Disc brakes conversion cost? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
how you going I'm new here but quick question how much does a front end disc brake conversion/upgrade cost for a hj47 not including labor just the parts if you can even buy em anymore.

in the states, a knuckles out setup from either a Landcruiser or a hilux runs anywhere from $400-600 plus a knuckle rebuild kit for $200
no idea what a setup down under costs, good used should be available, 60, 61, 62 or 70 series also hil;ux rigs should all work

in the states, a knuckles out setup from either a Landcruiser or a hilux runs anywhere from $400-600 plus a knuckle rebuild kit for $200
no idea what a setup down under costs, good used should be available, 60, 61, 62 or 70 series also hil;ux rigs should all work
Yha ok (I'm in Australia should have mentioned that). Hopefully I can find a original disc front end from a 40 series. hopeing to get a hj61 doner for the 12ht and I will get ac and power steering with that if possible. Ofc this is far down the track till I do any of this. thanks for the input man appreciate it.

You could use the knuckles and out from the HJ61 they will work on the FJ4x axle if it has disc brakes already. If the rotors and calipers are still in a usable condition and put in new pads. Reuse what you can to save money. If available reuse as much Toyota parts as you can wont need adapters.

I have FJ60 knuckles that I am putting on my FJ40 axle that already had disc brakes. I used the wheel hubs from the front axle on the rear axle when I converted an FJ60 housing to full floating and used Toyota FJ40/60 rotors and reman calipers to convert the rear to disc brakes.

I replaced the original calipers and rotors for my build because of age and they were original with over 100,000 miles on them.

You could use the knuckles and out from the HJ61 they will work on the FJ4x axle if it has disc brakes already. If the rotors and calipers are still in a usable condition and put in new pads. Reuse what you can to save money. If available reuse as much Toyota parts as you can wont need adapters.

I have FJ60 knuckles that I am putting on my FJ40 axle that already had disc brakes. I used the wheel hubs from the front axle on the rear axle when I converted an FJ60 housing to full floating and used Toyota FJ40/60 rotors and reman calipers to convert the rear to disc brakes.

I replaced the original calipers and rotors for my build because of age and they were original with over 100,000 miles on them.
Yha I'm hopeing to find all 40 series parts from a late model car if not then I will go with the 60 series bits like I said before I'm willing to spend the money for the original parts if I can find em not to worried about doing the rear disc upgrade but I did see someone that put a hole a 70 series rear end in for the disc brakes apparently it wasnt to hard to do but idk

Use the 60 series knuckles etc, for all intents and purposes it's the same as the disc brake 40 stuff.

Land Cruisers are modular across different series. They either share the same parts or the later parts work better.

a 70 series rear end in for the disc brakes apparently it wasnt to hard to do but idk

It's for newer style drum brakes where the parking brake is in the drum.
It'd also be a full float axle.

Hindsight, a new complete axle housing is the way I wish I would've gone.

Last edited:
I had the split transfer case built with the brake. I was happy with it with the 4-speed and saw no reason to still have 2 drum brakes with the new rotors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom