Different versions of genuine Toyota diesel oil filter for 1hz/1hdt/1hdft ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hmmm. So there is what seems to be a genuine made-in-Japan oil filter 90915-30002, and a genuine not-made-in-Japan oil filter 90915-30002-8T (made in Thailand). No prizes for guessing which is the cheaper one.

For anyone in the know, does that also mean the quality is significantly different? One would think Toyota wouldn't make stuff deliberately to a lower-standard...

Just wondering as my 80's due for it's next oil change soon.

This is typical of Toyota these days, while the vehicle and all its parts may be from Japan when its constructed, the on going replacement parts are made in SE Asia somewhere.
Its hard to say unless you buy one and cut it up. It may not be a Toyota factory, it could be just a sub contractor who makes filters for a price for dozens of clients.
Another reason I avoid paying Toyota's OEM part prices.

If has Toyota on it it would be up to scratch. No way Toyota would allow a sub-standard product to be made because it potentially could cause them warranty headaches and other reasons. A lot of companies these days that make stuff in se Asia have the same quality standards as their aussie (or whatever) made versions. Wether they actually are may be a different matter i suppose. If i were you I'd have absolutely no hesitation in buying the cheaper oil filter because at the end of the day it's just an oil filter. I would buy the best one if i changed the oil every 20k tho but at 5k i really can't see an issue.

In my humle opinion.

Plenty of info on 'Mud if you search.

The long and short, Japan filter is double toilet paper roll, Thailand is one part toilet paper roll and one part of your typical filter media

Ok I've tracked down a place here (genuine Toyota dealership) selling bulk packs of 10 genuine Japan-version (90915-30002) filters for under A$400 and as a bonus they also had one left of the genuine Toyota oil filter tool to suit. That'll keep me going filter-wise for a good few yrs. Most places here quote a price around A$50 for the filter, and Amayama's pricing ranges up to A$64 per filter.

Almost all the 'genuine' ones available through Ebay sellers are the Thailand version and I'd presume that's because they're priced a lot cheaper though still bearing the 'genuine Toyota' marking.

Partsouq reports over 18000 of the 8T version in stock priced just under US$20 a pop and around 3000 of the Japan version priced just under US$30 a pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom