Drawers: Feedback requested on noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think its more like 50% more for the comparable TB versus ARB - but whatever.

Engineering - yeah I do think that ARB botched the engineering on the drawer stops. They break under normal use. The OP (and others) may be unaware of that issue.

You've removed your stops so you can pull the drawer beyond the roller track for a full extension work around - neat. But that's not engineered/designed to do that and its not super safe if you have heavy items, truck is inclined etc. I get it. You can rest the drawer on the tailgate. The lack of full extension function is something that is bothersome to me and I was unaware when I bought the ARB drawers how much that would matter... again others may not have considered it.

Every chance I get? Hahaha - Im pretty sure I have thousands of posts that have nothing to do with drawers in SUVs.

[EDIT] Full disclosure for others... I know the owner of Trekboxx very well and have BOUGHT two systems from his company. Because they are superior in the ways I mentioned and more. I get no recompense, discount or spiff by discussing them. If I find something better I would buy it. [/EDIT]

Ya... It just gets old.
As you said...you and I have had this conversation multiple times...so I think it’s fair to say that we don’t need to keep having the same conversation over...and over...
:meh:

Ya... It just gets old.
As you said...you and I have had this conversation multiple times...so I think it’s fair to say that we don’t need to keep having the same conversation over...and over...
:meh:

Indeed and I'm not trying to stir anything. I believe we are both attempting to provide insights to our community.

I think it's funny how some people talk about the ARB drawer stoppers breaking all the time. I've had ARB drawers in my 100, my grey 200, my red 200, and likely going to have a set in my current truck. I have never broken a stopper, and my drawers have always been loaded up with stuff with a fridge on top. All 3 sets have been quiet, relatively easy to install (the first set is a PITA - just throw away the instructions unless they've been updated since 2014 which is unlikely), and look fantastic. I think the stopper issue is a red herring personally, but if someone is truly interested, just do your own research and don't take any one person's opinion as fact.

IMO the ARB drawers actually look more OE than any other option on the market, and I've seen a couple sets of Trekboxx in person. The Trekboxx is nice, but I personally do not like the finish on it because it's simply Line-X bedliner. Some people love it because it's easy to keep clean, but I'm not making dinner in the back of the 200. Try putting a dog on top of bedliner finish - no one is having a good time with that. Also the Trekboxx base bravo system does not have a roll top option I can see, so keep in mind that means you'll have to buy a fridge slide which is quite expensive or step up to the alpha system which is way more expensive. The ARB modular units give you the option to do a single roller top, dual roller top, dual fixed top, etc. for significantly less while looking more OE. The bravo system with wing kit is $3,170 plus tax and shipping (which I understand can be quite expensive and there is a decent lead time), and the ARB dual fixed top plus wing setup is $1,761 plus tax (but shipping can be free depending where you order). For $155 more, you can get a single roller top ARB saving quite a bit over paying for a fridge slide. So I would say the bravo system is about double the cost for a product you may or may not find to be aesthetically as pleasing.

@jerbintennissee as you can probably tell, this is a topic people feel pretty strongly about and has been beat up pretty good on this forum if you search. This is a good comprehensive thread on it (Trekboxx Drawer System for 200 series). I suggest to determine your budget, analyze the options with real world feedback, and consider the source of people's opinions as you weigh the options. If someone has a $5k drawer system in the back of their truck, they're going to be more likely to say it's the greatest thing in the world and everything else is inferior. If someone has a sub $2k drawer system, they're going to say you'd be crazy for spending more. Look for the facts not the hyperbole and spend what you feel comfortable with not what you think other people think is the best. Not saying this is relevant here, but also be cautious when people are sponsored or get free or discounted gear to push a certain product and consider their opinion may be biased.

Of course any post like is worthless without pics so...

ARB system one roller top one fixed top plus wing kit - current price $1,916 (though it used to be a couple hundred dollars cheaper):

ACtC-3eRoOoGfBNpTeqjCh7OELDg6vP-CAOdqb3eJjdnNaU6YrTAsJll-BfEdli_EkboEmb5pXTF_CkB0RCxr_2ejTyVChdGgjdjgXz46MYebLtt1VG8ExnYFzE1ThvmRAzBMc8IEvXGXvBnBNdZ56gi6LpMSg=w1406-h937-no

Comparable Trekboxx bravo system with wing kit - current price $3,170 (before shipping which requires getting a quote from the website):

img_0798-jpg.1927912

Indeed and I'm not trying to stir anything. I believe we are both attempting to provide insights to our community.

If you want to “provide insight”?
—leave out the parts where you imply those who don’t spend 3-4k on drawers perhaps don’t “value engineering”—which turns things subtly, but immediately personal. You have a habit of throwing subtle barbs, and it gets tiresome & predictable.

Last edited:
I built my own and went with the UHMW, but I used aluminum tracks which really makes for a nice setup. No noise and the drawers are tight as a drum. I have not had great experiences with glides of the size that you need to support drawers. They really require some TLC or be prepared to replace them sooner than you would like.

The only downside that I have experienced so far is that there are no stays, so if you are on a steep incline, the drawers can tend to want to slide. For me it's no biggie because I only keep camping gear in there. Anything that I might need is kept in the spaces on the sides for easy access.

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1307.jpeg

Honestly though, I've seen all of the major drawer systems and they all are pretty damn nice. Anything is liable to develop some rattles over time (and rough roads). It's the nature of the beast.

I built my own and went with the UHMW, but I used aluminum tracks which really makes for a nice setup. No noise and the drawers are tight as a drum. I have not had great experiences with glides of the size that you need to support drawers. They really require some TLC or be prepared to replace them sooner than you would like.

The only downside that I have experienced so far is that there are no stays, so if you are on a steep incline, the drawers can tend to want to slide. For me it's no biggie because I only keep camping gear in there. Anything that I might need is kept in the spaces on the sides for easy access.

View attachment 2364387

View attachment 2364399

Honestly though, I've seen all of the major drawer systems and they all are pretty damn nice. Anything is liable to develop some rattles over time (and rough roads). It's the nature of the beast.

What I love about your homemade solution is that there is literally zero wasted space. Drawer systems with runners, etc zap a lot of volume potential with the hardware. Those basic wooden drawers really utilize the space without waste. 👍🏼

I can't object to much of what you are saying. I have 4 invoices from ARB for replacement drawer stops over the years. No Charge but an annoyance. You obviously had better luck. Doesn't mitigate that the materials used (plastic) are weak. And you are quite right the ARB instructions are useless.

I'd disagree on the ARB OE look... never been a fan of the marine "trunk" carpet but that's individual. I dont think any of them look OE, even the TB.

There are certainly some nuances left on the table but I dont feel the need to point them out - one ironic twist is that I literally messaged TB today to ask when the dog mat was going on the website. TB has one for the Alpha I've seen - pretty dope. Probably a $1000. :p

Ahh the price - I think you laid that out very well. One aspect that drives that price is craftsmanship. It's expensive and TB makes no excuse around that. The TB systems can be very bespoke to customer needs, just ask Cole Dudley. Another aspect is the component cost. Those monster Accuride slides and Richlite work surface are pretty damn pricey. We all have budgets to consider. I do see some irony in budget discussions - an owner might drop a quick $4k on some performance shocks then balks at the idea of expensive drawers or insert insane accessory [here]. Somewhat akin to refrigerator purchases trying to justify the savings in ice cost. To some ARB drawers are insanely expensive and can strap Target brand totes in the back.

I think your ending advice is good (not that you need/want my validation). I wish when I started down this road 10 years ago there were more choices in this realm as I could have saved $$$ by going directly to the thing that really met my needs and personal quality gauge. ARB (or whatever the previous brand was) and DIY were about the only choices. I owned the full deal ARB and used them for a few years.

I personally dont equate the price or money I spent to an opinion. If its sh*t or doesn't do what it's supposed to do, no matter what my financial or time investment is i'm going to say so. I dont think the ARB fall into into that category - they are built the way they are and meet an acceptable price point to their customers. I wanted something with more features, capability, integration and customization blah blah and I replaced the ARB - I paid full freight for my Trekboxx and bought a second one for my 200.

I think it's funny how some people talk about the ARB drawer stoppers breaking all the time. I've had ARB drawers in my 100, my grey 200, my red 200, and likely going to have a set in my current truck. I have never broken a stopper, and my drawers have always been loaded up with stuff with a fridge on top. All 3 sets have been quiet, relatively easy to install (the first set is a PITA - just throw away the instructions unless they've been updated since 2014 which is unlikely), and look fantastic. I think the stopper issue is a red herring personally, but if someone is truly interested, just do your own research and don't take any one person's opinion as fact.

IMO the ARB drawers actually look more OE than any other option on the market, and I've seen a couple sets of Trekboxx in person. The Trekboxx is nice, but I personally do not like the finish on it because it's simply Line-X bedliner. Some people love it because it's easy to keep clean, but I'm not making dinner in the back of the 200. Try putting a dog on top of bedliner finish - no one is having a good time with that. Also the Trekboxx base bravo system does not have a roll top option I can see, so keep in mind that means you'll have to buy a fridge slide which is quite expensive or step up to the alpha system which is way more expensive. The ARB modular units give you the option to do a single roller top, dual roller top, dual fixed top, etc. for significantly less while looking more OE. The bravo system with wing kit is $3,170 plus tax and shipping (which I understand can be quite expensive and there is a decent lead time), and the ARB dual fixed top plus wing setup is $1,761 plus tax (but shipping can be free depending where you order). For $155 more, you can get a single roller top ARB saving quite a bit over paying for a fridge slide. So I would say the bravo system is about double the cost for a product you may or may not find to be aesthetically as pleasing.

@jerbintennissee as you can probably tell, this is a topic people feel pretty strongly about and has been beat up pretty good on this forum if you search. This is a good comprehensive thread on it (Trekboxx Drawer System for 200 series). I suggest to determine your budget, analyze the options with real world feedback, and consider the source of people's opinions as you weigh the options. If someone has a $5k drawer system in the back of their truck, they're going to be more likely to say it's the greatest thing in the world and everything else is inferior. If someone has a sub $2k drawer system, they're going to say you'd be crazy for spending more. Look for the facts not the hyperbole and spend what you feel comfortable with not what you think other people think is the best. Not saying this is relevant here, but also be cautious when people are sponsored or get free or discounted gear to push a certain product and consider their opinion may be biased.

Last edited:
I have a Heritage Edition on order with Eric and plan to do drawers of some type. I am curious why there doesn't seem to be any mention of Goose Gear. In searching the 200 forum, I can only come up with a couple of hits. Any thoughts or feedback?

I have a Heritage Edition on order with Eric and plan to do drawers of some type. I am curious why there doesn't seem to be any mention of Goose Gear. In searching the 200 forum, I can only come up with a couple of hits. Any thoughts or feedback?

We all agree GooseGear is Sh*t !

Totally Kidding

I’ve never personally seen Goose Gear drawers in a 200... Not sure why that is...

I’ve never personally seen Goose Gear drawers in a 200... Not sure why that is...

I actually totally forgot Goose Gear made stuff for the 200. I had a pretty comprehensive setup of theirs in a Tacoma, and I liked it. It was extremely expensive however, but I bought the truck already outfitted with it. After seeing the invoice for the Goose Gear and Habitat, I was pretty shocked with the total cost. The 200 stuff seems like it would cost as much as the Trekboxx, and I would rather have the Trekboxx personally at that price point. Here is the 200 stuff Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series / LX 570 2008-Present

Not a 200, but you get the idea of what it looks like installed:

ACtC-3eDRVovN3wXhWI1U7o0FnOLIs_GToUyALD1ILd2hfwVUI_wtv9mS0qWOvkjxS0oHRG2nw7gTkQZajqcLJvraDU3yDgzrFyXvXaGHSfwLQapJl6Eo4Ve5WOhPz5MElinIiDyF5up7SiMeB5yWhQBViiOYA=w1406-h937-no

ACtC-3dunUNOoBggD7ElPvP2O6h_jqhaJ0NA0JOSAmXT7BzWzPusTtSWuDQDCZEm__b4cV-8wIfK6ul08GKkmstTF9PLn0jMjIhZAG9vGho6zAY_MDZM4MqAQFX-kZ85_FKerQNI6Y_zprOWBiLPOJ4cSHhQPg=w1406-h937-no

I had looked at the Goose Gear stuff at Overland Expo the last couple of years. Definitely seemed nice quality. I do have a feeling that their solution is lighter weight, so for some that could be a consideration.

Too many options and decisions...lol

add frontrunner to the mix. I just installed this drawer system on my 200. I hear no noise as mention. The frontrunner system is the accessories compatible. If you have front runner Wolfpack/cub pack box, it will be compatible with this drawer set.

3AF8F8D6-FEB3-4387-AE1D-DA7687AF0711.jpeg

Equipt outfitters has a super nice 200 with goose gear. YouTube has a great video on it. I think expeditionoverland did as well.

I had arb drawers in my 4runner and broke about 4 drawer stops. Crappy design, but not the end of the world. I did like the short drawer fronts to saave slamming your fingers. I also disliked the roller top for the fridge, you basically had to have the whole roll top vacant except for the fridge for it to be practical. All in all they were a quality product.

for my land cruiser, I went the land shark outfitters KISS drawers for space maximization.

I have ARB drawers, absolutely no regrets, one of the best additions to my truck. I'm in them at least 2-3 times a day, sometimes more. But, 3 of the 4 drawer stops are now broken, and I'm pretty careful not to slam them open or closed. Not gonna bother replacing them, it's just no big deal to me. I have mine packed so it doesn't matter that they don't fully extend.

TrekBox and others were just way out of my budget.

@DesmoPilot It seems to me that if one can afford a new Heritage from Eric, they can probably afford to swing a set of top end boxes. If I was in that boat, I'd get a full blown Trexboxx solution. Then again, who knows, maybe you saved all your life and spent almost every last penny on that Heritage and don't have a lot left over. If so, the Landshark Reef system is a nice option one step up from building from scratch that you can customize as you see fit. I went with Reef for price point, my spending priorities were on other things.

More than happy with my Dobinsons drawer system. The black looks great with my black interior. Only downside is they aren't modular like the ARB and some others. But the Dobinsons setup was exactly what I wanted so it didn't matter. Also considerably cheaper than other systems out there.
Dobinsons 200 Drawers

@DesmoPilot It seems to me that if one can afford a new Heritage from Eric, they can probably afford to swing a set of top end boxes. If I was in that boat, I'd get a full blown Trexboxx solution. Then again, who knows, maybe you saved all your life and spent almost every last penny on that Heritage and don't have a lot left over. If so, the Landshark Reef system is a nice option one step up from building from scratch that you can customize as you see fit. I went with Reef for price point, my spending priorities were on other things.

What is that supposed to mean?

@sdnative I meant that everyone's personal finances will dictate what they can or are willing to spend on a drawer system. If a person can afford a new $80-90K (or more - Eric has some builds that go $150K USD) rig, then I suspect they can also afford a high end set of storage drawers. If not, there are lots of lower cost options.

Looks like goose gear is 2300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom