Wanted EGR Components for 77 FJ40

Beachcomber Bernie

Wife Approved, Mud-life crisis
SILVER Star
Mine is April '76.
Get the FSM (SOR has a reprint). There are about a dozen components you'll need to get/check before you attempt to smog. This is an easy read and I can help walk you through the sections.

Unless you just haven't found yours yet, the toughest hurdle will be to find a working emissions computer.

Post some pics of the carb/manifold area so we can see if you have an air rail, temp switches, etc.

Mine is April '76.
Get the FSM (SOR has a reprint). There are about a dozen components you'll need to get/check before you attempt to smog. This is an easy read and I can help walk you through the sections.

Unless you just haven't found yours yet, the toughest hurdle will be to find a working emissions computer.

Post some pics of the carb/manifold area so we can see if you have an air rail, temp switches, etc.
Thank you--would love all the help I can get! I'll post some pics in a few.

Here are some pics. This is my first FJ40, so I am definitely new to all the ins and outs. I pulled off the carb to rebuild it and noticed I had a cracked exhaust manifold and zero EGR equipment. I ended up recently selling my FJ80 since I've gotten so deep into this project, but still love her!

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2310.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2312.JPG

Beachcomber Bernie

SILVER Star
That's a rats nest for sure, but don't be put off. Mine was just as bad from 40 years of bonehead POs. It's gonna be lots of little steps and if the worst is a cracked manifold, we'll get you there.

Now, time to carefully disassemble and inventory. Bag and tag everything, keeping everything together per component. I like to take lots of pics before removing each component.

Looks like you've still got the vacuume surge tank. Little white plastic cylinder attached to your DS fender. Be gentle with this as the nipples self destruct. Better to cut off the rubber tubes and then surgically remove the excess on your bench then try to twist them off while it is installed. This goes for all that 1/4" vac line as you will prob be running new lines anyway. Do NOT cut those larger smog hoses.

You've also got VSV, air rail w/ check valve and smog pump. Bench testing each of these is covered in the Emissions FSM. Post better pics of the manis when you get that far.

BTW, nice color.

Last edited:
That's a rats nest for sure, but don't be put off. Mine was just as bad from 40 years of bonehead POs. It's gonna be lots of little steps and if the worst is a cracked manifold, we'll get you there.

Now, time to carefully disassemble and inventory. Bag and tag everything, keeping everything together per component. I like to take lots of pics before removing each component.

Looks like you've still got the vacuume surge tank. Little white plastic cylinder attached to your DS fender. Be gentle with this as the nipples self destruct. Better to cut off the rubber tubes and then surgically remove the excess on your bench then try to twist them off while it is installed. This goes for all that 1/4" vac line as you will prob be running new lines anyway. Do NOT cut those larger smog hoses.

You've also got VSV, air rail w/ check valve and smog pump. Bench testing each of these is covered in the Emissions FSM. Post better pics of the manis when you get that far.

BTW, nice color.
Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice! I can't wait to get her back on the road again. I was driving her on the weekends for a while and then she started running hot. Around the same time, I started leaking coolant from the rear heater. i did not put two and two together and figured I had a leak inside the heater. Pulled the rear heater core apart, tested everything there, and it was all good. Did the water pump and thermostat, put everything back together, and still running hot. Started leaking coolant from the hoses attched to the radiator, water pump, and thermostat. It was like playing whack a mole--everthing was tight and good. Now, I finally think i have realized I probably have a head gasket leak or cracked head which is causing the whole system to be over pressurized and probably a vacuum leak making carb adjustment near impossible. Still love it though. I got projects to keep my going for a few years!

Did you pick up your emissions FSM from SOR?

Beachcomber Bernie

SILVER Star
Man, I was right where you are 5 months ago.
The '76 Emissions man is avail from SOR. A bit pricy cause it covers multiple vehicles. I personally like paper docs for notes.

Start your thread..."Help me smog my '76"

Man, I was right where you are 5 months ago.
The '76 Emissions man is avail from SOR. A bit pricy cause it covers multiple vehicles. I personally like paper docs for notes.

Start your thread..."Help me smog my '76"
I'll pick an emission manual up, start getting at it, and start posting!

Top Bottom