Dobinsons vs. Icon lift recommendations and why (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm in the market for a lift and have narrowed it down to these two. I'm either going to go with the Icon stage 1 or a Dobinsons lift.

I am currently running 4x4 labs front and rear bumpers, warn winch and a rear drawer system. I also have a roof rack yet to be installed.

Does anyone have experience with both? If not please give your opinions and recommendations on each. I look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks!

Well thanks for all of the feedback...does anyone have any opinions of feedback whatsoever on these 2 options?

Thanks!

Patience is a virtue, I believe the Dobo gear is still relatively new in NA so there probably aren't a vast number of people who have run it.

I had their 4" springs and shocks in my 80 and they rode well, no complaints here. The shocks copped about 80,000km of punishment before I replaced them.

I now have a factory height suspension setup from them with a dual rate spring and air bags in the rear for load carrying and find the ride and handling to be excellent.

Patience is a virtue, I believe the Dobo gear is still relatively new in NA so there probably aren't a vast number of people who have run it.

I had their 4" springs and shocks in my 80 and they rode well, no complaints here. The shocks copped about 80,000km of punishment before I replaced them.

I now have a factory height suspension setup from them with a dual rate spring and air bags in the rear for load carrying and find the ride and handling to be excellent.
Thank you i appreciate your feedback. That's exactly what I'm looking for is a good dual rate spring which is why I'm looking at these two offerings. Did you have the medium or heavy springs?

So I'm in the market for a lift and have narrowed it down to these two. I'm either going to go with the Icon stage 1 or a Dobinsons lift.

I am currently running 4x4 labs front and rear bumpers, warn winch and a rear drawer system. I also have a roof rack yet to be installed.

Does anyone have experience with both? If not please give your opinions and recommendations on each. I look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks!

The Icon springs are new enough that you won't find much information on them, I've looked. Dobinsions have more of a standing in Australia, so it will be a bit more difficult to get information on them as well. I will tell you the same thing I told the last guy that asked about springs. If you can wait a few months, your options, and the information available to you, will be much greater. Lots of vendors bringing dual rate springs to the states this year.

I'd like to know for my own personal knowledage, what advantages do these have over the old standard Old Man emu lift? Are the shocks that much better?

I'd like to know for my own personal knowledage, what advantages do these have over the old standard Old Man emu lift? Are the shocks that much better?

Dual rate springs. Also, all the reading I did before I bought my lift, I read the OME can be kind of a harsh ride. No first hand experience, just what I read from other members that had experience with both types

The Icon springs are new enough that you won't find much information on them, I've looked. Dobinsions have more of a standing in Australia, so it will be a bit more difficult to get information on them as well. I will tell you the same thing I told the last guy that asked about springs. If you can wait a few months, your options, and the information available to you, will be much greater. Lots of vendors bringing dual rate springs to the states this year.

I've looked around as well trying to find some information and thought i had found what I was wanting in icon but then dobinsons came around. Now I'm more confused than before. All I know is that i want dual rate and OME don't really fit what I'd like for my rig. Maybe I'll just need to wait a little longer before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

I'm looking at options on springs as well. I think I want the slinky coils, but will wait until I see more people report on them.

There are definitely a lot of options on the market for 80's these days. We have a few options for variable rate coils, 2", 3" and 4". Some people say progressive or dual rate instead of variable rate, and there are a few different ways to make a coil spring too. Variables offer you a good option in case you run empty often, but then load up and don't want to lose the height. Also the variable rate coils will hold into the coil seat better too in case you're looking for maximum suspension travel/flex.

OP, do you know what lift height you are looking to achieve? A 2" suspension will be a fair bit different in options (lots of brands to choose from and coil options) compared to a 3 or 4", or taller. I ran 2-3" OME for the years I had my LX450, so I can give you feedback on that, but I never had 4" suspension or taller, and those people that have that lift height will be able to give you some better feedback and reviews. Just need to know what you want to get out of your truck.

Here's a customer from Orlando that bought our rear 4" flexi coils and shocks recently, replacing his J springs. He says he will be adding our fronts before too long.

WhatsApp Image 2017-02-03 at 5.33.40 PM.jpeg

There are definitely a lot of options on the market for 80's these days. We have a few options for variable rate coils, 2", 3" and 4". Some people say progressive or dual rate instead of variable rate, and there are a few different ways to make a coil spring too. Variables offer you a good option in case you run empty often, but then load up and don't want to lose the height. Also the variable rate coils will hold into the coil seat better too in case you're looking for maximum suspension travel/flex.

OP, do you know what lift height you are looking to achieve? A 2" suspension will be a fair bit different in options (lots of brands to choose from and coil options) compared to a 3 or 4", or taller. I ran 2-3" OME for the years I had my LX450, so I can give you feedback on that, but I never had 4" suspension or taller, and those people that have that lift height will be able to give you some better feedback and reviews. Just need to know what you want to get out of your truck.

Here's a customer from Orlando that bought our rear 4" flexi coils and shocks recently, replacing his J springs. He says he will be adding our fronts before too long.

View attachment 1398082
Hey Mike I appreciate you coming in. I'm currently running the stock Alex 450 setup with one and a half inch spacers front and rear. I am looking for a 2-3 inch lift. I currently have a drawer system and 4x4 labs rear bumper and a front 4x4 Labs bumper with Warn winch. I don't usually carry too much but I am planning on taking some camping/Expedition trips this year. I am also looking to get more Flex out of my rig as the stock suspension lifts a tire quite often when we are out Wheeling. We go out about once a week around here either in the sand or rock crawling. I'm looking for a good Progressive or variable rate spring so that the along Highway drives aren't uncomfortable for me or my passengers. What are your recommendations? Do you need any more specific info? Thanks!

View attachment 1398082
Do y'all sell them in ANY other color besides that awful blue/green color? I'd be interested in a 3" kit but can't get over that damn color!

Just as a reference for ride height here is my 80 on 305/70r16 km2s with 2 different setups.

1st is Dobinsons 4" front springs and 3" rears, both linear rate. Dobinsons rear shocks and Amada Extreme remote res shocks up front. Ride was excellent however a lack of castor correction made handling poor. This setup was put together separately not as a kit.

Edit: it sits down slightly in the rear as I had my 100kg toolbox in the back for work.
IMG_1935.JPG

2nd is standard height replacement springs, linear rate front and dual rate rears. Also added is firestone airbags. This was provided as a kit with shocks and installed by Dobinsons, it included new castor correction bushes and a wheel alignment. The ride and handling on this suspension is fantastic.
IMG_2863.JPG

Do y'all sell them in ANY other color besides that awful blue/green color? I'd be interested in a 3" kit but can't get over that damn color!

Yeah, but it's a bit of a DIY project. For $5 extra, we include a can of black spray paint. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Just kidding.

It's our unique color, an easy identifier so people can show off their Dobinsons coils, and many brands have their own color, or just go with black. We've sold many of these that people paint over the powdercoat if they don't like the color. The powdercoat is really good, so it would be best to paint over as opposed to stripping and re-doing the finish.

Hey Mike I appreciate you coming in. I'm currently running the stock Alex 450 setup with one and a half inch spacers front and rear. I am looking for a 2-3 inch lift. I currently have a drawer system and 4x4 labs rear bumper and a front 4x4 Labs bumper with Warn winch. I don't usually carry too much but I am planning on taking some camping/Expedition trips this year. I am also looking to get more Flex out of my rig as the stock suspension lifts a tire quite often when we are out Wheeling. We go out about once a week around here either in the sand or rock crawling. I'm looking for a good Progressive or variable rate spring so that the along Highway drives aren't uncomfortable for me or my passengers. What are your recommendations? Do you need any more specific info? Thanks!

Thanks for the breakdown, that's all I'd need. Let me shoot you a PM with my ideas. 3" flexi coils front and back would be the go

Your build sounds similar in weight to mine, I have the Icon springs and it's fine in the front but the rear springs are overloaded once I have parts/tools in the drawer, water, spare tire, gas, and hi-lift. Torn between putting in a spacer or switching springs.

Your build sounds similar in weight to mine, I have the Icon springs and it's fine in the front but the rear springs are overloaded once I have parts/tools in the drawer, water, spare tire, gas, and hi-lift. Torn between putting in a spacer or switching springs.
That was one of my concerns with icon since they don't offer heavy springs. I have a spacer if i need to go that route but then unloaded if like like a stink bug. Decisions decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom