Disintegrating Spring Brackets/Shackles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aloha everyone,

My tRusted 86' 60 has finally reached the next maintenance marker however I don't have much experience with suspension. Im looking to do a basic but worthwhile fix. I have a few questions- If this hanger was to detach at speed how messy would it be--say at 45mph? Silly question? --I've always considered myself a responsible driver.
My brother is a decent welder so I figure I will order hangers and a shackle kit for the front. Hopefully theres enough frame in there to connect. Any suggestions on parts or a program are appreciated.

Cheers

IMG_8921.jpg

Sorry about your rust.
Don't ask yourself "if," but "when?"
The results could range from benign to a fiery crash involving a bus full of children and nuns. Not to be a jerk, but to remain a responsible driver please don't put that on a public road. It should be thoroughly checked from front to back before doing any repairs, as other areas may need a bunch of work too, and that rabbit hole may be deeper than a frame swap or to relagate the rig to parts status.

^ what @Kleatus said

As it sits in that picture, that vehicle is a death trap. Don't drive it like that!

When I went Chevy springs in the rear I took my rear hangers off with a torch. They are in good condition of you want OEM ones. They would need to be welded on of course. They will cost you shipping.

This is webster's definition of sarcasm right?
There is no way that you are actually driving this? Or have been recently?
What does the back end look like?
I'm guessing that your milestone is a frame replacement.

Is the orange strap actually holding things together there? Sometimes the ears of the spring hangers can be eaten away and the thing still has some integrity. But yeah, looks like that one is a goner. FJ60 / Jeep XJ Spring Hangers 3 3/16" Inner Width

Like Brian says, check the rears-especially driver's side.

Well Shucks- Yeah I been driving it. Took it on a hard road and the dust blew off. The frame is fine in the back, really all the way around. Maybe too many surf sessions pointed into the break. The orange strap is just there to attract attention or keep something together but its Kina like a twisted tree your sawing on-- you don't quite know which way its going to go. I got the 3/16 hangers on order. Going to order the shackles from Spectre. I'd love to do the whole front but.. well. Its a daily driver not a trophy truck. Thanks for your comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom