Distribution of weight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Taco2Cruiser

Crazy American Off Road
Threads
Curious what you guy do with disputing weight when packing the 200?

I've got a fridge that weights 100 lbs when full that goes on one side, and 3 duffle bags and 3 wolf packs and water heater that weight 160 when full on the other side. Which side would you put these items on?
I'm also trying to decide on a rear bumper, between a tire and carrier (100lbs) on the right or left size, and 3 water can, 10lbs propane tank and recovery box (200lbs, but weight changes as water is used) on the other side. Again, I don't know which side I want the tire on
I'm also taking in account the 200 is heavier on the right (passenger side) with ARB putting a 10mm taller spring to compensate for the fuel tank.

Curious what you guy do with disputing weight when packing the 200?

I've got a fridge that weights 100 lbs when full that goes on one side, and 3 duffle bags and 3 wolf packs and water heater that weight 160 when full on the other side. Which side would you put these items on?
I'm also trying to decide on a rear bumper, between a tire and carrier (100lbs) on the right or left size, and 3 water can, 10lbs propane tank and recovery box (200lbs, but weight changes as water is used) on the other side. Again, I don't know which side I want the tire on
I'm also taking in account the 200 is heavier on the right (passenger side) with ARB putting a 10mm taller spring to compensate for the fuel tank.

This weight thing is another reason I love my ARB drawers. It lets me put heavy stuff at the lowest, most secure point of my 200, and lets me be deliberate about weight placement. My drawers are absolutely FULL of stuff at all times--even as a DD. Literally FULL, including tools, recovery, batteries, water, and likely weigh a TON.

I don't know what others think, but with a fridge in back, I'm reminded of what my dad used to tell me when I was first learning to drive a car...about staying in the middle of my highway lane. He said, "even though you feel like you're on the far left side of the car...your HEAD is closer to the middle than it is to the side. Remember that when you're looking for lane center."

-In the same way, when I finally get a fridge in back, it will sit just to the right or left of center, and really won't be to either extreme side. I'll probably just balance my drawer storage crud to compensate a bit and call it done.

Last edited:
Weight has been a topic I've been researching lately. Lots of good info out there in various forms. Andrew on 4xOverland and Ronny with his YouTube channel have discussed the importance of proper weight distribution and keeping the rig as light as possible. Some things just can't be helped. Ronny actually redesigned his rear canopy due to weight. Much like with a road vehicle, the consensus seems to be, as low as possible and as close to the center as possible and keep the roof as clear as possible. Granted GWVR is more strictly followed in Australia for a variety of reasons, but that's a whole different bag o worms. It kind of goes back to what I said in the previous thread. Have a plan and don't arbitrarily throw parts at your vehicle.

Weight has been a topic I've been researching lately. Lots of good info out there in various forms. Andrew on 4xOverland and Ronny with his YouTube channel have discussed the importance of proper weight distribution and keeping the rig as light as possible. Some things just can't be helped. Ronny actually redesigned his rear canopy due to weight. Much like with a road vehicle, the consensus seems to be, as low as possible and as close to the center as possible and keep the roof as clear as possible. Granted GWVR is more strictly followed in Australia for a variety of reasons, but that's a whole different bag o worms. It kind of goes back to what I said in the previous thread. Have a plan and don't arbitrarily throw parts at your vehicle.

Yes. In a discussion about legal GWVR in Australia though...I found where Australia regulators will actually UP your 200's official GWVR when you go with heavier suspension. So...by their logic (and I tend to agree), the critical point is mostly a question of mating appropriately-stout suspension so that you can properly and safely handle the weight.

Top-loading is never optimal no matter what your suspension is, of course.

Yes. In a discussion about legal GWVR in Australia though...I found where Australia regulators will actually UP your 200's official GWVR when you go with heavier suspension. So...by their logic (and I tend to agree), the critical point is mostly a question of mating appropriately-stout suspension so that you can properly and safely handle the weight.

Top-loading is never optimal no matter what your suspension is, of course.

Right. There are dealer offered suspension packages in AUS that will raise the legal GWVR. That being said, owners should still be very mindful of their 200 (or any off-road/expedition rig) packing on the pounds. Adding weight has many repercussions beyond suspension related.

Right. There are dealer offered suspension packages in AUS that will raise the legal GWVR. That being said, owners should still be very mindful of their 200 (or any off-road/expedition rig) packing on the pounds. Adding weight has many repercussions beyond suspension related.

Ya... It's hard, because the reason I drive the 200 is partly because of where I like to go, and the tools, crud and STUFF I want with me like recovery stuff, etc. I also consider it my default emergency vehicle--with items kept in it that will get me through a week where all the grocery store shelves empty like they do every time some weather or other mess happens. On the other hand, I don't have a rooftop tent, and am rarely top-heavy. Wear and tear is sure to be greater...

Ya... It's hard, because the reason I drive the 200 is partly because of where I like to go, and the tools, crud and STUFF I want with me like recovery stuff, etc. I also consider it my default emergency vehicle--with items kept in it that will get me through a week where all the grocery store shelves empty like they do every time some weather or other mess happens. On the other hand, I don't have a rooftop tent, and am rarely top-heavy. Wear and tear is sure to be greater...

Understandable. Overpacking is a slippery slope too. When I went on my solo overnight trips with my Tundra I used maybe 1/3 of the stuff I brought the first time. That was a good lesson. But going with kids/wives/dogs/ect is a much less flexible situation.

As for the topic at hand. Taco, do you still have your 2nd row seats installed? I don't know if you need that seating room. I'm thinking of pulling mine out and seeing if I can use something similar to what I had in my old 4Runner:

META_TAG_FACEBOOK

It made removing and re-installing the 2nd row a 5 min job. I didn't pay $70 for them though, just a trip to Home Depot and a buddy with a welder. I haven't see if that's an applicable solution to the 200 though. If so, that's the prime spot for the heavier gear (centered and low).

Understandable. Overpacking is a slippery slope too. When I went on my solo overnight trips with my Tundra I used maybe 1/3 of the stuff I brought the first time. That was a good lesson. But going with kids/wives/dogs/ect is a much less flexible situation.

As for the topic at hand. Taco, do you still have your 2nd row seats installed? I don't know if you need that seating room. I'm thinking of pulling mine out and seeing if I can use something similar to what I had in my old 4Runner:

META_TAG_FACEBOOK

It made removing and re-installing the 2nd row a 5 min job. I didn't pay $70 for them though, just a trip to Home Depot and a buddy with a welder. I haven't see if that's an applicable solution to the 200 though. If so, that's the prime spot for the heavier gear (centered and low).

I have seriously considered removing my second row, or perhaps one side only. I already have the set of resistors needed to not get airbag warnings without the seat in place. But until I come up with a good way to utilize that space, I'm avoiding it. I know Slee had a seat out with a fridge there...but I'd like some sort of two-layer unit that can be equal to rear drawer height, with storage space below that level.

I have seriously considered removing my second row, or perhaps one side only. I already have the set of resistors needed to not get airbag warnings without the seat in place. But until I come up with a good way to utilize that space, I'm avoiding it. I know Slee had a seat out with a fridge there...but I'd like some sort of two-layer unit that can be equal to rear drawer height, with storage space below that level.

I'm thinking one of these

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/water-solutions/front-runner-footwell-water-tank.html

with some these on top

Amazon.com - Rubbermaid ActionPacker Lockable Storage Box, 48 Gallon, Grey and Black (1192) - Lidded Home Storage Bins

That tank is narrow enough to be on the floor with the second row still in place.

My sticking point is...I use the the second row folded down (but not up) to create a sleep surface in combination with drawer surface on one side. But that means all that seat bottom and back is just taking up capacity. Would love a simple continuation of the drawers...flat on top, with room for gear access from the side. I guess I could make something wooden, but my carpentry skill are about like a finger-painter in the art world. :-/ ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom