Eaton E-Locker in a 2018 GX460? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Reactions: r2m
I just went with ARB front and rear lockers, along with regearing both diff's.
I figure I'll want an on board air compressor anyways, so why not have it work the lockers also?
Got it all from here: JustDifferentials.com - https://www.justdifferentials.com/
Richard, everyone I know who has ARB’s has, at some point, had issues with them. Mostly from a hole in the air line but other have had other issues. If I put lockers in mine (and it’s doubtful I will) I would go with e-lockers. Just my .02.

Fully wired and switched but just haven't had the time to complete the install. Local shops still seem to be backlogged and I don't have the time to entertain & learn the physical install of this project as it is more than just R & I. Almost seems like the art of clutching... again too short of time to learn for the time being.

I have front and rear arb lockers on the GX and factory rear and arb front lockers on the Tacoma. The arb air lockers have instant engagement where as the factory e locker on the Tacoma usually does not, which is certainly nice.

I did have an internal seal cause an air leak on the front locker on the GX, but arb covered the whole thing under warranty.

Reliability > instant engagement. The GX is not a rock crawler, and we barely need lockers. Stick with Eaton E locker if you want to seal up your diff and never mess with it again.

If you are taking your axles apart every year anyway (like most crawler folks) then by all means, get the ARB and keep extra seals on hand.

Reliability > instant engagement. The GX is not a rock crawler, and we barely need lockers. Stick with Eaton E locker if you want to seal up your diff and never mess with it again.

If you are taking your axles apart every year anyway (like most crawler folks) then by all means, get the ARB and keep extra seals on hand.
Lol, there is some truth to this. ARBs are robust and generally reliable, except when they are not. I had ARB lockers on a couple of previous rigs and had to take the diffs out a couple of times to replace seals.

I would not recommend an E-locker or air locker on a GX. If anything I would get a TruTrac diff and be done with it.

For those that come across this thread and don't know.. a rear e-locker is a common option on 150 series in other markets outside of North America.... nowhere on the 460 stock but definitely on the Prado.

EDIT: Aside from the 5th gen 4R equipped models with E-locker..... I was too late before replying

Rear e-locker is fine. If you're going to do a front locker in any IFS vehicle it should be an air locker. E-lockers need to be unloaded in order for them to be disengaged. The last thing you want is a broken axle or differential because you couldn't disengage the front e-locker due to it being loaded. Air locker instant disengaging is the only way for an IFS front locker IMO.

I have OEM rear e-locker and an ARB front.

I run e-lockers front and rear on the 470 and they are very handy for 3-5 seconds at a time, once in a while. They unlock just fine. You should not be engaging and disengaging any lockers when your axles are loaded. ARB is no different see page 4;

You definitely should not be using lockers AT ALL without fully reading and understanding the manufacturer's instructions. Great way to ruin the locking mechanism.

There is a blank hole tight next to the ‘2nd start’ button for a factory Toyota front/rear locker switch like you would get in a LC. It's almost as if it were made for one! I would guess the 460 has something similar.

223E056F-A72E-4BD7-9B03-191EDA0249C3.jpeg

Had a rear trutrac in the past, they get sketchy in snow and ice. As I recall, once it "locks" it doesn't unlock until you let off the throttle. That was on a reg. cab diesel F250 so considerably heavier in the front, who knows.. but it sure liked to slip and slide with an empty bed, even in 4x4. IMO if you are going through the trouble of opening the case and rebuilding the diff, just spend another few hundred bucks and get an electronic selectable locker.

Last edited:
I mis-spoke. I’m talking about weird use case scenarios where you need to turn immediately after using it and sometimes waiting for the e locker can be detrimental. Any locker won’t disengage under load but if you’re in a weird scenario and need that instant disengagement, e locker can’t do that. It’s well know an air locker disengages/engages way better than an e-locker. I’ve had multiple instances trying to get my rear e-locker to disengage and it can sometimes take a while. As fragile as front axles/front diffs are, I want that instant disengagement to help protect my front end. It is personal preference as much as anything though based on each persons use case.

Last edited:
Too bad ARB does not prioritize reliability over selling more air compressors. I'm sure they could easily take their air locker and run it on an electronically actuated magnet and ditch the need for compressed air seals. I do agree the mechanisms are better, just not worth the eventual headaches.

Richard, everyone I know who has ARB’s has, at some point, had issues with them. Mostly from a hole in the air line but other have had other issues. If I put lockers in mine (and it’s doubtful I will) I would go with e-lockers. Just my .02.
Yep, I agree. I had to have my front ARB locker R&R because it was a series of factory defects from China (just using the the name China should make one suspect something's gonna happen....) Fortunately YotaMasters was able to do a complete R&R with a newer series of lockers from ARB that were built correctly. They did this with zero out-of-pocket costs for me. From the story told, a bunch of these Chinese lockers with a certain color rings (orange??) were recalled, but a few were still on shelves, which I happen to be unlucky enough to to have one find it's way into my rig.
It's been 4 years and no issues with any thing ARB on my rig (so far). But I'm not too worried.

I have front and rear arb lockers on the GX and factory rear and arb front lockers on the Tacoma. The arb air lockers have instant engagement where as the factory e locker on the Tacoma usually does not, which is certainly nice.

I did have an internal seal cause an air leak on the front locker on the GX, but arb covered the whole thing under warranty.
Both our 100 series Landcruisers had factory rear e-lockers. From 1998 to about 2000 (or 2002 I think) it was an option on the 100 series Hundy's. After that Toyota added electronics for off road ability and took away the rear locker.

I still haven't figured out if an Eaton E-Locker even works on my 2018 model, all of the sites say up to 2017, have tried getting in touch with a few with no such luck.

I still haven't figured out if an Eaton E-Locker even works on my 2018 model, all of the sites say up to 2017, have tried getting in touch with a few with no such luck.
I am not aware of any difference between 2017 and 2018 GX diffs. They probably haven't updated their listing in that long.

In my experirence with ARB, "instant disengagement" wasn't always the case, especially in high-traction situations like Moab. If I had to turn immediately after climbing an obstacle where the front locker was necessary (like the wall on Gold Bar Rim) it was sometimes a problem to get it to disengage,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom