EGR Problem??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am running into code 71. Thanks for all information that is in this thread. I will start my diagnosis to clear the code. My truck failed smog and reports HC over max limit allowed in CA. Like others reported truck is running rough at idle. I did seafoam treatment as well. I will take back for smog recheck after code doesn't appear again. I also cleaned distributor cap and put new air filter. I also check spark plugs and they seem to fine and no signs of burned engine oil. This is my first FZJ80. Picked it up last weekend and has 329k on clock. Still runs.

Last edited:
can anybody assist me... i read that on the 3fe when the egr is not functioning... you have low power until 3500 rpm... is the 1fz the same... i'm having real rough idle at times and it feels like a turbo kicks in at 3500rpm just like i read about the 3fe... i assume that most egr systems probably behave the same but thought i would read something about the power loss in this thread somewhere to further diagnose my issue... thanks for the input!

I have been getting the code 71 on a 93 80 I just put back together. Check the egr temp sensor and it is open at any temp. Put it in a temp bath at work and same result. Bought a new one today and installed and we will see how it goes. Just an fyi it read 266k ohms right out of the box at 68 deg ambient temp.
Thanks to all on mud always good info here.

Well, looks like I've gotten the same bug as the rest of you: the dreaded P0401 on a '95.

I've checked the modulator... replaced the valve... used the resistance method to test the VSV... (Here. Genius move, by the way)... and STILL getting the 401.
Ugh.
Digging through a few of these threads, it looks like the next bet is to start testing the no-so-easily-accessible hoses (if I can figure out which ones...).

This thread's been a huge help: thanks for all the insight!

All, my '93 has thrown EGR codes a few times over my decade+ of ownership, twice replacing all the parts with OEM kit it came back a 3rd time. Not only throwing the CEL but also producing rough idle and stalling at very inconvenient times (ie: losing power steering with 37" tires in the middle of an intersection when lifting from the throttle...)
I went a different route. I bought the huddexpo 1993-1994 FJ80 EGR Temp Sensor Test Plug Kit / EGRTK93-94 and have had no issues since installing. It took about a week or two (but I only drive mine once a week or so) to self clear the CEL and have had zero stalls and a normal Idle since deploying the 'test kit'.

The bonus is all of the original parts and hoses remain visibly unchanged when viewing the engine bay, for those with picky state inspectors.

You can debate this all you want, but the EGR system was an after thought which had to be added to conform to USA emissions at the time. The negative side effect was:
  • Blowing the HG at cylinder 6
  • Destroying wiring from heat
This is why 1fzfe worldwide outside USA have gone over 300k without issues.

Also, what makes the African market Land Cruiser (which have over 300k) different than USA ? That damn egr crap!!

So glad I did this mod also and quite early in my Land Cruiser life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom