Dozer gets her hair did (somewhat of a build thread) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cranked on external gasktank, but 98% of the wiring is in place and finalized, minus the wrapping.

:beer: R

Effin' awesome man!! What do you put the odds at for having it done by CCLR?

Effin' awesome man!! What do you put the odds at for having it done by CCLR?

Thanks Allen - I think she'll be there, but bunny trails at best. Doubt I'll get a chance to get a skid plate done in time, which also means no place to anchor the traction bar.
Friggen outstanding, well done Ramon...:beer:

Thanks Jerry! Hey, wanted to see if you had any extra of that 2" tubing we used for the main rails on my seat cradle? Need about 1 ft, so hoping you have some scrap left. Also was going to try and hit you up to cut 2 notches if you wouldn't mind... your notching setup is so dope!

EDIT:

I'm stupid and can't find the last page of posts.

Good work Ramon :D

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry! Hey, wanted to see if you had any extra of that 2" tubing we used for the main rails on my seat cradle? Need about 1 ft, so hoping you have some scrap left. Also was going to try and hit you up to cut 2 notches if you wouldn't mind... your notching setup is so dope!

Hmmm, 2"? I've got 2" and 1.5" square, 2"x3" rectangle, 1.75, 1.5, 1.25 round...

Maybe it's 1.75 - I'll measure and see.

ok slacker ... any more updates or are you busy basking on a tropical island??? :D

Nostalgia shot from way before her trip to the parlor. RML right before Kodak
image.jpeg

Might have been hub explosion trip

Lol - taking it back OLD school.

I'll post an update tomorrow when I don't have a 15hr workday, but suffice it to say it won't be much of a report :(

Dude, there are 9 other hours in the day, and sleep is overrated! Or so I have to keep reminding myself this time of year. I feel your pain!

I'm looking for extra stuff to do put me to work :)

s***'s about to get real...

IMG_3658.JPG

Got her on engine stand and starting inspection, and removed the factory harness. This is an 6.0L LQ9 out of a 2005 Escalade. 160k on the engine. Bought it from a guy who is a car dismantler / flipper. This car ran great, but had electrical gremlins due to some chewed wires, per the seller. I saw no evidence of chewing on the engine harness, bud did find evidence of a critter:

IMG_3659.JPG

I'll be running a Holley Terminator X ECU, which should be here tomorrow. The plan is to run it on this engine stand after doing some reinforcing. I got the radiator with the engine so I can run it long enough to heat it up and do compression and leakdown tests. Assuming all is well, I only plan to pull the heads for a quick refresh at the machine shop and run the bottom end as-is. I doubt I'll put 25k on it over the next decade.

I will also be doing a new water pump, timing chain, oil pump, and reseal across the board. Initially I planned to cam it, but after research and really thinking about it I decided that was silly and completely unnecessary. This is a 345HP motor stock, do I really need more in a FJ40???

More to come...

:beer: Ramon

CSI: Oil Filter complete. Zero debris in well used oil. No chia pets on the drain plug. Good signs so far.

IMG_3675.JPG

Found this online that shows how to run the belt, and part number, to eliminate the PS pump. Useful for running on the stand to keep the water pump functional without worrying about trying to loop the PS fluid.

1606274570179.png

Belt part number: 6K755 (76in)

Also, hose to loop the heater lines (temporarily): 87629

Terminator ECU kit should be here tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dont waste your time with opening that motor up at all. Just put it in the 40 and party. I wouldn't bother with running it on a stand either that sounds like a pretty big waste of time
@GLTHFJ60 sent me here to be your LS advisor

Dont waste your time with opening that motor up at all. Just put it in the 40 and party. I wouldn't bother with running it on a stand either that sounds like a pretty big waste of time
@GLTHFJ60 sent me here to be your LS advisor

Two broken manifold bolts (as purchased from PO) will result in me pulling the heads... well, will push me to do what I can't keep myself from doing - refreshing the heads. One is a no-brainer, the other is broken a good 1/4" into the head, so I prefer to have the machine shop handle that. Might skip the run stand, depending on a peak at the cylinders.

I think this thing has never had spark plugs replaced, ugh:

IMG_3676.JPG

At least they aren't oily. But man, what a bitch pulling those wires.

those broken exhaust manifold bolts are actually super easy. I deal with them all the time. Even the ones that are broken off deep. They come out easy, they aren't seized in the head, it's the old bolts that're weak. Just take your mig welder and start building up tacks on it. You wont really hurt the aluminum threads. It doesn't hurt to run a tap through it after though.

As for the oil pump, timing chain stuff like that , those all last the lifetime of the motor, 300-350k

I would highly recommend the Sloppy Mechanics Youtube channel, he has a TON of videos with LS tech info including a lot of Holley tuning advice. If you are leaving the motor stock you won't have much tuning to do if any but still great info.

Last edited:
those broken exhaust manifold bolts are actually super easy. I deal with them all the time. Even the ones that are broken off deep. They come out easy, they aren't seized in the head, it's the old bolts that're weak. Just take your mig welder and start building up tacks on it. You wont really hurt the aluminum threads. It doesn't hurt to run a tap through it after though.

As for the oil pump, timing chain stuff like that , those all last the lifetime of the motor, 300-350k

I would highly recommend the Sloppy Mechanics Youtube channel, he has a TON of videos with LS tech info including a lot of Holley tuning advice. If you are leaving the motor stock you won't have much tuning to do if any but still great info.

Thanks Matt, really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom