Driving Lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
gallery.oldholden.com

The stock high beam headlights must be to dull....

Dave

Wow... I guess the humongous bull bar is for protecting the front end from all the blinded animals in the road. :D

how many total watts? 2 batteries? standard alternator?

you have more money in lights up front than my pig is worth!

Its not mine, (though id like to have it - minus some lights) found it on a local classifieds site.. $8500 AUS
The tar on the road would be melting in front of him.
Maybe he is scared of the dark?

There's at least a couple-hundred watts of driving lights, and it looks to me that the outers are fog lights. So probably somewhere in the area of 300 watts or so, give or take.

Those lamps need about 25 amps, so you figure that a 65 amp alternator or better would probably drive these and still leave room for everything else on the electrical system.

In my case I sourced a 120 amp alternator from the junkyard so I could run as much electrical goodies as I want and not have to worry about taxing the system. Plus it'll double as a welder.

Thats a lot of lights.

On a different note if you want more lighting force without all the extra lights and want to retain a stock look. Go with some sylvania siverstars. A big difference.

Maybe the lights are there so you won't notice the aftermarked rubber fender flares! I am installing simiar on my parts / trail pig, but this one is much nicer looking. Anyone tried the Roundeye replacement lights?

Ginzu
76 FJ55 X 2
Razorback Landcruisers
Russellville, Arkansas

Maybe the lights are there so you won't notice the aftermarked rubber fender flares! I am installing simiar on my parts / trail pig, but this one is much nicer looking. Anyone tried the Roundeye replacement lights?

Ginzu
76 FJ55 X 2
Razorback Landcruisers
Russellville, Arkansas
Howdy! Don't be knockin them flares. I put on a set from JC Whitney about 20 years ago, and they are still hanin in there. I used the HD model with the wire in the outer lip. They blend right in with the AL running boards I have!! That was many years before they invented "sliders". I Think they used to call em Nerf Bars for racing. John

not to hijack a Hella 4000 light thread but this discussion on fender flares is interesting to me.

In our area, wider is much better, but tires sticking out of the fender wells looks a little funny and rock chips galore.

besides the above flexy flares...has anyone ever found any other flares that actually fit and look decent?

I see $OR has some for a FJ60...anybody ever tried to make these fit?

I noticed a Tacoma with some factory flares that looked like they might fit with some trimming but of course what seems to fit and what actually does is 2 entirely different matters.

not to hijack a Hella 4000 light thread but this discussion on fender flares is interesting to me.

In our area, wider is much better, but tires sticking out of the fender wells looks a little funny and rock chips galore.

besides the above flexy flares...has anyone ever found any other flares that actually fit and look decent?

I see $OR has some for a FJ60...anybody ever tried to make these fit?

I noticed a Tacoma with some factory flares that looked like they might fit with some trimming but of course what seems to fit and what actually does is 2 entirely different matters.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like they have some neat aftermarket stuff here for piggies that we don't. If anyone has any leads on those flares let me know!

back to the hellas...what if he has 130watt bulbs in each, like mine:) ,
then how many amps,,,,, 130/12....11 amps?? times 4 = 44
plus the 2 fogs or hella 4000compacts at 55amps/12 = 4

48 approximate amps on the bumper if using big bulbs

so the alternator is even keeping up with big bulbs?

does this sound right?

I got a set of those flares...I might , could , maybe ,probably, be talked into letting them go if someone really needed them....oh I don't know. I think they are in the barn. I'll have to check

back to the hellas...what if he has 130watt bulbs in each, like mine:) ,
then how many amps,,,,, 130/12....11 amps?? times 4 = 44
plus the 2 fogs or hella 4000compacts at 55amps/12 = 4

48 approximate amps on the bumper if using big bulbs

so the alternator is even keeping up with big bulbs?

does this sound right?

Yep, you got it as far as the formula goes: amps = watts / volts
Also, there's the other two inversions of the formula: watts = amps x volts, volts = watts / amps.

I picked these up when I got into car audio oh so many years ago... makes it easier to spot false advertising, as well as helping you determine the added load on the electrical system.

I always found it hilarious when I'd see amplifiers claimed to put out like 1200 watts, and would have two 15A fuses in them... the math just doesn't add up.

I used 55w Hella lights in my calculation... but you accounted for the extra wattage in the more powerful lights (I just did a quick search and used the wattage I found first). You'd definitely need a higher amp alternator than stock for running that much accessory lighting, no matter how you slice it. :)

thanks for the formulas , I have copied them down. haven't seen those since physics in freshman college, long time ago.

do you remember the resistance formula??

V=IR ???

isn't that how a coil creates high voltage, neat that we're thinking of this my old professor would be very proud.:)

Well I've only got 2 driving lights on the front of mine, they're Light Force 240 XGT's Bloody awesome light output and they'd want to be for $500AUD for 2

But even with 2 my alternator struggles to keep up

Well, I gues you need that many lights when you drive on the wrong side of the road;p ;p :lol: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom