Embarrassed to show the pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you guys are doing all these multiple flushes are you catching and disposing of the coolant/water? Or at some point when it's diluted enough maybe it doesn't matter to capture it?

"When you guys are doing all these multiple flushes are you catching and disposing of the coolant/water?"

Biggest problem with the amounts of antifreeze we deal with when flushing a vehicle cooling system is it can kill any animal that laps it up. If it just ends up in the yard it will be broken down by microbes in the soil or when it gets into groundwater in a few weeks.

I try to collect what I can (ie: first drain of the system) and dispose of it, the rest I flush with a lot of water off into the grass making sure there's no standing puddles of contaminated water for a stray dog or cat to drink.

Last edited:
I'm in the keep flushing it camp.

You've not got much to lose by repeated flushing, a few dollars worth of lost coolant, and some radiator flush product vs choked heater core, head gasket galleries, radiator core.

I previously posted photos of the scale that accumulated inside the radiator hose on my engine that had mixed coolants in it. It's incredible how much scale there was.

There's some great suggestions above.

I also agree, no matter how good a mechanic is, time constraints mean they aren't gonna spend hours flushing a system.
Who's gonna pay hundreds of dollars of shop time for it?

looks like some sort of stop leak a previous owner used....
you'd know right away if they used stop leak...
IMG_9633.JPG
IMG_9635.JPG
IMG_9697.JPG
IMG_9636.JPG
64754713049__2E24CD80-8356-4C4A-AA35-43D232D12037.JPG

Well, I just finished hooking up the Scangauge II on the steering column. Temps are hovering between 179 and 181 depending on town or highway driving with AC on. From what I’ve read, that’s pretty normal temps, would you agree,

Well, I just finished hooking up the Scangauge II on the steering column. Temps are hovering between 179 and 181 depending on town or highway driving with AC on. From what I’ve read, that’s pretty normal temps, would you agree,

Yes, those are good temps and in line with what I see on mine.

I agree another 'flush' is needed somewhere down the road to further clean the 'system'. It is difficult to get all the sludge out without running a cleaner through it first and draining the block. Something most people overlook is your Oil Cooler beneath the exhaust manifold.

If you were to remove the Oil Cooler, clean it and reseal it (its a source for Oil/Coolant cross contamination) you'd be surprised what can collect there.

But you are in MUCH better shape now....than before. 👍

Thanks for the confirmation. I am going to perform additional flushes but Justin did run a cleaner through it and drained the block. He saved my butt catching this. I’ll stay on top of it from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom