DIY welding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know of a supply of 8/3 BX in lengths for $1.75/ ft. There has been a tear down and garage
selling the pieces. I passed up a 28’ and 75’ pieces just because no money for that right now.
But that supports 50A continuous.

I know of a supply of 8/3 BX in lengths for $1.75/ ft. There has been a tear down and garage
selling the pieces. I passed up a 28’ and 75’ pieces just because no money for that right now.
But that supports 50A continuous.

Already bought the wire. Just need time to pull it. Thanks tho Jon.

Thanks @bikersmurf . Just been so busy with the needs of my family/house etc. I've had no time to pursue my welding dreams. Maybe come the long dark winter nights I'll get back to this. First thing is I'm going to pull a new circuit in the house so I can have a more legit plug in my shop. (rather than the tap off my furnace that I have now).
You’ll not like this one…

A76C52A3-7956-4E60-BB92-C94F9E02BE45.jpeg
AC44C0A7-9C7A-44A3-A84D-AA2D334E5385.jpeg

Wow, that's a good'er. I've just been too busy to jump on deals like this. I did buy proper wire to put in a more legit outlet - and figured out how to pull it from one end of my house to the other with minimal drywall casualty. So can't say I haven't made ANY progress at least. Anyhow, thanks very much for the link.

Wow, that's a good'er. I've just been too busy to jump on deals like this. I did buy proper wire to put in a more legit outlet - and figured out how to pull it from one end of my house to the other with minimal drywall casualty. So can't say I haven't made ANY progress at least. Anyhow, thanks very much for the link.
You're driving through Nanaimo today....

Buy it , drop it off at my place continue north, pick up on way home.

Easy peasy. :grinpimp: :lol:

You're driving through Nanaimo today....

Buy it , drop it off at my place continue north, pick up on way home.

Easy peasy. :grinpimp: :lol:

That did cross my mind, but won't have room in back of the truck to move it. That and our range just died (glass top gave out), and new one swmbo picked out costs about as much as the welder. Priorities and all. Will have to wait a bit yet.

That did cross my mind, but won't have room in back of the truck to move it. That and our range just died (glass top gave out), and new one swmbo picked out costs about as much as the welder. Priorities and all. Will have to wait a bit yet.
Haha, yeah new couch and fridge hit me this month.

Had to dip into the kids college fund for my cruiser parts...:hillbilly:

On the topic of welding…
Hooked up the bottle of mystery gas I got from @stevebradford to my little Miller 135. Here are some of my practice welds (& as I dialled it in).
5810E1EF-BE31-4224-A2FD-7F071B9968B8.jpeg
2358ED70-05FD-4CD1-BCD2-32075CE30DA7.jpeg
12541A4A-5872-48E1-9A8B-FC518929E2E5.jpeg

Once I got it dialled in I think they look ok. It may be risky… but I’ll welcome any input. The cleanest are the newest… the left most weld in the second photo is one of the last.

On another note… any one here use a lot of pure argon? I’ve got a tank… I’ll use it for thinner metal for the next 5 years if not. This tank of mystery gas penetrates much better than argon. My guess is it’s CO2 or a CO2 blend.

Whew! And I was worried It might have been hydrogen, methyl acetylene, vinyl chloride or tetrafluoroethylene!
:lol:
Previous tests had shown that it was heavier than air, non-flamible, and odourless. Started there before hooking a welder to it.

ie. the balloon sank when filled with it… and it didn’t catch fire when brought near a flame.

Don’t know if it’s mixed or CO2… but it works as a shielding gas. It’s tempting to pick up another cheap regulator and a Y to make my own mix… but that’s for a different day.

A guy I know of was filling balloons with acetylene and dragging them over a candle with a string 30 feet away, makes a great explosion with a pleasing concussion. Well he decided to fill multiple at once and carry them over to the string. Static set them off in his arms and blew out both ear drums. :lol:

Last edited:
A guy I know of was filling balloons with acetylene and dragging them over a candle with a string 30 feet away, makes a great explosion with a pleasing concussion. Well he decided to fill multiple at once and carry them over to the string. Static set them off in his arms and blew out both ear drums. :lol:

Saw a documentary a little while back proving that static took out the Hindenburg. Definitely a thing. And to think of all those years as a kid I cleaned chainsaw parts and other things in gasoline on the farm. :D It works so well...but those damn volatile fumes can spell disaster under the right circumstances....

On the topic of welding…
Hooked up the bottle of mystery gas I got from @stevebradford to my little Miller 135. Here are some of my practice welds (& as I dialled it in).
View attachment 2860107View attachment 2860108View attachment 2860109

Once I got it dialled in I think they look ok. It may be risky… but I’ll welcome any input. The cleanest are the newest… the left most weld in the second photo is one of the last.

On another note… any one here use a lot of pure argon? I’ve got a tank… I’ll use it for thinner metal for the next 5 years if not. This tank of mystery gas penetrates much better than argon. My guess is it’s CO2 or a CO2 blend.
"stackin' dimes"!!!:hillbilly:

"stackin' dimes"!!!:hillbilly:
The first few hardly looked like dimes. I’d watched a few videos first so I had a sense how to fix my problems.

It should sound like sizzling bacon when you have got it right. :grinpimp:

CECF0190-47E4-4AC3-84A9-EEF5E19DF9E8.png
941D710A-08A3-4389-98F2-60F17EF9B4E8.jpeg
F2DB07E3-D303-46A4-B2B3-B35308DAA010.jpeg
E49C1563-C018-4EB2-9CB9-4BF67FB5E63D.jpeg

Gov surplus has 3 of these up for auction… don’t know if they are any good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom