Dissent offroad 200 series offerings. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some aluminum slider progress!
We will also offer steel but I think the aluminum will be a great option for most.
9DDAFB18-E967-49EE-87B8-5227A286DA7E.jpeg
6FF65D07-D88A-4600-B782-313685BE6AEA.jpeg
811D70CC-87CE-45BB-8993-6155234AEE39.jpeg
A1533EB2-392C-4BE9-90E4-145ED25FE1D5.jpeg

Look really nice!
Are they strong enough to support the vehicle weight with a Hi-Lift Jack or on a rock without panel damage?

Some aluminum slider progress!
We will also offer steel but I think the aluminum will be a great option for most.

Are those intended to withstand full impacts i.e. literally sliding over or against rocks?

I ask because it looks like the main slider length is split in two pieces in the middle...right where the full impact of both axle loads would impact at the seam. I've never seen a slider design that has a seam in the middle like that.

Am I see that correctly? (circled below)

slider-seam.jpg

Perhaps it’s a aluminum hybrid style? Top section aluminum and the bottom contact area steel?

Perhaps it’s a aluminum hybrid style? Top section aluminum and the bottom contact area steel?

But why split in two pieces?

I was just guessing. I am sure benc will be able to answer the specifics. Maybe the top part is two piece like a shell and the bottoms part is one piece? I dig it...it almost look like factory steps but with slider function.

Are those intended to withstand full impacts i.e. literally sliding over or against rocks?

I ask because it looks like the main slider length is split in two pieces in the middle...right where the full impact of both axle loads would impact at the seam. I've never seen a slider design that has a seam in the middle like that.

Am I see that correctly? (circled below)

View attachment 1953650
Yes, these will be intended as a slider and designed to take the full weigh of the vehicle.
We plan to get a full aluminum version on mine and then beat the crap out of them, after that we will see what kind of reinforcement is needed, possibly steel/aluminum hybrid.
Yes, there is a seem, mainly for shipping reasons. The seam will bolt together with 12 countersink bolts along with an internal plate that goes directly to the frame. Once all tied together that seam will likely be the strongest part. The full aluminum version is obviously not going to be the strongest slider out there but I think it will fill a void in the market and be more than enough for 90% of the 200 owners.
In the end we should have an extremely lightweight, strong, corrosion resistant, great looking slider Step. I will also say the steel version will likely be one of the strongest sliders currently on the market.

I was just guessing. I am sure benc will be able to answer the specifics. Maybe the top part is two piece like a shell and the bottoms part is one piece? I dig it...it almost look like factory steps but with slider function.
I’ll get better pics of how everything ties together as we get closer. It will be extremely strong I believe but we will also be testing them.
Yes, the more i get out on long trips with the family the more I see the need for a functional step! Even the factory running board are not great. We decided to keep a similar profile to the factory but extended it out another inch for more protection and more step surface.

Ahhhh.
So the seam isn’t bearing the weight...as much as an internal piece of some kind....meaning the aluminum shown is more an outer shell not fully responsible for strength...

Ahhhh.
So the seam isn’t bearing the weight...as much as an internal piece of some kind....meaning the aluminum shown is more an outer shell not fully responsible for strength...
Correct.

Sorry if I missed it but I scanned the last 12 pages and it didn't jump out at me... but when will the front bumpers be available? It's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I was actually going to try to fab one myself and already had a cardboard model made up that is basically that shape - I love the high sides that expose the front tires. Thanks!

@Just a Ninja - contact Ben via dissentoffroad.com for a quote and specifications for how you'd like it built out. There is no "buy it now" tab per se on his site.

Have an 08, interested in a rear pending price, etc. Anymore shots of the roof rack? How much higher does it sit than stock bars?

Will you be required to drill holes in the frame for the sliders? Or will this use existing holes? As a guy with limited knowledge and skills I'm hoping these will be relatively easy to install. Definitely interested light weight options.

Have an 08, interested in a rear pending price, etc. Anymore shots of the roof rack? How much higher does it sit than stock bars?
I have a 14 getting bumpers now but still need to get ahold of a 08-12 for test fit before I can sell them. I don’t believe there would be any issues but have to check.
The roof rack sets about the same height as the factory bars, maybe even a little lower.
Will you be required to drill holes in the frame for the sliders? Or will this use existing holes? As a guy with limited knowledge and skills I'm hoping these will be relatively easy to install. Definitely interested light weight options.
There will be some holes that need enlarged for m8 rivnuts but other than that should be pretty simple.

I have a 14 getting bumpers now but still need to get ahold of a 08-12 for test fit before I can sell them. I don’t believe there would be any issues but have to check.
The roof rack sets about the same height as the factory bars, maybe even a little lower.
Wish I were closer to you, as I have a 2010 that would look great with your bumpers!

Hoping to have some prototype sliders welded up tomorrow!
The goal is to have a strong light weight slider with a replaceable outer shell. We will also have a separate tread plate that will get coated in a slip resistant powder and bolt on to the top. These will be 3 main pieces, the frame rail will bolt on first and the reinforced shell will slide over and bolt on.
Here are some renderings of the basic design.
I feel these will be strong but we will hopefully be doing some real world testing in Moab in a week or so.
FCC15CAC-DDEB-4416-B1D3-94DEC4E327D7.jpeg
F5F7D6BF-855F-43A8-99CD-AA93EFC6BB92.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom