Dobinson 80 swing out bumper with bike rack

cooldadv2

cooldadv2

Hi all - I just pulled the trigger on the aforementioned bumper - 4x4 labs was the top of my list but the wait time is around 25 weeks right now and I am not in a position to wait that out for a number of reasons. I was wondering if anyone has figured out a good hack for carrying bikes with this bumper - maybe someone has Engineered akin to the 4x4 labs bike swing out? I have a Thule spare tire carrier that I could use, but I don’t love it, and the tire being offset to the side isn’t ideal for bike carrying. If possible would love to get away from a hitch carrier. It’s a pain to deal with two swim arms and the two trunk doors plus a bike rack on the hitch. Any and all advice appreciated !

blumtn

blumtn

I like putting my hitch mount 1up bike carrier on the front to keep the back open. Obviously requires a Reese hitch on the front, but that comes in handy for multiple purposes.

cooldadv2

cooldadv2

I like putting my hitch mount 1up bike carrier on the front to keep the back open. Obviously requires a Reese hitch on the front, but that comes in handy for multiple purposes.
That’s an interesting option. I cruised the bike forum snd saw some interesting mods people had done to prefab spare carrier racks - I may go
That route. In a perfect work I could fab a 1up onto a swing arm that could replace the Jerry can carrier on the bumper.

BBE26725 3B58 40DF 8F78 F54509C0F1F0

changingground

changingground

I have the 4x4labs rear bumper, with dual swing outs. I’ve been thinking about carrying my bikes as well, and have a Kuat rack I like a lot. My plan was to use a hitch extension to get the rack out past the spare tire (for those trips where I’m carrying the spare). But I recently read on this forum that 4x4labs is confident that a receiver could be mounted to a swing out arm to facilitate bike racks. So I’m considering all the options. I don’t know how the Dobinson rack is constructed ked, exactly, but I’ll bet your idea of replacing the carrier with a receiver that is fabricated for that location would work. The arms certainly appear stout.

cooldadv2

cooldadv2

I have the 4x4labs rear bumper, with dual swing outs. I’ve been thinking about carrying my bikes as well, and have a Kuat rack I like a lot. My plan was to use a hitch extension to get the rack out past the spare tire (for those trips where I’m carrying the spare). But I recently read on this forum that 4x4labs is confident that a receiver could be mounted to a swing out arm to facilitate bike racks. So I’m considering all the options. I don’t know how the Dobinson rack is constructed ked, exactly, but I’ll bet your idea of replacing the carrier with a receiver that is fabricated for that location would work. The arms certainly appear stout.
I have a guy locally who’s going to help me fab up a swing arm to attach to the dobinson that will have a 2” receiver on the end. I will plug the 1UP rack I just bought into in when I need it. I’ll post pics next week when it’s done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom