ac compressor.

You have to take out the bolt that connects the two brackets together (ac to oil filter), and then also loosen or remove the lower AC compressor bolt. After this you have the one stud and two bolts then take it off the block and situate it so you can remove the bolts and pull out the housing.

Are you removing the ac compressor to the oil filter housing bolt? I can't confirm with the tundra, but the LC you have a bracket that connects the oil filter housing to the ac compressor.

You have to take out the bolt that connects the two brackets together (ac to oil filter), and then also loosen or remove the lower AC compressor bolt. After this you have the one stud and two bolts then take it off the block and situate it so you can remove the bolts and pull out the housing.
Here are some pics of what I am working with. I had 1 small bracket with a long stud that went to the compressor housing and another that I havent figured out where it goes.
Tundra Oil adapter 3.jpg
Tundra Oil adapter 2.jpg
Tundra Oil adapter 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom