Electrics question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks everyone for all the input and the offers of help! I'm really enjoying the discussion. I just got a chance to pull the cover off of the panel in the garage and found out exactly which circuit that junction box is on. And I'm also reminded why electricians run in fear when they see it. Here's a pic:

View attachment 1539296
The circuit in question enters on the lower left and the 2 red wires both go to screw caps. The gray wire joins one red in the rightmost screw cap.
View attachment 1539301
That red continues on to the 3rd breaker down on the right, which is for the family room baseboard heat. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be using that circuit.
Pull those wires out and take a piv
Self-grounded recepts are allowed under Art 250.146 (A) and (B)

No, you must have at least 6" of wire INSIDE the box. You also need at least 3" extending outside the opening of the outlet. See Art 300.14.

...and you're an inspector? :eek:
Yup...... NM state building code is different.... Never seen a self grounding recpt. Been doing Elect work since 1980 FWIW the ICC is still on the 14 code cycle.. The county is on the 2011 NEC. ThE CITY is on the 2014

Pull those wires out and take a piv

Yup...... NM state building code is different.... Never seen a self grounding recpt. Been doing Elect work since 1980 FWIW the ICC is still on the 14 code cycle.. The county is on the 2011 NEC. ThE CITY is on the 2014

Most all spec & commercial grade outlets are self-grounding

250.146(B) Contact Devices or Yokes. Contact devices or yokes designed and listed as self-grounding shall be permitted in conjunction with the supporting screws to establish the grounding circuit between the device yoke and flush-type boxes.

...designed and listed as self-grounding...

But this is the difference. If it doesn't say "self-grounding" on the label, and it doesn't have the little clip on the ear of the yoke, then it's not technically listed.

Self-grounding:
131-T5820-00W_large.jpg

Not listed as self-grounding:
12650-I_large.jpg

It makes no sense to put a self-grounding device in a plastic box. They do cost more.

Never ever have I not installed a ground wire on the ground terminal of a device... After seeing the pic we used them in commercial installs. Grounded them anyway...

:flipoff2:250.146(B) Contact Devices or Yokes. Contact devices or yokes designed and listed as self-grounding shall be permitted in conjunction with the supporting screws to establish the grounding circuit between the device yoke and flush-type boxes.:flipoff2:

:flipoff2:250.146(B) Contact Devices or Yokes. Contact devices or yokes designed and listed as self-grounding shall be permitted in conjunction with the supporting screws to establish the grounding circuit between the device yoke and flush-type boxes.:flipoff2:
Yep..... I read it..... Statement stays.... My employer or me as an employer would fire you for not using a wire.....

Keep in mind as an inspt. I interpert the code as if I am the end user of a property or the owner..... That is my basis of why and what I do.... Add to that the end user gets a better product..

the ground is brown...at least, it is under my feet...

just paint those bare conductors with plastidip and be done with it...it's ONLY 120 volts...

I mean, you are a HOME OWNER, right?

Keep in mind as an inspt. I interpert the code as if I am the end user of a property or the owner..... That is my basis of why and what I do.... Add to that the end user gets a better product..

and you get to have arbitrary control of something/someone... let's not leave that facet out of it...:flipoff2:

and you get to have arbitrary control of something/someone... let's not leave that facet out of it...:flipoff2:
There is that....... Good thing I am not power hungry like some of my co-workers.... Found a recpt over a tub..... Have to bust up tile and change out a mirror.... Live safety.

:lol: kinda makes you wonder why you bother sometimes, don't it?

Personally, I think the inspector was secretly hoping the HO would drop a toaster in with the bubblebath

There were several things he passed that surprised me - some I think he missed, but they all got fixed anyway. But the tub was something I asked the electrician about before it was done, and he called the inspector to check before running the wires. No, I didn't pay any extra.

There were several things he passed that surprised me - some I think he missed, but they all got fixed anyway. But the tub was something I asked the electrician about before it was done, and he called the inspector to check before running the wires. No, I didn't pay any extra.
I would have broke out a tape measure. And the NEC in that one..... NEC 406.9 C ...... Maybe he did not consider that over the tub... I might have.... $$$$$$$ A pic is not how I inspect anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom