Dobinsons IMS Shocks - Land Cruiser 100 Series and Lexus LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I do not anticipate towing (hitch mounted bike rack at most).
2. About 170k, but it had fairly extensive & regular maintenance performed before I took ownership
3. I do expect to get into off-road exploring, predominantly in the Southeast. This won't be a daily driver, but it may be used for some highway travel. I'm guessing 20-30% off-road. I probably wouldn't drive out west due to time constraints. However, I just got back from a trip to UT, ID, MT, and WY, and the LC would have been a lot more fun than the Nissan Sentra we had, though the Sentra did handle about 100 miles of gravel roads relatively well.

So I have 2 quotes:
1. No lift, delete AHC, replace front & rear shocks. I was assuming that was for a fully functional repair, meaning if new rear springs and/or torsion bars were necessary, they'd be part of the deal.
2. Dobinsons 1-1.5" lift kit, which includes 4 shocks, 2 springs, 2 torsion bars.

Based on that picture and my own recollection, my 470 seems to ride little higher in the neutral position, but I don't have a good picture to share at the moment.
I think you will enjoy the Dobinsons IMS package on a trip to Deals Gap North Carolina and off-roading in the Smokey Mountains. ;)

Let us know the part/item numbers that are in the package.

2. About 170k, but it had fairly extensive & regular maintenance performed before I took ownership
3. I do expect to get into off-road exploring, predominantly in the Southeast. This won't be a daily driver, but it may be used for some highway travel. I'm guessing 20-30% off-road. I probably wouldn't drive out west due to time constraints. However, I just got back from a trip to UT, ID, MT, and WY, and the LC would have been a lot more fun than the Nissan Sentra we had, though the Sentra did handle about 100 miles of gravel roads relatively well.

So I have 2 quotes:
1. No lift, delete AHC, replace front & rear shocks. I was assuming that was for a fully functional repair, meaning if new rear springs and/or torsion bars were necessary, they'd be part of the deal.
2. Dobinsons 1-1.5" lift kit, which includes 4 shocks, 2 springs, 2 torsion bars.

Based on that picture and my own recollection, my 470 seems to ride little higher in the neutral position, but I don't have a good picture to share at the moment.
To do a full AHC delete/replacement, you're supposed to run new torsion bars, coils, and shocks front and rear. The AHC makes up the ride difference that the softer TB's and coils have, and a full AHC replacement needs the proper parts to be replaced so that it rides properly. The only way you should do quote #1 is if you buy new AHC parts to replace the front and rear shocks.

Lift heights are based on non-AHC models, and of course the front is height adjustable depending where you set the torsion bars to. A 2" front and rear lift means you have to set the front TB's to 2" of lift, and the rear is lifted based on what coils you choose.

So I have 2 quotes:

If you’re not planning on hanging a _bunch_ of weight on the front of your LX, consider just going with stock TBs. I put Dobinsons Hd ones on but then never ended up going with a bumper and, even with a 2nd battery and a 12k hidden winch, the ride was harsh. I just switched mine back to stock and the ride is soooo much better (same level of lift —21” hub to fender). Still loving my Dobinsons IMS shocks up front and variable rate springs in the back!

If you’re not planning on hanging a _bunch_ of weight on the front of your LX, consider just going with stock TBs. I put Dobinsons Hd ones on but then never ended up going with a bumper and, even with a 2nd battery and a 12k hidden winch, the ride was harsh. I just switched mine back to stock and the ride is soooo much better (same level of lift —21” hub to fender). Still loving my Dobinsons IMS shocks up front and variable rate springs in the back!
I was going to order the dobnsons hd TB's but after this post I think ill buy OE bars from a non AHC rig.

what size tires are you running?

To do a full AHC delete/replacement, you're supposed to run new torsion bars, coils, and shocks front and rear. The AHC makes up the ride difference that the softer TB's and coils have, and a full AHC replacement needs the proper parts to be replaced so that it rides properly. The only way you should do quote #1 is if you buy new AHC parts to replace the front and rear shocks.

Lift heights are based on non-AHC models, and of course the front is height adjustable depending where you set the torsion bars to. A 2" front and rear lift means you have to set the front TB's to 2" of lift, and the rear is lifted based on what coils you choose.
Are you able to get IMS59-60786?

Are you able to get IMS59-60786?
Yes. I sell those on my site. If you get those shocks then you also need the UCA's and diff drop kit due to their extended travel.

Yes. I sell those on my site. If you get those shocks then you also need the UCA's and diff drop kit due to their extended travel.
I’ve read diff drop is a waste of money, I have a friend with a lifted 4th Gen on 35’s and he doesn’t have one either. I’d like to get those since I’m wanting 2.5” at a minimum.
Do you know if the rear will still have some rake if I am lifted 2.5-3” in the rear?

Ordering UCA’s as well :)

I’ve read diff drop is a waste of money, I have a friend with a lifted 4th Gen on 35’s and he doesn’t have one either. I’d like to get those since I’m wanting 2.5” at a minimum.
Do you know if the rear will still have some rake if I am lifted 2.5-3” in the rear?

Ordering UCA’s as well :)
Totally different vehicle. You can go ahead and try without it, but just have some new CV axles ready to go in when they bust due to over extending.

If you lift the front and rear the same amount, you're keeping the rake. You have to lift the rear less than the front to reduce the rake.

Dobinsons sale starts Monday the 8th. Click here for full details:

November Sale.jpg

Dobinsons sale starts Monday the 8th. Click here for full details:

The sale got me past my inertia. Front IMS extended shocks ordered for my son's vehicle (to go with the IMS rears that I already have). I've hated the OME shocks that have been on it for the last ~7 years, and I'd like to compare the IMS rear shocks to the MRA rear shocks that we have on the other two vehicles. My son claims that his OME shocks are "just fine", but he does seem to take one of the LX470s with IMS/MRA every time he gets the chance.

Also ordered a pair of C59-223V coils to play with...

The sale got me past my inertia. Front IMS extended shocks ordered for my son's vehicle (to go with the IMS rears that I already have). I've hated the OME shocks that have been on it for the last ~7 years, and I'd like to compare the IMS rear shocks to the MRA rear shocks that we have on the other two vehicles. My son claims that his OME shocks are "just fine", but he does seem to take one of the LX470s with IMS/MRA every time he gets the chance.

Also ordered a pair of C59-223V coils to play with...
I'll need to make a "frequent buyer club" card or something for guys like you!! haha

Let us know how it all goes. I guarantee once you change the shocks on your son's rig, he won't believe the difference.

I'll need to make a "frequent buyer club" card or something for guys like you!! haha

Let us know how it all goes. I guarantee once you change the shocks on your son's rig, he won't believe the difference.

To be honest, I really liked the concept of keeping the three vehicle builds “different”, with similar products from different manufacturers/vendors, but we’ve been so pleased with the original product, it’s hard to try something else.

( Although I would really like to have the option of trying a MRA shock on the front of the IFS 100 series. Maybe that’s an excuse to hunt down a GX460 or 200 series 🤔 )

Can someone post pics of how the rear shock is set up in the rear?

I’ll assume that you’re talking about the MRA (MRR adjustable) and how the reservoir is setup?

Pictures of my 06 LX:

I’ll assume that you’re talking about the MRA (MRR adjustable) and how the reservoir is setup?

Pictures of my 06 LX:

Looking for pics of the non MRR and how they’re supposed to be put together up top where the shock is mounted to the body.

8CC154B5-A902-44A5-AE11-F9BEE727F975.jpeg

Mine came without bushings on the rear shock.

Do the shocks take the two rubber inserts? If so, why does the stock picture on dobinsons page show a different bushing?

Why would shocks come with lose bushings on the bottom?

12190033-6E69-4278-AE0F-64E3DA8A8EBE.png

AD03A812-AEF7-4F04-9264-394E54954A6A.jpeg

BF1DBD53-E0D9-44F0-85A8-57A4C72F417F.jpeg

0816951B-5B23-4CD1-BE28-283A0D8559F9.jpeg

My rears came with the rubber bushings and parts in the bag. The metal rods to compress the shock ran through the open end before the bushings were inserted.

Rear

1638623483949.png

Front

1638624154254.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom