Early pickup/hilux and 4-runner tech and classifieds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am considering working out a trade with this guy for my pickup.

1985 Toyota 4Runner 4x4

I was wondering if someone out there in cottonland with a trailer might be willing to help me get it back here. I would cover fuel and expenses and add some cash for your trouble. He may be able to meet us halfway.

Last edited:
Sweet 4Runner. Longs front, Alloys rear. 5.29s. Looks like a good find for the money. Even better if you can trade.

Good luck, Barry!

It would take a while to make a profit off of parting that out. It would take time, tons of effort, and you'd have to sell every last bolt on that vehicle.

I would steer away from the mindset of "if all else fails, I'll make money on parting it out." Toyota people - particularly mini-truck folks - are generally cheap. Sometimes it's amazing how cheap we are.

If all it needs is a head gasket and some elbow grease, that's a good deal. If any surprises come up, you're looking at a ship that could sink quick. Just my two pennies...

slight wierdness

anyone ever have their starter motor mounting bolts vibrate loose? I guess the last installer didn't tighten them down enough. my starter began to spin freely and wouldn't catch the flywheel teeth. I assumed it had spun out. retighened the bolts and she cranked right up.

Anybody get any other pics of it?

went for a ride today in my 87 4 runner and started missing on number 3 then I lost another cylinder and then I felt like I lost a third cylinder. I thought maybe the fuel injectors we're getting clogged again. got home and drained the tank and this is what I found!

ForumRunner_20120628_224751.jpg

then I decided to go ahead and just drop the tank and then this is what I found inside the tank!

ForumRunner_20120628_224824.jpg

this truck has been sitting for about 6 years with the gas almost empty. so if you think you're gonna let a vehicle set for any amount of time go ahead and fill it up before you park it!

White Trash of the Elwood Chapter, TORC4x4.org, Cottonland Cruisers.

ForumRunner_20120628_224751.jpg

ForumRunner_20120628_224824.jpg

Great advice David and it applies to all your powered equipment such as lawn mowers, weedeaters, boats, etc. A full gas tank will have less condensation. Thanks for the pics! - Sorry about your problem though. Gonna replace the tank or try one of the liner systems out there?

We have used coatings in tractor tanks before and it worked great. I have some por15 tank sealed I'll give a try. Going to get after it with a wire brush and sand paper with HOT water and soap and see how clean I can get it first.

I also recommend some STABIL for storage and some HEET to get rid of the water.

If you plan to store for a while, you're better off with ethanol-free gas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've had terrible luck with startup after sitting due to the ethanol in the gas turning to water and really becoming a huge headache. Starts are much harder with water in the tank :frown:

I also recommend some STABIL for storage and some HEET to get rid of the water.

If you plan to store for a while, you're better off with ethanol-free gas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've had terrible luck with startup after sitting due to the ethanol in the gas turning to water and really becoming a huge headache. Starts are much harder with water in the tank :frown:

You are correct Sir! Ethanol laced fuel is the devil!

Stopped up a bit! B12 took care of it! Now to seal the tank and blow al the lineage out. New filter and put it all back together.

ForumRunner_20120630_154344.jpg

ForumRunner_20120630_154344.jpg

Sealed up!

ForumRunner_20120630_173546.jpg

ForumRunner_20120630_173546.jpg

Parts or project? Guess we'll let the truck decide.

image-1698645856.jpg

image-2631113345.jpg

image-1723901461.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom