Disc Brake Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to apologize first if this question has specifically been answered on this forum in the past, but I haven't been able to find this exact answer. I have a 1974 FJ40 and looking to upgrade to front disc brakes. Can disc brakes from a 1978 FJ40 be bolted on my 1974, from the knuckles out, without any modifications?
Thanks for your help,

Not from the knuckles out. You replace the knuckles/spindles/axle shafts/hubs on your existing axle housing with the parts from the 78 model. The 74 knuckles lack the threaded bosses to secure the disc brake calipers...
HTH,
Will

If you get the birfields, knuckles, spindles etc. You can replace. On my 74, I used 1976 birfields, knuckles, spindles, etc to upgrade. Bought rebuilt calipers and new rotors. I am a newbie to 40s but it is doable.

Not from the knuckles out. You replace the knuckles/spindles/axle shafts/hubs on your existing axle housing with the parts from the 78 model. The 74 knuckles lack the threaded bosses to secure the disc brake calipers...
HTH,
Will
Yes, Thanks for clarifying. So just to make sure, everything from 78, knuckles/spindles/axle shafts/hubs, should fit in my 74 axle?
Stephen

Many are comfortable reassembling the front axle without using the centering tool, but you have to take special care to replace the top and bottom shims/shim stacks on both sides in the same exact location as they came off. I decided to buy a centering tool for my next axle project, upgrading the front axle in my '76 FJ40 (which already has disc brakes) to a mini-truck (birfields and knuckles)/FJ60 (vented rotors)/4-Runner (IFS calipers) set-up. Because I'm not sure about the shim history, I feel more comfortable using the tool.

Yes all should fit. Order a knuckle rebuild gasket kit from Kurt @Cruiseroutfitters.

Someone on Mud mfg some centering tools recently and they were available for sale. I was able to borrow a tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom