Diesel input requested... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

elk

Threads
I found a 1990 BJ73 with 191,xxx from Portugal. Apparently it is legally imported and listed for sale in Maryland. I am considering it but would like feedback from any members with diesel experience as to things to look out for and also any hurdles to registration that such a vehicle might pose.

If it's legally registered in MD you shouldn't have any trouble registering in PA. I believe John Stumpo might have looked at and driven this truck- he's jpsfj60 here on Mud and he might have some insight for you. As a matter of fact if you send me a personal message I'll give you his cell phone number he loves to talk Toyota diesels and all things land cruiser.

I've had three diesels, a BJ70 that I imported from Canada myself, a BJ45 that came down here from NY state, and my current HDJ81 which was imported directly from Japan by the guy in Massachusetts from whom I bought the truck. Never had any trouble getting them titled and registered here in PA and State Farm has been very cooperative insuring them, no problems in any area.

Post up the info on the truck you're looking at and maybe someone can offer suggestions or encouragement.

Thank you both. I am located in Maryland myself, but a number of you seemed knowledgeable in diesels at the smorgasbord meet and greet.

The link is provided below, and I have not seen the vehicle in person to evaluate the actual condition.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/712524830/overview/

Looks like that has a 2.5L VM Motori 4 cylinder engine... a HR492 (4 cylinders with 92mm bore) also know as a 425OHV.

That engine is not as desirable as pretty much any other Toyota deisel. It most likely has an H55 trans in it, and I beleive the input shaft of of the H55 behind a HR492 is the same that is needed for a 1HZ motor....so if the body is completely rust free and everything besides the motor is in good shape I would be looking at it with the intent of swapping in a 1HZ down the road.

That said, at that asking price, you can get a a rather low mileage JDM BJ73/4 with a 1HZ already installed...if you don't mind right hand drive of course.

@fireball has a bj74 (i think) his is a rhd version that I believe he imported from Canada. He’s pretty knowledgeable as far as what hurdles you may have to deal with sourcing parts, and plenty of other things I’m sure.

Not sure in the one you are looking at is, but Ben’s is a 24v system which can make something as minor as sourcing a bulb a PITA. At the very least I’d try and find a trustworthy local repair shop to do a pre purchase inspection. They don’t need to be Toyota experts, just someone that’s sharp enough to spot questionable repairs or something that may prove costly down the road. That’s my limited .02.

Looks like that has a 2.5L VM Motori 4 cylinder engine... a HR492 (4 cylinders with 92mm bore) also know as a 425OHV.

That engine is not as desirable as pretty much any other Toyota deisel. It most likely has an H55 trans in it, and I beleive the input shaft of of the H55 behind a HR492 is the same that is needed for a 1HZ motor....so if the body is completely rust free and everything besides the motor is in good shape I would be looking at it with the intent of swapping in a 1HZ down the road.

That said, at that asking price, you can get a a rather low mileage JDM BJ73/4 with a 1HZ already installed...if you don't mind right hand drive of course.
Never heard of this motor, is it like an LJ?
Thought BJ trucks came with 4cyl and HJ had 6cyl?
Calling @fireball and @jpsfj60

Never heard of this motor, is it like an LJ?
Thought BJ trucks came with 4cyl and HJ had 6cyl?
Calling @fireball and @jpsfj60
Some BJ73's were built by Salvadore Caetano in Portugal and then sold in Portugal and Spain.
They built these with VM Motori engines because there was a restriction on importing Japanese vehicles in the 80's and early 90's.

Do yourself a favor and if at all serious about this truck contact John Stumpo. I am certain he test drove this truck and was going to trade his M5 BMW on it.

I don't think you'll be too happy with that engine. For a similar price you can get a nice BJ74 from Steve @ LCD. Or even a HZJ73.

Both of those would be RHD, but IMO far better options than this one. It is cool and fun to have a RHD vehicle. It takes about 5 minutes to get used to it. Unless this was going to be a daily sitting in rush hour traffic I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

The 13bt in my BJ74 is a great little engine with plenty of power to run down the highway at 70 and tons of low end torque for on the trail.

I don't think you'll be too happy with that engine. For a similar price you can get a nice BJ74 from Steve @ LCD. Or even a HZJ73.

Both of those would be RHD, but IMO far better options than this one. It is cool and fun to have a RHD vehicle. It takes about 5 minutes to get used to it. Unless this was going to be a daily sitting in rush hour traffic I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

The 13bt in my BJ74 is a great little engine with plenty of power to run down the highway at 70 and tons of low end torque for on the trail.
I have had three right hand drive vehicles and never had any trouble getting used to the wheel being on the right side. I don't think I'd personally buy a stick shift RHD though- shifting with my left hand did feel odd. And once in a while I turn on the wipers when wanting to indicate a turn- oh yeah I also occasionally open the left side door to get in to drive and find that there is no steering wheel there........... having said all that the trip to CO went quite well this year no problems at all associated with the truck being RHD.

And, Chris Spaulding has a very nice looking BJ71 on MUD, damn clean truck and if I remember correctly it's LHD. Check it out!

Driving stick with my left hand was no problem in Ireland the hard part was driving on the other side of the road. I had funny dreams when I got home after that. As a side note if the pedals would of been backwards I would of gone back into the rental company and demanded a auto no matter the price. I also think the turn signal on the left is a bad idea with a RHD stick shift.

And once in a while I turn on the wipers when wanting to indicate a turn

I have that sort of issue just switching between vehicles.

worst part of getting used to rhd is the center mirror IMO that and always feeling like you are leaning to the right haha

VM motor: piece of sssshhhhheeeeeaaaat.

Pass.
This carries some weight. All of the replies and input are appreciated. I will be looking elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom