Drive Train Vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

take the load off the diff, i.e. put a block behind the wheel, e brake off and in neutral, this will quarrenttee no friction to hold everything tight.
now crawl under and push the companion flange up and down, there should be NO movement, now turn the driveshaft by hand, you should only be able to move the driveshaft about 1/32 to 1/16th of a turn before it stops.
done

Exactly what Wayne said. I didn't want to scare you, it's just that you mentioned that the rear ujoint close to the diff was loose, and just thought you should double check to make sure it was the u joint and not the pinion.
Cheers,
Deny

This is what I would suspect
#1 worn splines on front driveshaft
But would hope it is this:
#2 bad universal joint(s) on front driveshaft

I would get under there and wiggle it around, then take off the front driveshaft. See if there is play in the splines and work the u-joints to see how they feel, should be smooth and tight. Also grab your transfer output and pinion flanges to check out the play there.

The front driveshaft splines wear because it sits in one position too long when the shaft is not engaged.

Update

Hey Guys
Got a set of U-joints from my local Dealership. $40.43 each with the discount from my local club. Popped them in last weekend. Big improvement. Now when in 4 wheel the dash doesn't shake like its going to fall apart. :) I still think I feel a slight vibration not anything like before but its like I can tell when its in 4 wheel and when its not. Of course I am the kind of guy that won't turn on the radio for like a week after I do something to the truck so I might be a bit paranoid. When I had the drive shaft off I noticed a slight wiggle on the flange mated to the T'case. The splines in the slip joint look good with no signs of wear that I noticed. It does seem to flex a bit though.

Thanks for all your help!!
-Noah
:cheers:

yep some new universals and a nuckel job and you will be set, mine isn't vibrating but it doesn't feel solid either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom