Downey 22 Gallon Fuel Cells Becoming Available Again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Downey

SILVER Star
Threads
Finally, after being out of tanks for over a year (while the Rotomolders were enjoying being paid more to stay home than go to work) my molder tells me I will have tanks in about 2 weeks, sooooo if you been waiting/holding off- - - now is the time to show me some interest since all but 3 are already sold.

Finally, after being out of tanks for over a year (while the Rotomolders were enjoying being paid more to stay home than go to work) my molder tells me I will have tanks in about 2 weeks, sooooo if you been waiting/holding off- - - now is the time to show me some interest since all but 3 are already sold.
Hi Jim, were those tanks complete with a sending unit/float and fuel pump? Can you post an installation guide for them? Some pics of them installed may help as well. I have an old Con-Ferr steel tank that I'm not sure about using again as it has no provisions for a sending unit/float.

Drake

1. The fuel cells have an oval aluminum top plate and bolt ring with a 6AN fuel pick-up fitting and tube, a 6AN fuel return fitting, and mounting hole for the factory or Centroid electronic sending unit. The easiest is to order a Centroid electronic sender, customized for the ohms resistance of your stock or aftermarket fuel gauge. If attempting to use a stock Landcruiser sending unit, the swing arm will need to be modified for the deeper tank, and you must orientate the mounting so that float does not travel into one of the tank walls. Best to point float straight rearward, staying on the center line where fuel depth is the most constant (less fluctuation in float movement).
2. We do not include a fuel pump, installer can choose internal or external mounted pump, and a pump with the psi rating they need for their stock or modified engine. We have an optional in-tank fuel pump mounting kit, one kit for people who already have (or bought) our tank that automatically includes the aluminum top plates, and another kit that also includes the aluminum top plate/bolt ring/gasket for guys with a non Downey tank (i.e. your Con-Ferr tank).
3. We did (past tense) have a very righteous aluminum skid plate with three 3" beveled holes along the visible back side, but they kind of died from a lack of interest, we sold about 1 skid plate to 10 tanks sold. Evidently guys were not interested in the skid plate since our thick wall nylon tanks laboratory tested stronger than the steel tanks ???. If enough Mud guys showed some interest, I'd make another batch- - -just saying.

Do you have a link to a store or item description we could check out?

Do you have a link to a store or item description we could check out?
I sell the tanks in my ebay store, they are not presently listed since I have been out of tanks for over a year. Once listed again there will be complete description, and photos showing all the parts included. Basically the tank, mounting strap kit, complete recessed fuel filler neck/cap/hose/clamps, and all of the aluminum top plate fittings/gasket/hardware, tank is totally complete without sending unit or fuel pump (where you have zillions of pump/sender choices). The Downey installation instruction sheets are actually here on Mud under the Downey Off Road link.

I sell the tanks in my ebay store, they are not presently listed since I have been out of tanks for over a year. Once listed again there will be complete description, and photos showing all the parts included. Basically the tank, mounting strap kit, complete recessed fuel filler neck/cap/hose/clamps, and all of the aluminum top plate fittings/gasket/hardware, tank is totally complete without sending unit or fuel pump (where you have zillions of pump/sender choices). The Downey installation instruction sheets are actually here on Mud under the Downey Off Road link.
Off to the archives I go… thank you!!!

Here's the tank,
$_0.JPG
sorry I can't get the photo larger

Last edited:
OK; I’m down for two. I already own a new, unmounted tank for the 1963.
But the second will fit where I originally had your skid plate on the 74, but a different builder (tlc4x4) removed it and installed a steel tank in 2004/5. Going back to your tank with a skid plate on the rebuild.

Dang it’d cost over $100 to fill the rig these days 😝.

Jim, do they fit with reversed rear springs? Spring under, will they clear the diff on compression?

I am very interested in one. Have a shackle reversal with a 4" lift. I think that my diff is still in a pretty "normal" location. Any estimate on shipping to Washington State?

I sold the last 3 in same day, have more on order now, hopefully not longer than a couple weeks out, stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom