Dust Prevention? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Simple problem: Cruiser parked outside. Temps can be over 100 (120 on one occasion), so keeping the things buttoned up is not an option. When the windows are cracked open an inch or two, everything winds up covered with dust/dirt/grit or whatever you wanna call whatever's floating around in L.A, air. The only solutions that come to mind are getting those things that cover the window-top area (forget what they're called--rain guards?), putting some kind of fine mesh over every window (PITA to keep changing out, and draws attention), or cracking the sunroof and putting some kind of mesh up there (also a PITA, draws attention and could let enough grit through to mess up the sunroof--and if it rains, well, that's another problem...).

Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
What kind of rack do you have?

What kind of rack do you have?
Eezi-Awn 2.2 meter. Not mounted at the moment. What are you thinking--open sunroof, use mesh, conceal with roof rack (which should also block a lot of dust)? I'm liking that already. (Head-slap...)

Well i have the bowfin and when i had a full sheet of plywood i got an idea that it can rain as hard as it wants and i can have the sun roof open. You could easily get the foam used for air filters and make a filter that lets hot air up and out. It would be secure as anything else.

Well i have the bowfin and when i had a full sheet of plywood i got an idea that it can rain as hard as it wants and i can have the sun roof open. You could easily get the foam used for air filters and make a filter that lets hot air up and out. It would be secure as anything else.
I like that too, thanks! You have me thinking in new directions.

You could put a solar panel up there... Small 10watt and use a PC fan pulling air through a HEPA shop vac filter and pushing in to the cab. You have enough room if you are clever with a 3d printer

One option.... Custom sunshields
They are not that hard to make.
Reflectix from home depot - Reflectix 48 in. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation Roll BP48025 - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-48-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-Roll-BP48025/100052556#overlay
Quilted Ironing board fabric for the inside layer - https://www.joann.com/quilted-ironing-board-cover-fabric/5987888.html
Some small magnets around the edge to help hold them to the window frame
and some piping to sew around the parameter of the shields.

This solution should lower inside temps drastically. Of course nothing beats having some fresh air flow but this blocks 100% of the incoming light and keeps things from heating up from the radiant heat from the sun. They take about a minute to put in the windows. Also drastically helps keep the sun off of interior panels so they don't fade further. These work even better when you've also got window tint.

Ceramic window tints are becoming nice to have also. Pick your flavor on what brand to look at if you haven't already.
Last time I compared the Huper Optik brand. They lightest 70% ceramic tint rejected more solar heat than their 5% dyed films. Imagine what a 20% or 30% ceramic tint does for rejecting heat.
sunshields2.jpg
sunshields.jpg

Wonder if you could find a house furnace filter that is the shape of the sunroof? Then stretch/wrap filter in some spandex-like material (think panty-hose) so that it doesnt exactly look stupid. Hell, even a pillow case might work....it should breathe.

Sunshade + filtered vent!

If your goal is to keep some fresh air circulating, maybe a 12V computer fan stuck somewhere in the fresh air intake, like above the squirrel fan.

If you combined this with one of the "cabin air filter" mods folks have done, you'd end up with reasonably clean air and a (slightly) positive pressure environment.

Another alternative: build something that locks between the rear driver's side window and the top of the door with filtered fans running. They already have aftermarket stuff like this intended for keeping pets cool, but I'd want one made of more crackhead-proof material. You'd still have a filter to clean, but it would only be on one, easily accessed window.

One option.... Custom sunshields
They are not that hard to make.
Reflectix from home depot - Reflectix 48 in. x 25 ft. Double Reflective Insulation Roll BP48025 - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-48-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-Roll-BP48025/100052556#overlay
Quilted Ironing board fabric for the inside layer - https://www.joann.com/quilted-ironing-board-cover-fabric/5987888.html
Some small magnets around the edge to help hold them to the window frame
and some piping to sew around the parameter of the shields.

This solution should lower inside temps drastically. Of course nothing beats having some fresh air flow but this blocks 100% of the incoming light and keeps things from heating up from the radiant heat from the sun. They take about a minute to put in the windows. Also drastically helps keep the sun off of interior panels so they don't fade further. These work even better when you've also got window tint.

Ceramic window tints are becoming nice to have also. Pick your flavor on what brand to look at if you haven't already.
Last time I compared the Huper Optik brand. They lightest 70% ceramic tint rejected more solar heat than their 5% dyed films. Imagine what a 20% or 30% ceramic tint does for rejecting heat.
View attachment 3011475View attachment 3011476
I like it if the location is secure (or remote); otherwise some folks start wondering what you're hiding and bust a window to find out.

excellent idea @Mrtwooooo .
Well done - added to my must do list.
I might make one for the sunroof "solar collector" as well - been seeking a good method for that one.
I made an extensive intake air path heat shield out of that Reflectix stuff and aluminum tape - works quite well, and has held up surprisingly well to underhood temperatures.
Also - used it to make a "burrito roll" insulator for my hydration back-pack bladder - works too well - a frozen solid bladder of water takes too long to melt and won't give me a drink of liquid for too long.

Why not leave it closed up?
Opening the sunroof and windows when you get in it to drive pulls hot air out of the cabin fast in my experience.
Aussie summers are no less than LA temps, and this is what I did. 5 mins with the sunroof open is long enough to pull the heat out of the cab and give the AC time to have an effect

Why not leave it closed up?
Opening the sunroof and windows when you get in it to drive pulls hot air out of the cabin fast in my experience.
Aussie summers are no less than LA temps, and this is what I did. 5 mins with the sunroof open is long enough to pull the heat out of the cab and give the AC time to have an effect
Have you ever left a high-low thermometer inside the truck? When I bought it five years back, it had one split in the dash; it now has three, with branches. The leather's getting worse. I have to wonder if the fire extinguisher will explode. I can't leave anything inside that heat will damage or destroy: no snacks, no bottled water, zippo. Oh, and my a/c doesn't work. (It's on the list.) :)

Have you ever left a high-low thermometer inside the truck? When I bought it five years back, it had one split in the dash; it now has three, with branches. The leather's getting worse. I have to wonder if the fire extinguisher will explode. I can't leave anything inside that heat will damage or destroy: no snacks, no bottled water, zippo. Oh, and my a/c doesn't work. (It's on the list.) :)
Are your windows tinted? and do you use a sunshield in the front window when you park?

Are your windows tinted? and do you use a sunshield in the front window when you park?
Yes factory tint. Sunshield no. Windshield in shade pretty much all day now. Rest of truck varies by time of day. Blacktop driveway doesn't help matters.

Last edited:
Yes factory tint. Sunshield no. Windshield in shade pretty much all day now. Rest of truck varies by time of day. Blacktop driveway doesn't help matters.
Not sure what your tinting laws are but if you can't go any darker then you could probably add something like a 70% ceramic onto all of the windows. It shouldn't make things any darker but will help block more heat.

I've never put a thermometer in there.

At the height of summer, bottled water will get hot enough to scald you if left in a closed up car in the sun.
I regularly find 1/2 bottles of water blown up like a puffer fish, and ready to pop.
Hot enough to brew tea or coffee.

I've never had a dash crack. Lots of people say products like armour all cause cracking.

Never treated dash; can't speak to PO but judging from other things, I don't think he would have spent the money. Funny about the bottles. Also, when those plastics heat up, they leach toxins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom