Electrical Connector Near Parking Brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed an unused green connector near the white connector for the parking brake light switch. It's not jumping out at me on the electrical diagram. Can someone tell me what this is for? 78 FJ40. Thanks.
connnector.jpg

Maybe the connector for the full throttle switch?

What are the wire colors?
Blue/??? and White/???

Rudi

Maybe the connector for the full throttle switch?
The wire colors match but when I search MUD and the Web, i can't find a picture of this elusive switch or where it is located. My '78 is a CA emissions so I presume it had this switch. Anyone have a pic? My CA emissions are all intact (or so I thought).

Blue/Red is power from the Heater fuse and is used for:
Cluster gauges, Heater blower, Back up light and Brake parking light.
It's optional used for the Transfer indicator switch and the Front drive switch circuit.
White/Black is ground, so if the first 4 mentioned circuits work, that green connector is for the optional Transfer and Front drive switches and indicators.

Rudi

White/Black is ground, so if the first 4 mentioned circuits work, that green connector is for the optional Transfer and Front drive switches and indicators.
Rudi

Yes, the first four work. I don't have transfer or front drive indicators (that I'm aware of) so it must be an unused connector?

Yes, I think so.

Rudi

The electrical diagram for 1978 shows no 4WD switch/indicator that I can see. I guess I could start the motor and see if current flows to the connector when shifted into 4WD. The diagram does however show a full throttle switch but I've yet to see even a picture of one anywhere on the Web. Anyone have a picture of this elusive creature?

Sent from my iPhone

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. It appears I am indeed missing the "full throttle switch" and bracket for my CA emissions. 16 years I never knew this thing existed. Apparently, removing it can result in the truck running rich, which mine always has. I found one here on MUD. If you're curious, here's a picture. Thanks watchncons!

16) Throttle Position Switch (75-79) $20+$4.JPG

Last edited:
And it is adjustable. Can't find my emissions manual right now (spring cleaning garage) but I do remember adjustment is important.

Would someone mind explaining to me just what this "full throttle switch" does?

I have a 01/78 FJ40 and I see the empty plug as well... but, mine is a Fed emissions, not Calif.

Thanks!

The electrical diagram for 1978 shows no 4WD switch/indicator that I can see. I guess I could start the motor and see if current flows to the connector when shifted into 4WD. The diagram does however show a full throttle switch but I've yet to see even a picture of one anywhere on the Web. Anyone have a picture of this elusive creature?

Sent from my iPhone

Can you post a picture, or a link to the diagram, that shows the "full throttle switch" ?
I'm very curious to see this.

Rudi

Can you post a picture, or a link to the diagram, that shows the "full throttle switch" ?
I'm very curious to see this.
Rudi
Rudi, here is the switch from the larger PDF. A link to the electrical diagram is here. I misplaced my emissions manual in the move to NC so I'll be searching for the adjustment procedures. I bought the FJ40 in CA 16 years ago and it passed inspection without the switch installed, so while it's not critical I'm hoping it might help. The PO bought the truck in TX and it had been "de-smogged" and modified with aftermarket header and carb. He spent considerable time and expense returning it to CA stock.

Regarding the 4WD indicator, is the switch visible on the outside of the transfer case?

throttle-diagram.jpg

Rudi, here is the switch from the larger PDF. A link to the electrical diagram is here. I misplaced my emissions manual in the move to NC so I'll be searching for the adjustment procedures. I bought the FJ40 in CA 16 years ago and it passed inspection without the switch installed, so while it's not critical I'm hoping it might help. The PO bought the truck in TX and it had been "de-smogged" and modified with aftermarket header and carb. He spent considerable time and expense returning it to CA stock.

Regarding the 4WD indicator, is the switch visible on the outside of the transfer case?

View attachment 896004

Aha.... now it's getting clear to me. The official name is "THROTTLE POSITION SWITCH" and the wire color is LO (Light) Blue/Orange.
Here is a piece of the FSM wiring diagram.
Image-20_crop.jpg

Another problem solved (for me).

Rudi

I found a full throttle switch for my '78 CA-emissions FJ40. However, something is amiss with the mounting. I have the correct accelerator pedal with the paddle for activating the throttle switch. Behind the paddle is a plastic part where the switch should mount with a center post that almost contacts the back of the paddle when the pedal is not pressed. However, the mount for the switch does not have a center hole to accommodate the post. The post extends through the firewall so you cannot slip the mount between the plastic and firewall. Do I have the wrong throttle switch? Am I missing something elementary?

IMG_0094.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom