Dual battery setup - now amp and leds wont work unless engine running (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was having a draw and batteries were losing charge. I added the smart battery isolator, rewired the system as attached pic shows. Now, the amp, led lights won't work unless the engine is running. They don't work in the "on" or "accessory" position. I noticed the power from the starter battery was going to the Fuse relay center, should that go to the other battery? Or what else could this amateur be doing wrong?

suburban electric jpg.jpg

There’s a switch under the dash leading to the accessory battery.
How are the switches powered (if they are)? Are there relays involved?

Also, those battery terminals are INTENSE! Careful setting wrenches down, eh?

How are the switches powered (if they are)? Are there relays involved?

Also, those battery terminals are INTENSE! Careful setting wrenches down, eh?
Lol yes there’s a lot of wires. The switches are using old Dick Cepek relays. All of these accessories were installed when I bought it.

I am also following the subject with your permission. I have a similar problem. Maybe I can find help for myself. Thank you.

Might be worth running a jumper wire to the relay power input to bypass whatever wiring is currently in there to test their function.

I have see other diagrams too and noticed mine has the power going to the fuse box on the right side. Not sure if this can be moved or is necessary. Need a pro here.
What kind of vehicle? And what kind of fuse box is that? OEM?

Might be worth running a jumper wire to the relay power input to bypass whatever wiring is currently in there to test their function.
The only change I made was adding the isolator and moving the accessories from the starting battery to the second battery. Then that’s when the issue started.

The only change I made was adding the isolator and moving the accessories from the starting battery to the second battery. Then that’s when the issue started.
Maybe you dropped a wire? Move them back to see if they work again. Step one of electrical troubleshooting is: if you change something and it stops working, delete the change to see if it works again.

Maybe you dropped a wire? Move them back to see if they work again. Step one of electrical troubleshooting is: if you change something and it stops working, delete the change to see if it works again.
You’re right I could reverse it. I just thought I’d post here first hoping someone would know why the engine has to be running to have the accessories work.

You’re right I could reverse it. I just thought I’d post here first hoping someone would know why the engine has to be running to have the accessories work.
Close to impossible to know from info provided and no physical access, sorry to be bearer of bad news

Is the battery isolator grounded? If will not work without a reference ground.

...or I guess the problem you are having is that the lights and etc aren't getting power from the second battery or do you not have a second battery and the wire from the isolator goes straight to a distribution block?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom