Efscalade - Tinker Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why "Fscalade"? Because I could have gone to a Cadillac dealer and bought an Escalade by the time I'm done throwing $$$$ at this thing but anyone can do that.

I'm hesitant to call it a "Build" because it pales in comparison to the hard work that many of you guys put into your rigs. Although I can't weld I can do just about anything else but my problem is time. 3 young kids, work, travel hockey, basketball and a plethora of other non-garage related activities eat up my time like a fat kid at an ice cream buffet.

So here's my short story...I bought this truck about 2 years ago from the west coast. It was a clean good running truck with 230K. Mostly all original with an average repaint. Finding a clean original was my goal and where I wanted to start. When I got it I did the usual...changed fluids, vacuum hoses, broken switches/sensors, new wheels/33s, H55f, POR15 on the frame and drove it.

Then I started reading way too much on MUD and my OCD took control.

Fast forward to Feb 2016 at which point I started a conversation with Tor Slinning about a diesel conversion. After more reading and more OCD I convinced my wife to let me go this route since I've been buying her new cars when every the family grew while I continued to drive used "beaters". What she doesn't know is that I love driving my so called "beaters" (1994 4runner 5-speed, 1988 Blazer, 2001 M5...all driven for a couple years then sold for the next fun thing).

Most of the work (who am I kidding all of the hard work) was done by the professionals at Torfab. Tor's team converted it to a 1HDt, GTurbo, w2a intercooler, 80 FF rear with discs and Tundra brakes up front. Essentially, they turned awesome into super awesome in a couple months. Most of you know about the quality that comes out of Torfab so I won't gush too much. They exceeded my expectations across the board.

The future is bright but only as bright as my bank account allows. I plan to add the following in no particular order or time frame. I'll document the addition/changes in this thread.

-Webasto coolant heater
-BMW front and back seats - I have the seats and Torfab is hooking me up with their first production pre-85 seat brackets. More props.
-cruiser crap console
-euro mirrors
-interior soundproofing
-sound system - nothing fancy just want to hook up my phone
-rear locker/compressor
-bought Beno's Slee-like rear bumper made by Trail Tailor and waiting on getting it back from the powder coater so I can install.
-changing the wheels out to Wheel Vintques Smoothies with custom offset so they tuck into the wells (waiting on delivery) ***Anyone looking for a set of 17x8 with 4.5 BS?***
-rear storage from wagon gear

Thanks to all of you who've answered my (sometimes stupid) questions over the past couple years.

20170105_220941610_iOS.jpg
20170105_221052516_iOS.jpg
20170105_221047646_iOS.jpg
20170105_221134214_iOS.jpg

That looks so nice? Is that a water to water intercooler? Never seen one like that!

That looks so nice? Is that a water to water intercooler? Never seen one like that!

There is a small radiator mounted in front of the regular radiator and a pump that moves the water from the intercooler to the heat exchanger (other radiator) in the front of the truck. EGTs sit at about 300 when idling, 400 when cruising, 600-700 when accelerating hard. No mountain passes in IL but Tor said that he could not get the EGTs past 1000 no matter how hard he beat on it.

Can you provide some more pics/info of the inter cooler setup? That's the next thing for my HZT62....

Brand names and part numbers would be awesome. That's a pretty slick setup.

Thanks!

Seth
Sonoma

Can you provide some more pics/info of the inter cooler setup? That's the next thing for my HZT62....

Brand names and part numbers would be awesome. That's a pretty slick setup.

Thanks!

Seth
Sonoma

The IC has 'HPD' stamped on it but I haven't been able to find it online anywhere. Basically there is a pump under the drvrs side battery that moves coolant between the IC and the head exchanger. Tried to get some pics but getting one of the pump is difficult because it's buried.
IMG_1612.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1614.JPG
IMG_1615.JPG

hpd is out of australia. they sell nice looking stuff. did you have to trim your middle rad support to get that rad in there? i am looking for a w to a rad that will fit and flow a decent amount of coolant. i have a similar set up as you just working on the intercooler stuff now

all the stuff i see in the hpd site for the 60 series are air to air though so i don't know what one your actually running

hpd is out of australia. they sell nice looking stuff. did you have to trim your middle rad support to get that rad in there? i am looking for a w to a rad that will fit and flow a decent amount of coolant. i have a similar set up as you just working on the intercooler stuff now

all the stuff i see in the hpd site for the 60 series are air to air though so i don't know what one your actually running

I'm familiar with HPD's stuff as well and have never seen a w2a IC from them so I'm also a bit dumbfounded. You may want to contact Torfab. I have a feeling they are piecing things together to make this kit and maybe they will sell you one or tell you where to source the parts. The bracket holding the heat exchanger to the rad support looks like something Torfab created.

The rad support does not appear to have been trimmed but the plastic grill has definitely been trimmed/shaved so that it could fit between the radiator and the grill. It actually looks stock and, from the outside, you can't tell that the grill has been trimmed.

Ran the first full take of fuel through with the corrected speedometer and averaged 21.8 mpg! 408 miles on 18.771 gallons!

About 1/3 highway driving at 70-75 mph. The rest putzing around town.

For a 2" lift and 34" mud terrains I'd say that's pretty darn good.

Nice "beater" man. Love the Fscalade name too. So appropriate. Post more pics!

Thanks Tor. I'll be enjoying the 60 for a long time. Took care of some odds and ends this past weekend.

1. Picked up a Webasto Top C and will install as soon as I can fab up a bracket.
2. Installed a drvrs OEM window reg. If you do this, do yourself a favor and pay the extra $ for OEM or you will be changing it again in a couple year. Thanks Onur!
3. Since I had the door card off I cleaned it with Woolite and holy crap! I scrubbed it with a plastic brush and then wiped dry with a towel. The towel was almost black when I was done so I did the other three. Once dry they looked new! Also replaced the little plastic washer between the door card and window crank. Thanks again Onur!

Lastly, the rubber fender skirts that separate the wheel well from the engine bay are still available from Toy but are pretty damn expensive. I ordered the OEM clips and bought $5 worth of shower pan liner from HDepot. Upside is that it was $5. Down side is that it's gray. I'll post up some pics when I fab those up and install.

Lastly, the rubber fender skirts that separate the wheel well from the engine bay are still available from Toy but are pretty damn expensive. I ordered the OEM clips and bought $5 worth of shower pan liner from HDepot. Upside is that it was $5. Down side is that it's gray. I'll post up some pics when I fab those up and install.

Jason (@reevesci) sells reproductions for much cheaper than OEM but are OEM or better quality. Good investment down the road if the shower pan doesn't pan out..

Installed some fender skirts. I was tempted to buy Jason's but had 30 min today to screw around and had the material on hand. If these fail, I'll get real ones.

Material: 16 OEM clips from Onur. 1' x 5' piece of shower pan liner from Home Depot. Total cost: $14

I made a template out of printer paper taped together, cut and installed. Slightly ghetto? Yep.
IMG_1642.JPG
IMG_1643.JPG

Love this truck!! Awesome location for the fuel filter, in the DS fender. Have any more pictures of the bracket that was made for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom