Diff locker question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I just purchased my first LC. It's a 1999 LC 100. One owner 173k miles. Just threw some craigslist special Tundra wheels/tires on it that are a little better than the dry rotted tires that were on it. I'm starting to order all of the maintenance parts needed. The gentleman that I purchased it from is 76 years old and not in the best health. So when I asked about timing belt/fluids/plugs he really didn't provide much info. So I'm gonna assume most things have been neglected. It seems that it has spent its whole life on pavement.

The low range engages fine. However the center diff lock and rear diff lock did not engage. Found a blown fuse that seems to be for both lockers. I can get the center locker to engage and light up on the dash but when I engage the rear locker the fuse blows. Wondering if anybody has any insight on this? Is there any common problems? My only guess so far is a simple short somewhere in the rear locker wiring under the truck or inside the actuator.

Cheers!

IMG_1741.jpeg

Follow the wiring harness from the actuator, it rubs on the frame exposing wires.
99% of the times is when it goes on top of the frame on top of the passenger rear wheel.

Another possibility is, assuming you have salted roads for parts of the year, that the rear locker is corroded to a solid lump of 3 metals. Around here, the rear locker lasts about 6 years, maybe 10, before the salt has killed it.

Thanks for the advice! Hoping its the wires on top of the frame and not the locker itself. I'm gonna get a chance to look at it this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom