Dual Battery Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would like to find a cheaper version of this:

RIGrunner 4008H Horizontal | Powerwerx

Or some easy way to simply plug in Anderson PowerPoles vs have lines hanging down from my board from the breaker box.

20170421_171600.jpg

I have a feeling the board will go through many changes in the months ahead :)

I am currently looking at putting my 6 AWG, from up front, back behind the bed cover or in the wall of the truck bed.

i was looking around the powerwerx website the other day and they have some power pole distribution blocks. I'm not 100% sold on them and i haven't had one in hand to see the quality and how it works, but it looked very interesting.

I've played with the Powerwerx stuff at RARSFest a few times. Looks good but it wasn't cheap.

I use those small Powerpoles all over the place but I went cheap and made my own distribution block.

i was looking around the powerwerx website the other day and they have some power pole distribution blocks. I'm not 100% sold on them and i haven't had one in hand to see the quality and how it works, but it looked very interesting.

They stick out so far. These?

8 Position Power Distribution Block for 15/30/45A Powerpole Connectors | Powerwerx

I've played with the Powerwerx stuff at RARSFest a few times. Looks good but it wasn't cheap.

I use those small Powerpoles all over the place but I went cheap and made my own distribution block.

Sounds cool, Sean - - pics? :)

I think you could use a distribution block, however the issue would be the fusing. You would have to put a fuse before the block and then individual line fuse for each device to achieve the same effect.

I'm also thinking of hooking a roof rack solar panel up through my rigrunner so may end up with both. Solar & House battery to distribution block, then block to rigrunner.

I think you could use a distribution block, however the issue would be the fusing. You would have to put a fuse before the block and then individual line fuse for each device to achieve the same effect.

I'm also thinking of hooking a roof rack solar panel up through my rigrunner so may end up with both. Solar & House battery to distribution block, then block to rigrunner.

Yea I have the 6 larger breakers that are my "block" where my main power comes in and main items come out. I hope to keep these in the 10-40 Amp range.

I would like to take one of those slots out to the smaller block with smaller fuses for *you guessed it" smaller stuff like lights, etc.

My Solar controller will go straight into the breaker.

I added an On/Off switch for the rear power under the hood. Got nervous about the always on hot wire all the way back there.

20170520_165122.jpg

Now you've made me nervous about mine...

I blew my 75A terminal fuse letting the ends touch back in the back on accident. I am always taking the board in/out and changing things back there, so not the same as an 60/80/100 where you have a place to put everything and probably set up and done. Given I use the truck for hauling stuff, too, thought it would be good.

I updated the 6 AWG line, yesterday - taking it back inside the bed and over the wheel well. I have waterproof Anderson SB50 disconnects in front of the wheel well and behind. I then have a pair of lines coming down from the inside of the bed at the back passenger side - -drilled two holes. Pics to follow.

Updated the board a bit today - drilled holes in board - will take lines through the back and insulate and tape them down and bring them back out to the front where needed.

Master Plan:

Breaker - 6 Slots:

1. ARB Fridge Direct Line
2. Rigrunner Output
3. Aux Battery 1
4. Aug Battery 2
5. Solar Input
5. TBD

Rigrunner (40A):
1. TBD
2. TBD
3. Lighting
4. APP to APP
5. APP to APP
6. APP to SAE
7. APP to SAE: Multi USB output (charging)
8. APP to DC Cigerette Lighter Extension Cord

Board update in progress pic:

Went ahead and got the rigrunner. Ran 10 AWG from the breaker over to the input for the Rigrunner

Moved the SB50 Anderson PowerPole over to the right to accept the new location of the line from the house battery.

Used @NC LX 's 100A on/off switch (Thank-you, Austin!) in between my breakers and the inbound from the line from the battery.

20170521_183149.jpg

Instead of blowing my $15+ each, expensive, terminal Blue Sea fuse - - and since I have two fuses in line, on accident - - I am going to put a 60A fuse in my ANL fuse on my firewall (closest to my truck bed) and go with an 80A fuse at the terminal of the house battery.

20170506_123245.jpg
20170520_165122.jpg

you know, looking at your pics the one thing i did not do was to fuse my ACR. I wired it directly to the negative and didn't fuse it.

Much cheaper source for the terminal fuses (and holders):

Marine Rated Battery Fuses

These guys ship fast and have LOTS of useful electrical stuff.

you know, looking at your pics the one thing i did not do was to fuse my ACR. I wired it directly to the negative and didn't fuse it.

Yea Andrew caught it a few pages back :) Keen eye has he.

It was graduation weekend and had lots of family in, but did manage to get the negative/ground wire run from the previous frame-ground in the back up to tie into the "system" ground on the firewall that the battery negatives tie-in to. Hoping this literally closes the loop on everything :)

I kept blowing fuses on my small CPAP battery in the back while on the Hurricane Creek trip, so hopefully this helps. I may redo my battery box, too, with 10 AWG wire and Anderson PP vs the SAE connections I have now.

Other stuff to do AFTER I get new spark plugs installed this week for the Tundra:

1. Will be working on a new pig tail plug from the breaker for stuff that needs a rugged extension.
2. Need some more USB plugs, Relay indicator light, voltage indicator gauges and other items in the cab.

Amazon is your friend. they have two port outlets, one with a 12v cla, and one with 2 2.1 amp usb's. 7.99 a pop, with wiring pigtails.

Have ya seen these? Pretty Sexy stuff. You can also swap out the 12V outlet for a second USB if you like

Blue Sea 4353

4353.jpg

4353_back.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom