Do You Fat? (1 Viewer)

Do You Fat?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ride a fatty, Rubber Side Down, a Canadian startup company. This bike is a mountain crusher with great geometry. These pics are in the Tonto Nat'l Forest around the Mogollon Rim.

Zona
IMG-8003.jpg
IMG-8016.jpg

Not super fat but love my ruddy comp, reasonable in price and will take some abuse..

Mongoose | Ruddy Comp

Got it online on closeout last year, 24lbs, for the price they are great, half what other bikes were with the same components....

I've been riding a Surly Pug Ops for a few years. Initially assembled a frame set to go ride part of the Colorado trail. Overall its a great way to go but they are very slow and take a lot of energy to ride when you are covering long distances every day. I probably wouldn't use the fat tire machine for another bike packing trip where I had a lot of ground to cover in a set time.

So does anyone else out there ride a fat bike?

In the end my woodgrain wheels look more like bacon.

That's ok, because I love bacon... I'll just call it "The Baconator"

You either like bacon - or you're wrong!
I met a guy who just retired, said it was the most fun he'd ever had riding a bike in his whole life.
I'm thinking seriously of getting one. I haven't ridden in years, and its showing. :(

My daily driver/winter beater, mind you its seen some different parts and studded tires since the picture.

about 17F (-8C) this morning, new office is about 15kms (9 miles) each way.

I run a panier with a rack on the back now, this thing is a cheap department store bike (mongoose hitch) but I've got my monies worth out of it. Have replaced the seat, chain and rear sprocket as well, but I ride it in the ugly weather in Calgary.

Had it about a year, probably put 2000+ kms on it since I bought it.
34CEDDDE-410C-48AF-8937-CBE4EA9F6F17.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

I finally broke down and got one!
Magnus IE Fat eBike - CitrusCycles.ca
I went with ebike cause it makes going up the mountain a bit easier. I’m
no kid any more, but I am at least getting out there. Took an endo
today, gently, but it was steep and rocky. But I’m loving it!

Hi all,

I'm new to fatbiking, and cold weather riding, and am trying to figure out how to layer for temps below 30°F without becoming a sweatsicle. Anyone have any experience-based recommensarecom for budget friendly base, mid, and outer layers? Everything I'm seeing specific to cold weather riding online is pricy as hell.

If anyone has tried and liked anything from a cheapo place (wish, lightinthebox, Alibaba, etc) that has been effective in keeping them warm(ish) but more importantly DRY of sweat, please name/link drop!

I'm primarily looking fir recommendations for my upper body, as I have no issues anywhere else .

Thanks!

Hey John,

I bike from -16C (3F) and up, the ride is about 12.5km's each way. For weather down to around -2C (35F) I wear a jacket and sweater, the sweater is just thin cotton and there is probably something better, and the jacket is just a thin waterproof shell, I bought it based on its stretch rating from a climbing website but it is an outdoor research ferrosi and is great. Steep and Cheap had a good price when I bought it.

When I get to the office I'll hang up the jacket and sweater which usually has a bit of dampness to them, and would reccomend having at least a couple sweaters to switch up if your biking to work everyday, you may find you only want to wear a sweater one day, or a couple days before it needs to get washed. I should probably find something better for sweating in multiple days, but it works and they have a shower at the office.

I also wear a thin stretch cap to keep the sweat out of my eyes, I've got like 5 or more of them and cant bike without them

US $1.75 8% OFF|New fashion Spandex Dome Cap Helmet Liner Biker Beanie Hat Turban Women's Hat G 247 on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

For Calgary if its -2C in the morning , it will probably be anywhere from +5C (41F) to +18C (65F) on the way home, and then I'll wear just the sweater, or jacket or neither, but you gotta get used to finding the right combination so your not sweating too much on the ride, thats just trial and error, and when you get it right you'll still be sweating when you get to where your going. I also made a habit of buying brightly colored biking gear, so as I take layers off Im still very visible to traffic. Most of my office under shirts are brightly colored too. A couple close calls with vehicles and it's easy to see why.

The nice thing about the ferrosi jacket is it also bundles up small and fits nicely into my pannier bag. Also a nice upgrade over a backpack or courier bag, which will cause you to sweat more on your back.

Last edited:
Yeah I fat. this was once a big box mongoose...….I have more money in parts than the bike cost and I still have a junk bike...but I'm too far in to get rid of it now.....it does good other than the rear axle bending. I have a Chrome moly axle now we will see if it lasts. EDIT: chromoly axle didn't last.

KIMG0503[1].JPG

KIMG0503[1].JPG

Last edited:
Oh yeah!
Fat tire.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom