Drawers: Feedback requested on noise (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, first post here and soliciting some feedback. I recently bought my first LC (‘20 from Eric in Indy) and he did a ton of cool things to it before I picked it up. I never seriously considered drawers due to the fact I have three kids and thought I’d use the third row. All three fit easily in the second row so now I’ll remove the seats and install some drawers to replace the bins I currently use for all my day-to-day cargo.

One of my main concerns is the squeaks and rattles. I want something dead silent even if it requires chasing down some noises, and tweaks occasionally.

I’m most interested in TrekBoxx, ARB and Drifta. TrekBoxx look the most functional, ARB look the most factory and Drifta appeal to me as their slides are so darn simple and they are customizable.

My searches thus far intimate all drawers make noise, but I’d like to know from various owners of the above which seem to be the quietest and least prone to rattles.

I have no plans for a 4 month off-the-grid excursion, but simply a clean, organized place to store stuff out of sight. Thanks!

I have not owned any of these three options, but have had 4-5 custom built setups across various vehicles, and have not had any rattles or other noises. I have played with ARB drawers at one shop and came away with the impression they were well built and designed. I would not expect to hear any noises from any of the three options you've listed.

I have no plans for a 4 month off-the-grid excursion, but simply a clean, organized place to store stuff out of sight. Thanks!

Based on these requirements, I'd go with ARB (or Dobinsons). TrekBoxx will be overkill and much more expensive than the other two. Drifta doesn't use drawer slides, and while that has upsides, (I did my custom drawers using the same materials Drifta uses) mechanical slides really do result in a nicer user experience.

@eatSleepWoof awesome feedback - thank you.

Love to hear more about the Teflon slides vs traditional metal slides. Checked your build thread and saw how you had to build to close tolerances to prevent the extended drawer from resting on the tailgate. Is that what you were referencing or something else?

The Drifta setup initially appealed the most to me due to their slides and increased interior space. I’ve never seen any of these products in real life. I have chatted with David at TB and his stuff is clearly best in class but I agree, I might not need it for my anticipated use case.

I built my own drawer system and have not noticed any noise at all. I did line them with rubberized material and they are strapped down.
mEDYozP0QuWNDpHa1w6FTg.jpg

Last edited:
@eatSleepWoof awesome feedback - thank you.

Love to hear more about the Teflon slides vs traditional metal slides. Checked your build thread and saw how you had to build to close tolerances to prevent the extended drawer from resting on the tailgate. Is that what you were referencing or something else?

The Drifta setup initially appealed the most to me due to their slides and increased interior space. I’ve never seen any of these products in real life. I have chatted with David at TB and his stuff is clearly best in class but I agree, I might not need it for my anticipated use case.

Teflon strips do allow the drawers to slide smoothly and easily, but not nearly as smoothly and easily as on bearing slides. I really, really prefer bearing slides. They just feel right. That said, be aware that drawer-bearings can get packed with dirt and fail, or can freeze and become impossible to move. Definitely an issue in trucks, (no insulation and frequently not waterproof) but likely not an issue in SUVs. None the less, something to keep in mind. Drawers like ARB don't use drawer slides, rather they have larger bearings front/back, and the drawer slides on those. Less hardware, less weight, less cost, and works just as well.

To me, what appeals most about ARB drawers is their clean, finished look. They thought through the details of nice handles, nice latches, smooth operation, and clean, complete look. I appreciate that. And, of course, not tipping down when extended; that's a big plus, too.

Also, if you're seriously considering Drifta, talk to Matt at Kakadu Camping. He imports those from Australia, and is a great, knowledgeable guy,.

I have a set of ARB drawers in my 200. No noises that I can detect. I previously had the same set of drawers in my 100 (literally the same ones, I transferred them when I sold the 100) and there was a squeak in one of the side panels. The side panels are obviously different between the 100 and 200, and the holes used to mount the drawers to the truck are slightly different between the 100 and 200. But my point is anytime two things are in contact you have the potential for noise. Just a matter of chasing it down and eliminating it. But overall I am impressed with how quiet the ARB drawers are. They are a bit heavy though.

I haven't had any noise from either home built or reef, but if you can swing a new rig from Eric, you can probably go Cadillac like the trekboxx.

Been using/abusing ARB drawers since before the company was bought by ARB (since about 2005 in my 100 Series & another set in my 200). Never a single sound from them. Ever. Contents in any compartment, box or container must be packed to avoid their own noise, butThe ARB drawers themselves have been 100% silent...and I’m VERY OCD attuned to rattles.

Last edited:
My ARB drawers have never squeaked or rattled. Only the stuff inside, and that's on me to fix, which I do ASAP.

I built my own drawer system and have not noticed any noise at all. I did line them with rubberized material and they are strapped down.View attachment 2337130
A fellow fly fisher! You are in a great area for that. I am drawer planning and saw this picture. The handy bottle opener is a nice touch!

I've built drawers, I've had and sold ARB drawers. I currently (last 5 years) use a TrekBoxX Alpha system.

I found the ARB drawers to be mostly silent. If that's your goal you'll be fine. There are other issues like plastic lock out tabs constantly breaking (drawers slide back in). ARB will send you as many replacements as you want - they know it's a problem. The drawer bottoms "oil canning". Most annoyingly they are not full extension. You'll think that's okay when you order them, but its super annoying.

I've built drawers, I've had and sold ARB drawers. I currently (last 5 years) use a TrekBoxX Alpha system.

I found the ARB drawers to be mostly silent. If that's your goal you'll be fine. There are other issues like plastic lock out tabs constantly breaking (drawers slide back in). ARB will send you as many replacements as you want - they know it's a problem. The drawer bottoms "oil canning". Most annoyingly they are not full extension. You'll think that's okay when you order them, but its super annoying.

I decided to just not put the hold-open pieces back into my ARB drawers...because it allows the to fully extend. If I need to get to the very back, I pull them out until they rest fully open on the edge of the tailgate. Sounds odd, but very helpful. Then just a slight lift, and in they go.

I decided to just not put the hold-open pieces back into my ARB drawers...because it allows the to fully extend. If I need to get to the very back, I pull them out until they rest fully open on the edge of the tailgate. Sounds odd, but very helpful. Then just a slight lift, and in they go.

That's certainly a work around for extension and works for you. I prefer the safety and convenience of a locking slide. As we have debated before and I think we agree that the ARB drawers do what they do pretty well. They fit a price point. At a higher price point you get a lot more engineering, finish and elegance. Some will value that, some don't.

That's certainly a work around for extension and works for you. I prefer the safety and convenience of a locking slide. As we have debated before and I think we agree that the ARB drawers do what they do pretty well. They fit a price point. At a higher price point you get a lot more engineering, finish and elegance. Some will value that, some don't.

I think your pals drawers are great, and if someone can spend double the cash without blinking...have at it. A great product to be sure.

But not sure what my mention of one alternative for easier rear access on ARB drawers has to do with whether one generally values engineering or not... But meh—keep banging that same, tired, drum every chance you get, mate.

Last edited:
I think your pals drawers are great, and if someone can spend double the cash without blinking...have at it. A great product to be sure.

But not sure what my mention of one alternative for easier rear access on ARB drawers has to do with whether one generally values engineering or not... But meh—keep banging that same, tired, drum every chance you get, mate.

I think its more like 50% more for the comparable TB versus ARB - but whatever.

Engineering - yeah I do think that ARB botched the engineering on the drawer stops. They break under normal use. The OP (and others) may be unaware of that issue.

You've removed your stops so you can pull the drawer beyond the roller track for a full extension work around - neat. But that's not engineered/designed to do that and its not super safe if you have heavy items, truck is inclined etc. I get it. You can rest the drawer on the tailgate. The lack of full extension function is something that is bothersome to me and I was unaware when I bought the ARB drawers how much that would matter... again others may not have considered it.

Every chance I get? Hahaha - Im pretty sure I have thousands of posts that have nothing to do with drawers in SUVs.

[EDIT] Full disclosure for others... I know the owner of Trekboxx very well and have BOUGHT two systems from his company. Because they are superior in the ways I mentioned and more. I get no recompense, discount or spiff by discussing them. If I find something better I would buy it. [/EDIT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom