Engine oil cooler gasket woes - huge oil leak (1 Viewer)

Hmm, so do you buy a whole new relief valve to get the small seal for that too?
In this case, yes.

I'll take mine fully off tomorrow get a better look at it, maybe I'm remembering wrong due to the frustration when I was dealing with it lol.
Good plan.

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Hmm, so do you buy a whole new relief valve to get the small seal for that too? My relief valve just had a metal washer on it, which I reused.

As for the o ring on the cooler, I oiled it up a bit to get it to stick, but possible it could've got pinched when I seated it.

I'll take mine fully off tomorrow get a better look at it, maybe I'm remembering wrong due to the frustration when I was dealing with it lol.
This is what I bought for that.

1600828883355.png

I usually rub a small amount of red grease or super lube on o-rings like these so they will be a little sticky won't slide off or bind during installation when I apply pressure by tightening the mating surface. I've seen a few o-rings become pinched under the right circumstances. Getting the big o-ring to mount sideways on a 5VZFE is a trick.

What about the seal that is part 15690 for valve assembly cooler relief. The smaller round O seal that mates up to the cooler shaft.

View attachment 2443437
I do too.

After my first figure 8 o-ring install slipped & piched. I've been used Nylog on both, to hold in place..
005.JPG
Oil filter bracket & cooler seals (3).JPG

Oil filter bracket & cooler seals (5).JPG

flintknapper

SILVER Star

Hmm, so do you buy a whole new relief valve to get the small seal for that too? My relief valve just had a metal washer on it, which I reused.
Correct, relief valve and the seal it uses (regardless construction) is sold as a set.

Part # 15695-50010

Also make sure all of your mating surfaces are clean and flat. Be certain any grooves/inlets for O-Rings are clean and free of debris. I had to dig the O-Ring out of mine in small bits....it was rock hard.

Remember to torque to 51 ft. lbs.

Oil Cooler Seal2.jpg

Oil Cooler Seal3.jpg
Oil Cooler6.jpg

Last edited:
I pinched the gasket, turns out that bump I thought was a passage, was actually part of the gasket that was rock hard in there.

I did notice in my coolant inlet port, there is some rubbery looking material in there, this doesn't seem normal, should I fish it out, is this part of the cooler?

PXL_20200923_213802857.jpg

PXL_20200923_205308932.jpg

PXL_20200923_205354003.jpg

kruisinkid

topless dorkel
SILVER Star

before i got to the end of the first page i wanted to say you probably pinched the O ring. when it comes to pressurized oil/fluid and orings they have to be perfect the first time. ive seen several failures in fluid power systems where the Oring got pinched. best of luck!

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
I soak mine in a mix of Berryman Chem-Dip carb cleaner and kerosene. I keep a can of Berryman around for parts cleaning projects.

I've done this on my other Toyota before the 100 series so I knew what to expect.

These parts need to be squeaky clean for reassembly.

1600899286157.png

1600899411727.png

Don't take this the wrong way, but you dun screwed dat up real good.

Nice that you found the root cause and can fix it!
Lol no offense taken! Been up to my ears in car projects and I got lazy with this task, clearly goofed up! Glad I figured it out though

I soak mine in a mix of Berryman Chem-Dip carb cleaner and kerosene. I keep a can of Berryman around for parts cleaning projects.

I've done this on my other Toyota before the 100 series so I knew what to expect.

These parts need to be squeaky clean for reassembly.

View attachment 2444202

View attachment 2444205
Good tip! I'll be wire wheeling this clean as much as I can

And input on the rubber inside the coolant inlet pipe?

OwnerCS

GOLD Star
Lol no offense taken! Been up to my ears in car projects and I got lazy with this task, clearly goofed up! Glad I figured it out though

Good tip! I'll be wire wheeling this clean as much as I can

And input on the rubber inside the coolant inlet pipe?
I would try to blow it out from the other side with compressed air after using a pick to work it loose. Hard to say without physically having it in hand.

It almost looks like some RTV was floating around in the cooling system that became lodged in the cooler fins.

Berryman straight strength will loosen RTV -- it's just a slow process.

I would try to blow it out from the other side with compressed air after using a pick to work it loose. Hard to say without physically having it in hand.

It almost looks like some RTV was floating around in the cooling system that became lodged in the cooler fins.

Berryman straight strength will loosen RTV -- it's just a slow process.
Good idea with the blowing it out technique, I'll give that a go. This car is just full of surprises. I spent the money for a well taken care of truck, and I got a truck that needs TONS of work, ah well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom