Door Lock Actuator Replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EDIT: I noticed on the Ebay listing the motor is 14,500 rpm! Fast motor indeed!

Yep....when I first tested the new motor in the actuator, I didn't yet epoxy the actuator shut and didn't think to clamp it. I hit the door lock button and one half of the clamshell flew about 10 feet across my driveway.

Club Lexus has been using this fix for a while on many different models. The question is now, how do we fix the window motors? Mine windows are as slow as molasses in winter time. We need chevy speed on the windows.

Thanks guys for finding the motors and the great writeup! I just ordered mine to fix my drivers door.

This is a fabulous thread and it is an excellent addition to the FAQ. Great photos and step-by-step instructions. Bravo!

Fantastic ... a Q though!

Hi there,

Guys you are doing great job!

I have just registered to ask this question..

I am not sure if i'd be welcome to post it thought ... since it's related to Jeep Grand cherokee?

It's in this very subject you guys are talking about. I basically need to replace the mini motor inside the door lock actuator. I have searched the net for that part but no success!

I have found that the brand is a Mabuchi but i just can't get the specs, like the RMP and the others! otherwise i would have bought it from eBay.

So, just in case it's OK to post it, here goes my question, does it matter that i pick the exact specs for that motor or just having a 12V DC motor (same brand and size) with any rpm will do?

Thanks and sorry for intruding!
day dreamer

Hi there,

Guys you are doing great job!

I have just registered to ask this question..

I am not sure if i'd be welcome to post it thought ... since it's related to Jeep Grand cherokee?

It's in this very subject you guys are talking about. I basically need to replace the mini motor inside the door lock actuator. I have searched the net for that part but no success!

I have found that the brand is a Mabuchi but i just can't get the specs, like the RMP and the others! otherwise i would have bought it from eBay.

So, just in case it's OK to post it, here goes my question, does it matter that i pick the exact specs for that motor or just having a 12V DC motor (same brand and size) with any rpm will do?

Thanks and sorry for intruding!
day dreamer
At $5 plus postage you can hardly go wrong, I'm buying some at that price just in case mine fail and these possibly fit the later models!

Alright...any real time details on how to "Pop off" the Actuator cover? Mine is pretty stuck. Prying with a screwdriver isn't working well.

Also...I broke part of the little yellow plastic thing that holds the metal rod from the assembly into the lock cylinder tab on the door. It might hold with one tit left, but any advice on a more secure solution for this would be welcomed while I have the door apart.

Last edited:
Update: Chisel and hammer worked to get the cover off after setting in the sun for about an hour.

I actually found the yellow piece that I broke off and epoxed that as well. We'll see how that works.

I replaced the motor on my driver's door using the motors from eBay. A couple of notes, I used a Raychem heat gun (hi temperature used for solder sleeves) to facilitate release of the adhesive to separate the clam shells. The motor failed as it was full of corrosion preventative (Metropolitan annual rust proofing located in Montreal) I had applied 3 weeks before the motor stopped working. Must have got in by bthe vent located at the base of the motor. I followed the advice to sparingly epoxy the clam shells together as I used the epoxy in four locations. The clam shells separated after 4 weeks so I had to go back in again. I subsequently applied epoxy around 90% of the clam shells and it has been fine for the past two months.

Update: Chisel and hammer worked to get the cover off after setting in the sun for about an hour.

I actually found the yellow piece that I broke off and epoxed that as well. We'll see how that works.

For future reference, I broke the yellow clip also when fixing the door lock actuator on my 80. I was told by the Toyota Dealer I would have to buy the entire lock assembly just to get the it. After talking to Cruiser Dan I was able to get just the yellow clip for 2-3 dollars I think. Turns out Toyota sells the clips seperately for Camry door lock pieces. So if you do need to get a new clip, save your old one to show to the Toyota dealer for matching up. They will probably have it in stock.

I might be wrong, but I think those clips and the rods they snap onto are probably a common part for most Toyota door handle/lock rods, so if you do need to get one you might have the parts guy try looking at a similar Camry part. My local Toyota parts guy didn't want to be bothered with doing a little extra work tracking down that part, so I called Cruiser Dan. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Does anybody know of a current source of these Mabuchi FC 280PT 22125 motors? The ebay seller no longer has them and other places I've found (Pinnacle Micro, 4 Star Electronics, SurplusTraders.net, SGI Direct) are geared towards high volume orders or have $100 minimums.

Does anybody know of a current source of these Mabuchi FC 280PT 22125 motors? The ebay seller no longer has them and other places I've found (Pinnacle Micro, 4 Star Electronics, SurplusTraders.net, SGI Direct) are geared towards high volume orders or have $100 minimums.

Send me a PM with how many you need. I might have 1 or 2 I would be willing to sell. Somewhere between $5 and $100... :grinpimp:

Bumping this up again.

1) Has anyone else found another seller/source for these Mabuchi FC 280PT 22125 motors that will sell small orders.
2) Does anyone have a extra spare to sell?
3) If someone wants to send me their old one, I can see if I can get it rebuilt?

Thanks

I need four of these too. Maybe a group order???

From the EBay seller 3-4-09 :

I am Tag16c Tonight I have only 3 more of these FC-280 motors left and they are all on eBay. If some one finds another source for these things that does not require buying 10K I would love to help but I cannot handle it my self. I will keep looking and let the forum know if I find more, but thanks for all your support this past year.
Tag16c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom