EGR valve replacement or De-Smog? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dogwashetc.com
I'm still getting to know my cruiser and I'm starting to realize that certain parts might not be available for my 3FE. EGR valve replacement is a scheduled maintenance item and I'm fairly certain my EGR valve hasn't been changed for 243k miles. If she was running great I wouldn't bother with it but the engine could use some help so I'm systematically changing parts. The EGR valve is discontinued by Toyota and I haven't found an aftermarket valve yet. Does anyone know where I can find an EGR valve? In the event that I can't find one, if I perform a De-smog would this eliminate the need for a working EGR valve?

Unless you need it for smog, yank it! I did and the engine bay looks so much cleaner now, and you're not recirculating gunk into your intake.

Unless you need it for smog, yank it! I did and the engine bay looks so much cleaner now, and you're not recirculating gunk into your intake.
Thanks for the input. I'm no mechanic by any means and I'm not quite sure the procedure to "de-smog". If I yank the EGR valve do I have to do anything else for it to run properly? I assume you can't just remove it and certain steps are probably required? I'm registered as an antique in Maine so therefore I don't have to have it inspected or pass any emission tests. Do you know any threads that explain the process you did?

One of the best guides is a pdf that floats around here. It is for a 60 series with a 3fe but the steps are identical. Plug the exhaust hole, plug the intake hole, and cap the vacuum ports.

One of the best guides is a pdf that floats around here. It is for a 60 series with a 3fe but the steps are identical. Plug the exhaust hole, plug the intake hole, and cap the vacuum ports.
This sounds like the way to go. I'd be saving money on parts and gaining power at the same time. Do you see MPG gains as well?

I did other mods at the same time but I would say it might be a pinch better. A failed EGR system can definitely hurt fuel economy and power. The best benefits for me are less stuff to break and more room in the engine bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom