Edgestar fridges? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wow i am looking up this frig now. i may just one one that does not set me back a mint. sweet thanks guys

I love the low voltage cut-off feature! The fridge's compressor switches off, but continues to display internal temperature and had a blinking LED to tell me that the battery voltage was low. Still had plenty of juice to crank over my diesel after the fridge temp got up to 48 (set to 34).

Two batteries would extend my range to a solid 4-5 days running my large fridge without turning the truck on and I'll never have to worry about there not being enough juice to turn the truck back on!

wow i am looking up this frig now. i may just one one that does not set me back a mint. sweet thanks guys
Watch for open box deals, that's how I found mine. I got the 63 qt for around $300 with freight. After we unpacked it took half an hour to find the scratch.

Has anyone dealt with replacing the hinges and grab handles on these Edgestar fridges with something more substantial? I've had both grab handles fall apart and recently both hinges have disintegrated.

I would look at mcmasster carr and get creative, probably lots of options there.....

Agreed completely. I love mcmaster. Was hoping to eliminate some of the guesswork though :D

Check out this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rolling-the-dice-on-this-fridge-63qqt-270-shipped.788578/

There are some options for handles & tie downs. I bent some 12ga steel and put it behind the handle for a tie down point. I believe warezdog found some handles that work well.

Thanks boss :cheers: Should have dug into that thread a bit more before posting up.

For reference, this thing will work great :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chest-Handl...d=100011&prg=9138&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=221248571970

Definitely an improvement over the plastic handles. I just bought 4 direct from Zoro for $18 shipped. I'll need an extra set when I find a second fridge.

Last edited:
I have the big one and was actually looking to downsize. No one is looking to pick up a larger Edgestar are they? Possible trade?

What size do you have? Those 80+ ones look like they'd work better with a swing tailgate. The 63 is pretty tall in my 100 on a slide maybe 3-4" high.

I have the FP630 (just checked), so it's not even the largest model! I have it on top of my drawers, which are maybe 8" high, so I can't open the lid all the way.

I'd like a fridge that fits between the wheel well and the corner of the truck, so it sits lower and is more out of the way. I'll still take this one over a cooler though, any day of the week :D

I'm thinking about grabbing a 43qt. Unit for my fj and using a power inverter verses a cigarette plug.

I'm thinking about grabbing a 43qt. Unit for my fj and using a power inverter verses a cigarette plug.

this is not very energy efficient and a bad idea, if you can always use dc directly it is a better option IMO.

Cool beans. I rolled the dice and ordered an EdgeStar 43 Quart. It has mixed reviews so hopefully I don't get a lemon

Seems like if you get a working one, they work pretty well. I'd pop the panel on it when you get it and check the tightenness of the spade connections behind the access plate. Those seemed to be loose on a lot of fridges. I tightened mine, but I bet a little electric grease could help too.

Mine has been strapped down in the back of my 100 for over a year and has defintely been bounced around and still works (heard a lot of other stories like that).

Received my Edgestar today! Currently performing an operational checkout with it plugged into the wall. Once cycled I'll turn it off. I need to i stall a 12v aux plug before making a home for it in the FJ... So far so good. Cooling down fast without the fast freeze. I also have a secondary thermometer inside to temp sensor accuracy verification. I definitely see what's Kent by flimsy handles. Not bad to carry empty if physically capable but any real hard lifting force or "throwing around" I'm sure will snap them off as stated. I plan on running a tiedown strap over the top and around to secure it to my E-tracks. Think I might use some of the packing foam to ensure there is a gap as to not block the inlet vent. You'll see what I mean when I get it installed. Hopefully tomorrow!

Last edited:
Dont know if it was mentioned yet but there is a review on amazon about these fridges (wyntner/edgestar) where it's shown that the aluminum sheet inside touches the steel tubing for the refrigerant causing galvanic corrosion when condensation collects inside. It ate through the tubing after a couple/few years causing a loss of refrigerant. The owner peeled back the sheeting and posted pics of heavy corrosion that could have been prevented by a simple plastic sheet barrier between the two metals.

Last edited:
Found it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r.../ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0012EGZ9S

51Bp5SrhRQL._SL1600_.jpg

Sorry guys. :(

Maybe they've addressed this issue?

I saw that... I'll let you know how mine looks in a year or so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom