Diesel “LS” motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HDJdreams

SILVER Star
Threads
When they unveiled the 2019 Silverado this week, they announced it will have an available 3.0 INLINE 6 diesel!

I couldn’t help but wonder if that would fit in the 80 better than Ford and Ram’s 3.0 v6 diesels and if it would be the swap friendliest of the 3 as GM v8s are now? Doubtful as the emissions will likely be too much hassle.

But, here’s to hoping...

Also, with all 3 of the US half tons and Nissan offering diesels, would that finally pressure Toyota to offer a diesel in the Tundra? US and Euro emissions are getting closer, so they would have to figure it out for Euro 200s anyway.

I’m stoked on that!! Nissan doin diesel in their lil frontier right? So it should just be a matter of time until T catches on? Unless it’s somehow cost/profit prohibitive?

What we need to do is get the chicken tax repealed then all these sweet vehicles could just me imported as is No??

I don’t think the foreign manuf that “build” here would leave, as they already tooled up. Maybe that could be wrote into the law. Chicken tax nixed but if you pack up current production and leave we gonna tax ya higher than before?

What does LS diesel mean?

No way Toyota will have a diesel engine in the future. This topic has been discussed already and it really does not belong to 80-Series Tech chapter of this forum.

What does LS diesel mean?

No way Toyota will have a diesel engine in the future. This topic has been discussed already and it really does not belong to 80-Series Tech chapter of this forum.
Or you could, ya' know, just not read the thread or not respond if you don't have anything to add to the conversation or it doesn't interest you.

I am not interested in actually doing a motor swap, but I do think they are interesting and discussing how one might go about installing one of these motors in an 80 does seem like it's 80s Tech to me.

Now the lady that wanted to know how to fix her '86 Ford Thunderbird yesterday was definitely in the wrong place. I am still wondering what it took to get her to here in order to post that question though.:hmm:

I couldn’t help but wonder if that would fit in the 80 better than Ford and Ram’s 3.0 v6 diesels and if it would be the swap friendliest of the 3 as GM v8s are now? Doubtful as the emissions will likely be too much hassle.

You're right... A potential swap for 80's isnt related to 80 tech at all

The most common motor swap into an 80 series is a GM “LS”, Gen 3 or 4 v8. I was just wondering if GMs I6 diesel would be any more swap friendly in a few years than Ram or Fords v6 diesel.

As for Tundra and diesel, my point was that market forces may push Toyota out of “never”. Ford was “never” going to bring the Ranger back to the US a few years ago, yet it was officially unveiled this week. If ALL of Tundra’s competitors are available with a diesel, Toyota may rethink “never”.

You’re right that the Tundra speculation doesn’t belong here. As far as I know, no one has stuffed 5.7 in an 80 series. Even if Tundra had a diesel, seems like a very high hurdle if no one has managed to swap in the amazing 5.7 into an 80.

250hp and 440ft lbs would be a good match for an 80 and a 3.0L straight 6 would easily fit in the 80 series engine bay. The real question is whether GM will offer this as a crate engine as they do with their V8s.

1. LS diesel? as in, a diesel swap thats "the new ls"?
2. it will never be a crate, and if it is expect it to cost WAAAAY more than its worth in an 80.
3. You have to factor in transmission and electronics too, don't forget.
4. Toyota is going to Toyota, but don't hold your breath on a diesel. I mean, wouldn't it be great? However Toyota's looked into this in the past, when it was easier to do before VW and before the tight emissions environment and it was deemed not worth the effort. Im not saying its impossible, but I am saying its unlikely.
5. this needs to be moved to chit chat. I personally don't care, just by way of information.

Last edited:
Full size diesels tack on an extra ~$15k in problematic efficiency reducing emission systems. Its no wonder VW did what they did. The regulations are insane. Its a shame they got caught. Either way you can tally this up to why Toyota has thus far kept out of the game.

Last edited:
You know for what it cost to swap in an i6 from Chevy you could just buy a nice one with a factory diesel. Hell, can even get into the 70 series of your dreams for what it cost.

The best engine for the 80 series is the 1fz-fe. Just saying. All of these swap threads remind me of when I first bought my fj40. I wanted to pull the f engine and put a ls in it so bad. I even bought an engine and everything for the swap. But the old f engine still runs perfect. It will climb anything. I can still do 70 on the highway and it's easy to work on. I finally came to realize that swaps are pointless and sold all of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom