EchoSpartan’s Salt Lake Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! I’ve been lurking the forums for a long time now, and made my account a week after picking up a totally babied 100 series from my best friend. I’ve actually migrated to ih8mud from T4R.org where I had my build thread for my 3rd gen 4runner. If you are interested in that rather brief, yet detailed, build: you can read the thread here. It will hopefully give you an idea for the level of detail I hope to go for with this thread!

So before I talk about where I am currently with the LC, I have to backtrack a bit.

At the end of August 2019, I flew back to Oregon to pick up my Land Cruiser. A bone stock, white 2003 that had only two owners: the first being a nice older gentleman who never took it offroad and kept it in his garage, using it sparingly for the first 130k miles. My friend was the second owner and had only had it for a year and change before selling it to me (he has a super sick, built 3rd gen 4runner as his off-road monster and didn’t need the 100 series as a daily driver anymore).

I picked it up off him at 163k miles in pristine condition!

IMG_20190829_135821.jpg

Before I even let the ink dry on the title transfer, I installed a Baja Racks roof rack on it in preparation for the road trip back to Salt Lake City.

IMG_20190829_194606.jpg

I departed the following day with friends in tow, since we figured we would make a Yellowstone trip out of it. “But EchoSpartan!” you may be asking, “Where will you be sleeping on a multi-day road trip in a bone stock 100 series??”

Worry not my muddy friend, for on my way through Bend, Oregon I stopped by our good friends at @cvttents to grab myself a hard shell rooftop tent! I had long yearned for a RTT of my own, having used my friends in the past. But they have always had soft shells and told me that if they were to start again, they would use a 100 series as a starting rig and get a hard shell for a tent. So I did both! (4runner pictured belongs to the friend that I bought the 100 series from)

MVIMG_20190831_200840.jpg

MVIMG_20190901_175600.jpg

We slowly made our way through Idaho and into Grand Tetons, my last day before splitting off from my friends was a brief stint in Yellowstone. It was gorgeous and I have plans on coming back to explore it more.

IMG_20190902_202229.jpg

This was taken the second I pulled into my driveway in SLC coming from Yellowstone, it will probably be (and so far has been) the last time I’ll see this high of gas mileage from this vehicle.

When I got back, I threw up a bunch of stickers I had been saving for the LC as well as transferred all my patches from the 4runner to the crisp new headliner of the LC. A required “mod”.

I still have a bit of catching up to do before we are in the present day, but I think this is where I will end my first post. I’m super happy to be a part of the ih8mud community and excited to have another build thread of my own; so stick around for further updates since I’ve definitely done more work to my Cruiser since last September and have big plans for the future!

Alright, this one will be a bit short since I’m trying to follow a narrative and at this point in time, I found myself going into my first Utah winter and not a lot of off-roading was to be had.

IMG_20190907_162123.jpg

Before the winter really hit, I was able to go on a quick camping trip for my birthday in the Uintas. Bad news is that the morning after waking up, I came to discover one of my tires had a nail through it. So after driving carefully back home, I got it patched up by the good folks over at Discount Tire. But literally a week later I got another nail through the exact same tire. Ugh.

I decided to just bite the bullet and do my first meaningful upgrade, which was new tires! I loved my Duratracs on my 4runner, so I kept with tradition. Got myself some 275/65/R18 slapped on there and I love them, no clearance issues with stock suspension (even though the Discount Tire employee told me I would have some, smh).

signal-2019-11-20-172740.jpg

Winter really started to hit after that. Being on my own with no one else to wheel with, I hesitated to go snow wheeling, so it basically put a temporary end to my off-roading journey. I also spent my fun money on getting geared out for snowboarding since that’s always been something I’ve wanted to get into and growing up in Oregon I never really had the opportunity for it. But the Cruiser did me justice lugging me up to Brighton almost every weekend. I’d go first thing in the mornings, get prime parking and board for a few hours; breaking for lunch, busting out my stove top right in the parking lot. Heated seats are a godsend.

I did end up swapping out the old OEM lift struts with new ones off Amazon since I came to find out that when in cold environments, the worn out struts wouldn’t support the weight as well and would bonk me on the head.

20191230_153226.jpg

(Somehow have no pics of the LC in the snow)

IMG_20200603_121903.jpg

Bonus pic of patches on my headliner

Nice looking Cruiser. I'm also an Oregon native living in Utah. 🍻

Nice looking Cruiser. I'm also an Oregon native living in Utah. 🍻

Cheers, brother!

Looking good!

Thank you, definitely a work in progress!

Looking good :cool: I'm also in Salt lake city. There are pretty sweet offroad trails and camping in American fork.

Thanks! I just went up AF Canyon a weekend or two ago, it was amazing. I live like 25 minutes from the mouth of the canyon so it's now my goto quick getaway spot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom